Thread: Finding A Party

Default Finding A Party

What I fear about ffXI is that I wouldn't have enough money to buy it :shame: and that if I did get it I would not be able to form a group with people which I have heard is nessesary at some point. Is it difficult because I have enough trouble as it is to find friends in real life. At least I could fake my identity as a hot girl. Then I would have no problems finding friends. On another note, is this game worth it to waste the money on.

This game is not worth wasting money on... It's worth investing money on. Seriously, like all MMORPGs out there, you're monthly fee is likely alot less than any video game rentals you take out at the store. Also, you can make that kind of money in 1-2 hours at your regular job, or mow the lawn for your parents, or clean the house, or whatever.

PTing is forced very early, which is a big beef for alot of people, but we all keep doing it and we all keep having fun. Later on, like around my highest lvl job of 49, it can be a real pain sometimes, but that really all depends on what jobs people are looking to add to their PT at the time, who is actually online, whether or not you become accustomed to the remarkably simple translator and pay a bit of attention to etiquette, ect.

I don't know, it's difficult to compare a game like this to others, since it's so unique on so many lvls, but if you're not prepraed to commit a serious few hours to the game when you load it up, then perhaps the game isn't for you. For one, you could always troll around more forums and read people's pros and cons on it. Allakhazam's WoW forums spring to mind if you'd like to get the opinions of others from a more con point of view... although again, that's still like comparing apples to oranges.

Myself, after a whole year in the game, I've met a slew of wonderful people, I've had some good times, some bad times, and overall I've been entertained. I feel my time in the game coming to close in the near future, but it has definitely been worht it. Even if I hadn't have kept my subscription after the initial month that comes with purchase, I'd still have had no regrets about dropping the cash on this game. For me, it would have been worth it just to have said "I checked it out, I have my own opinion."

It's worth buying it. Or at least I think so.

Partying is froced very early as Ichy said above, I do n't neccesarilly have a beef for it, but I guess I'm not a loner like everyone else is. Yes it is hard at times to find a party(a good party at that). It takes sometime, I heard someone from my linkshell said that they were looking for a pt for 2 hours.

People that play are nice people. They give you advice, save your life a couple times, maybe even give you some early on equipment. I think it's a fun community to play in.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyday I wish that I could be the one, for you...

The only con to being forced to party is that you aren't allowed any creativity in job class combinations. You're forced to design your character with party efficiency in mind. Everything, from what you have to use as a subjob, to what equipment your character has to use at what level, is already set in stone. People aren't very tolerant of deviation from the norm. A common statement seems to be "You can make your character however you like, but we don't have to party with you", in terms of using unorthodox character design. You'll quickly learn to yield to the wishes of the party, because the only alternative is not progressing, because enemies are too strong to handle alone.

That said, most people are pretty nice, and for the most part, the job combinations that people do accept are pretty good. FFXI is a lot of fun, but it takes a certain frame of mind do well. You either learn to put everyone else above yourself fairly early, or you end up losing interest for lack of progress.
    Knock yourselves down.

Yes the thing is that, there ARE optimal subjob combinations and non-optimal. Like WAR/SMN, that while interesting, isnt of any use, a WAR/NIN is better. THe thing is that is to look at the party's benefit like most japanese ppl do, becuase exping can take some time, and the more party friendly and efficient you are, the faster exp can flow and more progression.

I think the point of certain subjobs is that, people that imported and the japanese that had this game for two years already proved that certain support jobs are better than others fulfilling your main job's role, thats why most arent in love with different combinations unless you can prove to them that it can work and very well at it.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Garland
    The only con to being forced to party is that you aren't allowed any creativity in job class combinations. You're forced to design your character with party efficiency in mind. Everything, from what you have to use as a subjob, to what equipment your character has to use at what level, is already set in stone. People aren't very tolerant of deviation from the norm. A common statement seems to be "You can make your character however you like, but we don't have to party with you", in terms of using unorthodox character design. You'll quickly learn to yield to the wishes of the party, because the only alternative is not progressing, because enemies are too strong to handle alone.
    But you're completely free when you're farming/questing/exploring. I play around with all kinds of combinations when i'm not partying. drk/rng sam/drk, etc. Some of them are crazy fun to just play around with. But when I go to party, I'm so glad to have my tried-and-true subjob. Playing around while solo makes you appreciate the strength of certain combinations.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

You don't need to make friends to join a party. Consider your party members more like co-workers, as that's basically what it is. If you're partying for a long time, some of you will take breaks, some of you will engage in small talk, some of you will be completely silent. Your role as an adventurer is an occupation, and so is everyone else's; that being said, rarely will you find a party where everyone is really good friends.

Sometimes there will be parties where you might invite a friend or two, but everyone advances at their own speeds and eventually someone will be left behind.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

However if you have friends with common leveling times and the right jobs you can form a static party and schedule to exp at certain times with your friends only. This can prove to be beneficial and more fun..as well as mutually benefitcial in terms of exp and help.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

From what I've seen, static parties aren't really a good idea unless you're friends with them outside of FINAL FANTASY XI. There is too much drama for six people to successfully coexist and form a party together for a long time.

But, like lionx said, it can be a great thing if you go with someone from a message board or a friend from school or something.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

This game is worth it big time, i mean if u play a free mmorpg when the servers is down ITS DOWN. With this game i remember a patch that had bugs they then fixed it withing 3 hours and everyone was back on...if you wonder they make you pay, its for customer service. if any of you have played diablo 2 whats the problem there, its free and battle.net knows it and can take their time cause no one pays for it. if ssuqare did nothing when theres problems aklot of people would stop playing and paying...so your paying for service!
    Final Fantasy Tactis Is The Best Game Of Life.

We pay for: Electricity to run servers, matienence, patches, GM Service, development for further expansions, and everything..this isnt a run of the mill server..

I personally have an SPT (although some are still catching up) from ppl in the LS and only one of them is a friend i know irl..everyone else is from the game. But i guess its rare to find that..

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3