Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grudge SPOILERS

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Default The Grudge SPOILERS

Scariest movie ever. Dear God, I nearly wet myself at least 10 times. The one part that will keep me up for the rest of my life was that scene in the bedroom where the girl shows up under the covers. AHHGAHGAGH;DGLHKDSAGHK. Wow....
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

I must agree. I've never been known to call a movie freaky but this one really freaked me out. It was just really disturbing and I loved it and I'm about to go see it again. I love the games it plays with your mind. But now I will have to spend the next month explaining to people how it WASN'T copying the Ring. BTW, for those who have seen the original JU-ON, (which I havn't) would you say it's better as originals usually are?
    **insert catchy sig**

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

This movie, despite having hollywood actors/resses, is still directed by the Japanese director of the Ju-On trilogy, so....it should be scary as poo.

*can't wait to wet myself again*

all i know is that every japanise demon/gost/evil spirit has a cellphone and YOUR number.

I've never been a fan of Japanese horror movies because the plot is very circular.

I'm contemplating watching this one because a lot of Japanese horror movies have severely disappointed me in the past, but if more good reviews are up, I might consider it.

Yea, I really enjoyed The Grudge. I've seen the first Japanese made-for-TV movie (I think it's called Jo-on: The Curse) and the actualy Ju-on: The Grudge movie. I have to say that both are pretty lame in comparison to the remake. It's obvious that the Japanese ones really suffered from low budget. The American remake was kinda how I think the director invisioned the movies to be had they had more money. The American one is kinda of a mishmash of the TV movies and the actual movie... it leaves out a few stories from both to create a more streamlined movie that focuses on one character (the Japanese ones focus on several characters and often jumps back and forth through time, which takes a little getting used to.) The Japanese movies also leave a lot of unanswered questions and left me with a 'wtf just happened?' feeling. The American one was much more frightening, thanks to a few special effects here and there. There is just one part involving a TV that they left out of the American one, which is a shame since I thought that was one of the scariest parts the Japanese movie.

Also, (SPOILER)who the heck killed the detective in the American movie? It definitely wasn't a ghost since the ghosts never kill by drowning their victims. I couldn't tell who it was through the water, but he was definitely a live person. Anyone know who it was and how he was able to escape the curse?
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

I also saw the original a while back, I would have to say they are equal. The remake was definately more visually stunning as I thought the directing of photography was excellent and beautiful. The only crit I had with the remake was that I felt as if the "girl under the covers" scene was sort of butchered. It was still freaky as hell, but in the Japanese version I thought it was a much more effective scene, for one, as Batchao said, the T.V. scene was left out, which should have been seconds before this scene, enhancing it. And then finally, in the remake you see the covers moving before she looks under, in the original she just sort of looks down and sees her in the darkness under the covers and it's almost heart-stopping frightening.

Anyway for those curious the T.V. scene consisted of the following: After jumping in bed frightened she tries to take her mind off of the weird things going on and turns on the television. A news reporter is on the television and is casually talking about something in the news and then the picture starts going haywire and messing up, she starts freaking out and presses the power button on the remote but the T.V. won't turn off. All of the sudden the television freezes on a scene of the news reporters face all digitally distorted and it looks freaky as hell, then it starts making the familiar noise "ehhhh~hhh~hhh" The T.V. flips off by itself and then the following scenes happen, rabbits foot in hand (teddy bear in japanese version) and girl under the covers.

Another difference in the remake I thought was sort of lame was the ending. In the original, as was previously mentioned, there is less giveaways and the story is really ambiguous. I, for one, really liked the ambiguity of the original and thought alot of the "sense-making" was unnecessary. In the remake she tries to burn down the house, etc. And then the movie ends in that hospital or whatever. In the original, they all die, there is never an attempt to destroy the house, and then the movie ends with a pan to the attic of the dead woman... slowly creep in on her face... Then her eyes pop open "ehhh~hhh~hhh~hhh" cut to black. >> Credits roll. Perfect ending in my opinion. Although the remake one was decent also.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Another difference in the remake I thought was sort of lame was the ending. In the original, as was previously mentioned, there is less giveaways and the story is really ambiguous. I, for one, really liked the ambiguity of the original and thought alot of the "sense-making" was unnecessary. In the remake she tries to burn down the house, etc. And then the movie ends in that hospital or whatever. In the original, they all die, there is never an attempt to destroy the house, and then the movie ends with a pan to the attic of the dead woman... slowly creep in on her face... Then her eyes pop open "ehhh~hhh~hhh~hhh" cut to black. >> Credits roll. Perfect ending in my opinion. Although the remake one was decent also.
    Actually, the detective does try to burn down the house in the Japanese movie, but fails since he is distracted by a noise, but this happens way before the end of the movie, Rika (the Karen character in the Japanese film) doesn't revisit the house again until the end. The ending from the American movie was taken from the first TV movie. It's pretty similar with the hair growing out of the bed and everything, though I don't remember the specifics.

I thought the crazy ambiguity of the original Japanese movies was so confusing, it made me dislike them. Rika comes to some sort of revelation at the end of the last movie about looking at the ghost through your hands, but I couldn't figure out what the heck she had figured out. Then the husband comes out and kills her, but he's not all pale and white, leading me to believe he's not a ghost, but he obviously died before. It was really confusing.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by BatChao
    Also, (SPOILER)who the heck killed the detective in the American movie? It definitely wasn't a ghost since the ghosts never kill by drowning their victims. I couldn't tell who it was through the water, but he was definitely a live person. Anyone know who it was and how he was able to escape the curse?
    It was a ghost, but it was the father. He drowned somebody in the flashback of his rampage.

I saw it last night. The chick was creepy, but the premise is just kinda silly. I keep trying to justify how it would work out, but I just can't let myself take it too seriously.

I watched the film the other day and it makes you think twice when your in your bed, going up to your attic or going up an elevator..........SCARY!!

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Meh. I saw it just last night. Honestly, it wasn't bad...at all. But, to be honest, I didn't want to be scared (I don't exactly like the feeling that I'm having a heart attack) so I just predicted where all the "jumps" were going to be---which is pretty damn easy in a horror movie. The only times I sort of jumped was when my friend (who wanted to sit next to my other friends so he could scare them) grabbed my leg right when a "boo!" was coming along.

It was a little disturbing, at some parts though. Particularly when she was crawling down the stairs, around when Karen was going to burn down the house. The whole jerky-movement thing...ick.

But eh. No big deal for me...I won't be having any nightmares.

--Box Box Box Box

That movie totally creeped me out. That chick was friggin' scary. And the kid wasn't too pleasant either. xD *shudders*

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i,m actually a big fan of japanese horror...films or games...but this bored me. It did not have the feel of a japanese horror classic...it resorted to shock tactics and chessy melodrama, as opposed to a constant lingering tension that things like Silent Hill exhibit.

my verdict...VERY disapointing.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

OMG!! Thos movie scared the sh*t out of me!! And by the way, Ju-On is TOTALLY not better than The Grudge! Its really stupid!

Smile and Be happy :love: louby_4eva's Avatar

first time I watched the grudge I got my lil sister to watch it with me, we were jumping and screaminga dneverything, I watched it last night as well and it still made me jump and scream (SPOILER)especially that bit when Karen opens the door and that womans head comes down, or when the boy attacks Mathew. Oh yeah and the reflection on the bus.