Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Films

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Foreign Films

Personally, I think foreign movies are much better than American ones. I'm tired of silly little little predictable, chick flicks. But that's just me. *shrugs* With foriegn movies, you never really know what's going to happen.

I just got done watching Y Tu Mama Tambien---excellent, I think. Run Lola Run (German) is one of my favorite movies of all time, along with Amelie.

--Box Box Box Box

I haven't seen very many foreign films, but the ones I have seen are great. They are never as corny as Hollywood movies, and yes, a foreign film beats out any chick flick any time of day. Period.

Amelie, by the way was an AWESOME movie. It was damn weird, but all foreign films are somehwat strange. I recommend it to everyone.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

There's plenty of bad movies from every part of the world. And plenty of nasty chick flicks.

But my favorites usually come from England, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Help!, A Hard Day's Night... I usually dont have the pleasure of watching those from other countries. Just never get around to it I suppose. Hero is supposed to be really good, as is Suicide Club (Japanese), I wanna see those.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Delicatessen

Das Boot.

Banned

Life of Brian, The first Matrix, Pulp fiction and Fight Club are amongst my favourite foreign films.
    There are lots more, but I can't come think of all of them right now, because of all the music in the background.

The Monty Python movies were great. Never got into Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon though, ending sucked. I would like to see Hero though...

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Blinkende lygter (flickering lights)
    I kina spiser de hunde (In china they eat dogs)
    Gamle mænd i nye bile (In china they eat dogs 2: old men in new cars)
    Nattevagten (Nightwatch)

The ones in the parenthesis's is the official English titles and the names outside the parenthesis's is the original name.

Quote Originally Posted by Levian
    Blinkende lygter (flickering lights)
    I kina spiser de hunde (In china they eat dogs)
    Gamle mænd i nye bile (In china they eat dogs 2: old men in new cars)
    Nattevagten (Nightwatch)

The ones in the parenthesis's is the official English titles and the names outside the parenthesis's is the original name.
    Oh my god, that's so funny. I didn't know that Danish films, especially the ones you mentioned, was known outside the borders of Denmark... All of them are typical Danish films. By the way, Lasse Spang Olsen is coming out with a new movie called, Inkasso.

Hmm, in my personal opinion Non-American films can be just as bad as American films. You can't really divide films in to groups like that. Of course I know that European films have kind of an edge compared to the American ones (Hollywood *cough*)... and that's only obvious because the way of making movies are so different around the world...

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Re: Foreign Films

Jean de Florette.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Default Re: Foreign Films

Run Lola Run is one of my favorite films. The City of the Lost Children, Amelie, Happenstance and some others that aren't popping into my head right now. Run Lola Run is my favorite though <3
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I don't think it is a fair generalization to say foreign movies are downright better than American made movies. There will always be good and bad movies from any country. Keeping that frame of mind will only lessen the enjoyable experience you may have when viewing homemade movies. It would be comparable to saying subtitles are better than dubs. I know its a preference, but I've always thought it just a bit close minded to think that way.

I myself prefer dubbing to subtitling, but I will admit they won't be better. Off hand Sailormoon immediately comes to mind as something that is far better subbed than dubbed.

As far as foreign movies go my favorite is probably Nosferatu. I've been hearing about a movie based on the Nibulengenlied (will it have to do with Wagner?) starring my man Julian Sands called Kingdom in the Twilight. I know this movie is going to kick all sorts of ass. I've read the Nibulengenlied and I think it would make an excellent movie. I hope it gets released in America. I'd like to see some big screen representations of Sigfried, Sigmund, Kriemhild, and of course my man Hagen.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yeah, yeah; there are good and bad movies from either...continent, country, whatever. But a lot of the movies over here, lately, I haven't liked. They all seem to be the same, following the same formula. All the foreign movies I've watched don't care for that, which is refreshing. I like not knowing what's going to happen for once.

--Box Box Box Box

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Breine
    Oh my god, that's so funny. I didn't know that Danish films, especially the ones you mentioned, was known outside the borders of Denmark... All of them are typical Danish films. By the way, Lasse Spang Olsen is coming out with a new movie called, Inkasso.
    Somehow, I really really like the humour in those movies. Somehow it's different from the humour in Hollywood movies. Maybe it's more subtle? I don't know. I always try turning off the subtitles when it comes to Danish movies, since many of the points doesn't really come through that well in the text. Oh, and I find the plot of Gamle mænd i nye bile to be hilarious! I mean, look at the characters! One crazy leader (Harald), two chefs that gets drawn into criminality, and Vuk (He's a case for himself), and the match-up of the women who wants to take suicide(Iben hjeile or something like that) and the man that wants to kill women. Great casting. Ok, I'm really babbling now. I could talk for hours about movies. Anyway, I heard Inkasso would come to the cinemas in Norway, but I haven't seen it yet. Too bad Mads Mikkelsen and Nikolaj Lie Kaas backed out of that movie though.

Edit: Ok do you know what happened in "Sidste Time"? What was up with that movie? Whenever the kids inside looked out of the building, they didn't see anyone, but there were tons of people outside.. and who was the killer? :/

Now that I think of it, other than a few crappy flicks, all other films/movies are foriegn to me...

I <3 Canada!