Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Postseason Baseball 2004

Articles

Default Postseason Baseball 2004

The playoffs are finally upon us! Thirty teams have been whittled to eight, and in the coming weeks, one will be named a champion.

American League
    Minnesota Twins over New York Yankees, 3-0

This is going to be my bold prediction. Johan Santana leads a staff that led the AL in ERA and was second in WHIP. Despite trading Gold Glove first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz to the Boston Red Sox and losing rookie catcher Joe Mauer and second baseman Luis Rivas for extended periods of time, the team's trademark solid defense shined. While they don't possess an offense like the Yankees (New York scored 100+ more runs than Minnesota), recent history suggests that pitching is king in October.

That, unfortunately, is something that the Yankees lack. There are no sure things in their rotation. Mike Mussina was their best in September (3-1, 2.38), but will he show up or will the Mussina from July and August show up (0-4, 9.00)? The bullpen, already bearing a huge burden, might not hold. In the meantime, the Twins can march out J.C. Romero and Juan Rincon to get the ball to Joe Nathan, who has been arguably the best closer in baseball.

The Yankee lineup may put up a huge fight against Santana and Brad Radke, but I'm betting against it. Power pitching will prevail against power hitting, and the Twins will advance.

Boston Red Sox over Anaheim Angels, 3-2

This is the most intriguing matchup in all of the Divisional Series. While the Red Sox Nation would've liked to capture a division title, they'll settle for another wild card appearance and root for a Boston team that most believe (including myself) has a much better chance of winning the World Series than last year's edition.

The Angels, on the other hand, are a much more highly priced version of the team that won the World Series in 2002. They make contact, they wreak havoc the basepaths, and complement their fundamental offense with solid starting pitching and a lights-out bullpen.

Curt Schilling and Pedro Martinez have been every bit as good as expected, but whether the Red Sox advance or not will depend on whether someone can step up in rotation behind those two. Right now, Bronson Arroyo stands to pitch Game 3 at Fenway, which isn't all bad when you consider he pitched solidly in September. In this respect, they have a leg up on the Angels, who had rotation issues all season. If the Angels offense can get a lead to Frankie Rodriguez, Troy Percival and company, however, it'll be very hard for the Sox to score runs late. Against a Boston team that led the majors in runs scored, holding them down for six or seven innings will be crucial.

Both teams have been here before, but I give the advantage to the Red Sox simply because I think they're the better team. It won't be an easy series -- it never is with Boston -- but they'll get by and move on.

National League
    St. Louis Cardinals over Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-1

Odalis Perez, the Dodgers "ace", openly proclaimed that if his team could take down the Cardinals in the NLDS, they would be the world champions. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are many reasons why St. Louis won 105 games, most of which concerned an offense that features three MVP-caliber players (Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols) and which led the NL in runs scored and team average. Their pitching, which everyone pointed to as a reason they wouldn't make the playoffs to begin, has been better than L.A.'s all year long. Don't let the stories about Chris Carpenter fool you: Woody Williams, Jason Marquis and Matt Morris have combined for a 21-9 record since the beginning of July. If you take away what are essentially throwaway starts from the last week or so, that improves to something like 21-5.

Many might say that the Dodgers hold an edge in the bullpen, but I'm not so sure. Dealing Guillermo Mota to the Florida Marlins is slowly catching up with Eric Gagne, who now has no true setup man and has been saddled with more and more work to the point where his arm was beginning to bother him by season's end. If he's not right, this series will be over in a hurry.

That's not to say it won't be, but you understand.

Atlanta Braves over Houston Astros, 3-1

Surprise, surprise, Atlanta's back in the postseason party. Not a lot of people expected them to clinch an unprecedented 13th straight division title, but they went the extra mile by essentially winning the division in August. The bigger surprise, though, is the fact that the Houston Astros are alive and kicking after being left for dead at .500 during the All-Star Break.

The Astros have won 18 straight at home in Minute Maid Park, but what they do in Turner Field in Games 1 and 2 will determine how the series plays out. They'll send out their best, Roy Oswalt and Roger Clemens, and might need to win both games to have the best shot at taking the series.

