Thread: Fisherman´s Horizon

Default Fisherman´s Horizon

Hey,I am thinking,how did the Estharians cross the Salt Lake?
    It was a Lake back there.
    And how was the horizon bridge built?
    The bridge have great columns that sits on the Sea floor and extends very far.
    Here is the answer:
    FH is not only a city but a ship working with different forms of energy.
    The three mettalic floors enables them to build the bridge and to clean it.
    It could even be that it has subaquatic floors or the factories along with the mayors house served to cover people underwater (supposing it works as a submarine).
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar
    Hey,I am thinking,how did the Estharians cross the Salt Lake?
    It was a Lake back there.
    Boats and bridges are quite plausible explanations. Both of those things could have deteriorated over time, thus explaining why no sign remains of them. Salt lakes have very high bouyancy, so large floating platforms could also have been used. They may also have gone over the mountains surrounding the lake.
    And how was the horizon bridge built?
    The bridge have great columns that sits on the Sea floor and extends very far.
    Here is the answer:
    FH is not only a city but a ship working with different forms of energy.
    The three mettalic floors enables them to build the bridge and to clean it.
    It could even be that it has subaquatic floors or the factories along with the mayors house served to cover people underwater (supposing it works as a submarine).
    ...What would be the point, though? There are factories in FH; they're plainly visible on the surface. The Horizon Bridge connects the eastern and western continents, that's all. The town of FH was founded by Esthar scientists who were ousted by Adel. FH allows them to live in peaceful seclusion, while preserving their technology and pacifist ideals.

As for the construction of Horizon Bridge... the Deep Sea Research Centre proves that (in FFVIII's world) it's fairly simple to build a column that extends right down to the sea floor.

Nothing in the game ever suggests that FH is mobile, though.

I have my own question about FH. What exactly is that big blue ditch? The mayor lives in the middle of it, but what is the big blue crater like thing for? Is it just for decoration?

Sun panels, how would they get their energy else

- - - - - - - - - -
    Join Aura - Or someone else will!

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the blue disc is an extensive network of solar paneling. Given the hippy-ish nature of the FH inhabitants, and the necessity of providing plenty of energy with little surface area to build power plants on (and being cut off from energy sources on the mainland), it seems fitting that FH would power itself through enviornmental means. The FH introductory FMV also shows a network of wind turbines, which most likely also serve as energy producers.

As for crossing the lake, how did any people on our own planet cross lakes? Boats and rafts seem easy answers, especially given the natural buoyancy of a salt lake. Given the technological advancement of the Estharian culture, however, I think any kind of craft probably would have sufficed.

And the bridge? As Big D said, the FF8 world's ocean floor seems to work in favor of building such structures. I'm assuming that the ocean floor is relatively flat and probably not all that deep (Deep Sea research center is a RELATIVE term, after all. It could be deep for them but relatively shallow compared to Earth's oceans). Why do I say shallow? Well, there are a number of reasons, such as no craft larger than the Gardens takes to the seas and there seems to be little evidence of giagantic sea creatures, but the biggest reason is the underwater railroad system. I forget where - correct me if I'm wrong - but I recall one railroad going underwater and coming back up somewhere else - Balamb to Timber perhaps? In any case, there is a reason that we don't have transatlantic railroads. The English Chunnel is feat enough. If such a thing is possible, than the ocean's depth and floor flatness is probably workable enough to construct the bridge.

Finally - a mobile FH? I don't think so. Why didn't they submerge to escape Galbadian attacks? Also, submerging would cut them off from 1. Their energy supply, which is solar and wind powered, and 2. Their material supplies - which are imported from Galbadia and Esthar along the horizon railroad. I'm not sure it can detach itself from the bridge either - the railroad network seems pretty well integrated into the town.

Intreresting thoughts.
    I will resume what you said and give my opinions on the middle.
    "The oceans in FFVIII were flat and little deep."
    That´s because of three things:
    1- WOTC
    2-What happens in my Planet-Moon theory (WOTC needed to explain this)
    3-The ocean around Balamb (and Fishermans) is not a natural ocean but the result of a flood (see the art Gallery on Ultimecia´s Castle).
    The ocean around The DSRC also.
    If 3 is false,1 or 2 stands.If 3 and 2 were false at least 1 is true and etc...
    "Why didn´t they submerge to escape Galbadian attacks?"
    Because the mayor knows that nor the city nor the people nor Ellone were the targets.
    They just wanna Seed out of the city.(No,i am not referring to the mayor).This is so evident to me. In the same manner Odine knows the city was not the target of Pandora.Estharians have predictive capabilities.
    "Submerge will cut them of solar and wind energy"
    Light reach some level underwater.Only the wind will be cutted.But I think FH is multifunctioning so they might have another form of energy below the city (it can´t be seen by the surface).I think they don´t need to use the same form of energy every time do they?It can change according to the environment.
    "It will cut them from materials"
    I think the mayor`s house can serve as a closed environment to go underwater.Also,there are houses and inns on the south side of the city.
    The factories themselves were not entirely with machinery were they? there could be rooms there to cover people underwater (even knowing it hasn´t windows).
    You don´t even know what is below the city.
    Oh and I am saying that the ship can submerge,not that it submerge all the time.
    Even Galbadia Garden can go underwater.Or how do you think Seifer found Lunatic Pandora?The big ring thing seems to be in a position to submerge.
    "The city is detached to the bridge"
    Every railroad is constructed on little pieces that can be separated.There are technicians on FH for what?
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Your going far to deep into this, fishermans horrizen is a small town on the horrizen bridge. It gains power Via the sun and wind. Thats all, its nothing else. The sea floor can vary greatly from area to area, the sea floor around balamb is probably shallow and sturdy, and therefore easy to bore through. Besides that tunnel maywell be there channel tunnel, there not going to go into a great history on a tunnel.
    Last edited by Wuggly Blight; 10-24-2004 at 02:17 PM.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

FH transposes the ocean and connects both the East and West via it's intercontinental railway , closed in the aftermath of the Sorceress War between Galbadia and Esthar. Both sides almost certainly used the railway as a means of advancing into enemy territory - FH could have been destroyed in ensuing conflict !

This way , FH would be of vital strategic importance for either side.

I think FH founded afterwoods so it wasnt of real intrest afterwoods, not being at war and having to recover and all, besides Esthar went into isolation during this time. It was this time when the bridge was closed that a bunch of hippys set up shop so the speak.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"