Thread: The Horror of Hard Work Lost

Articles

The Horror of Hard Work Lost

When was the last time you lost a lot of work because of something that went unexpectantly wrong?

I was workin' on a bit of my story the other day. Now, I'm not normally "like WOW" with any of the work that I do, but the stuff I was writing was brilliant stuff. It had everything I wanted: tension, action, energy... and then, of course, something had to go wrong.

Something happened with the computer I was using and I ended up losing the whole post. I was mad, safe to say, and it still sucks two days later. I probably won't end up workin' on it for another week now.

That happens to me when I'm working on a story or a picture. It pisses me off to no end.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I was writing a long drawn out review for a video I had just seen on AMV.org. It was by far the longest review I'd ever written, and I had just got done, I clicked the submit button, and then "This Page Cannot Be Displayed", so I push back, and EVERYTHING is gone. I was so mad because I had spent atleast a good hour on this review, that I didn't go back to the site for like a week. I was just so mad and I never did go back and redo the review.

There have also been a few times I was doing a very leghty post here and then it wouldn't end up posting...thats why now I always copy it all before I hit submit.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, it is bad sometimes, but when the work is an elaborate scheme to take over the world I am more than glad to put a stop to it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

The save function is your friend. If you're doing a long forum post, use notepad or pico or nedit or whatever :D

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never worked in my life, thankfully.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's happened to me at work quite often. I get so into what I'm typing that I forget to save and then this little window will pop up saying <i>Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will have to shut down.</i> Pages of work and formatting all gone, but I can't just forget about it 'cause it's work so I have to do it over again...only faster this time because I'm losing time.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Well, the other day, I was working on a review for Finalgaming, and I could've sworn that I saved my work, only when I went to reopen it, I discovered that I had literally -lost- my work. Not because of a computer crash or anything, I just couldn't find it.

I typed up my french homework, added the accents on the e's and everything, and made it fine and dandy. I clicked print and closed the window and then it told me I was out of ink. So I had to retype it on the laptop and print it downstairs.

Moral: SAVESAVESAVE.
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps

Never lost anything due to my computer being silly. Only once at school, but those computers are extremely crappy.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

This is happened to me before, which is why I always do hard copy drafts before typing it into a word processor, and when doing that I save often.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    I've never worked in my life, thankfully.

I never had a problem like that.

:whaaa: I've adopted this smiley

Ye-e-e-e-s! I was typing up my story, and the next thing I know when I start the computer up, C:\ went ka-boom! Also, I had made a Remote script for IRC, and I had it on seven different .ini Documents. Put together, it made 15,007 lines, but oh well--that's life.