If Atlanta can salvage a split before heading to Houston, I think the Braves will be in great shape. The Astros don't have a legitimate number three starter, and will be relying on Brandon Backe against a revitalized Mike Hampton in Game 3. Not only that, but the Braves have historically had Houston's number, dominating their three previous playoff series.

Chances are that the Braves will surprise everyone by upending Clemens or Oswalt at home (or maybe both), and put the squeeze on the 'Stros at Minute Maid Park. Ultimately, pitching depth will decide this series, and Atlanta has the edge.

American League Championship Series
    Minnesota Twins over Boston Red Sox, 4-2

National League Championship Series
    St. Louis Cardinals over Atlanta Braves, 4-3

World Series
    Minnesota Twins over St. Louis Cardinals, 4-2

You can give your opinion, ask questions or talk about whatever baseball. So what do you all think?

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Braves will dominate Houston like they have the last two times the teams met in the postseason. St Louis will probably handle the Dodgers without too much trouble. I think the Angels will be very tough for the Red Sox, but I think the Sox will prevail in 5. The Yankees will be tough as always but Minnesota will knock off the evil empire. I'm rooting for an old school Boston World Series, Red Sox vs Braves.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Delete in the Baseball Preseason Report
    Personally I see Anaheim returning to the form they were in two years ago and making it to the WS. From the NL I'd say either Houston or Chicago.
    Pretty good picking I'd say. Might as well stick to my guns and pick Houston over Anaheim. Go 'Stros!

I bought a portable radio at Best Buy today so I can listen to the games at work. I'm stoked about the playoffs, though my Bay Area teams were a combined two games out of the running. Baseball postseason is always a magical experience. There is a lot of games and I think you can get something different in each one to make it exciting, unlike the NBA. And football goes to quickly.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm happy as long as the Yankees and Dodgers fail to make it to the World Series.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm glad all the teams I picked to win so far won game 1. Now the BRaves have to keep it up. For the record, the Braves are 9-1 vs the Astros in the playoffs, winnign all three NLDS meetings.

The Astros completely dominated the Braves today. Sorry, Eest, but the Astros look mighty tough, though if they lose Beltran for some time, that could be a problem.

And what a game in the Bronx, the Yogism still holds true.

Take care all.

It was all Twins' management. They knew they had left Nathan in too long, but they still kept him in longer. It bit them in the butt.

On a lighter note, Kevin Brown pitches in Game 3. That should be a laugher. Go Twins!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One thing this year's Braves team has that recent ones haven't is heart. They have to earn every win they get, they had to come back in the second half, and they don't give up. Plus, the Braves have better third and fourth starters than the Astros. The Astros are the hot team, but the Braves are the better team.

edit: see
    Last edited by eestlinc; 10-08-2004 at 12:58 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What about that win steak at Minute Maid? Houton was my pick to win it all at the beginning of the season and they still are now.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

18 straight home wins? Not going to last much longer. The Braves are actually going to score some runs out there. A few years ago the Astros won game 1 against the Braves 6-1 and then proceeded to lose three straight. The Astros were up 2-0 in the 7th and their "great closer" Lidge loses the lead. The Braves bullpen didn't give up a single hit. in 5.2 innings. The Braves have been getting tons of baserunners against the Astros good pitchers. Against the weak pitchers they will actually drive them in.

I just hope the Yankees LOSE.
    I hate them.

Articles

About that Joe Nathan thing...

I can understand what Ron Gardenhire was trying to do. When you're staring down the heart of one of the strongest lineups in the league, you want your best man on the mound. Nathan, as some of you might know, used to be a starter before reinventing himself as a top setup man in San Francisco in 2003. He's also the Twins' best pitcher now, no surprise, lights-out as he was all season long. It would've been a tremendous risk to bring in J.C. Romero, a lefty, and so I'm not gonna hold the backfire against Gardenhire.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Boston looks pretty unstoppable right now. At least my A's could get two games off them. What an embarrasment for Anaheim.

Somebody get baseball a salary cap. No luxury tax. It's just chunk change to NY.

It's like this every year. NY teases us that they'll lose by droping the first game...then proceeds to come back THREE ING TIMES to beat Minnesota.

And why was Santana let go after 87 pitches? Gawd. Here we go again...Boston teasing us like they'll actually win and NY teases us like they'll actually lose...only to tease us all again.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

the American League is for suckers