Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: English voices or Japanese voices?

Default English voices or Japanese voices?

I'm praying for the love of god they include the Japanese voices in the american release. FFX was terrible (in terms of sound tolerability) because of the lack thereof. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Trumpet Thief: *breaks through window holding trumpet* Truly, they are probably going to have American voice actors. In most cases, that is the ultimatum.

Grimace: *topples over* FFX's was alright. I'll admit.. Tidus' voice got very annoying at times when he was whining... *explodes*

chaos: Yes, it was. You should rather pray that the American voice acting for FFXII is good.

Trumpet Thief: *Runs off with Trumpet*

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Disgaea had the option of using Japanese or English voices, so I hope XII follows suit.

I highly doubt they will offer the option. Final Fantasy XII proves to be a huge game with hours of audio for spoken dialogue, adding the Japanese audio track would be a lot more space, they would probably have to print double the amount of discs which would raise the price of the production phenomonally. I am hoping they manage to pull it off somehow as well, not that I don't like the english dubs they've done so far... I just like the option. Adds replayability.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFX's world was largely based on Okinawa, so I would've liked to have played it with Japanese voice acting. In a western fantasy setting like Ivalice, though, I'll take my English voices.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The amount of discs does not raise the price. Discs are cheap, and VII cost the same as VIII, which had more discs, right? You arent paying for the amount of discs, you're paying for the content.

Not that I think they'll include the option, but I just wanted to say all that.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Disgaea had the option of using Japanese or English voices, so I hope XII follows suit.
    Of course I loved the English voice acting for Disgaea.

It is a nice option, and I do like it when games include it, but I will be satisfied if there isn't the option, unless they use the people responsible for the abominable Rurouni Kenshin dub.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    The amount of discs does not raise the price. Discs are cheap, and VII cost the same as VIII, which had more discs, right? You arent paying for the amount of discs, you're paying for the content.

Not that I think they'll include the option, but I just wanted to say all that.
    I don't know... PS1 discs are a lot different than PS2 discs. I don't know the cost of them but I'm guessing a double-disc PS2 game would be a pretty significant amount more to produce than a single disc game... I mean, that's 100% more discs... Who knows though, I sure don't.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah, I dont mind the lack-there-of, but the option always makes me very happy. If the English voices are too terrible, I just turn on subtitles (or read the text boxes, depending on the game/time) and turn down the volume.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would be nice---I'd love to see the words match up perfectly with their mouths; and I think it's a beutiful language. But they've never done it before, so why start now? It WOULD take up a whole lot more space. But I don't think that would raise the price. Almost all new games, just released are 50 bucks, no matter what they are.

If it isn't included, though, it won't make that much of a difference to me. You can't miss what you've never had.

--Box Box Box Box

Quote Originally Posted by kikimm
    It would be nice---I'd love to see the words match up perfectly with their mouths; and I think it's a beutiful language. But they've never done it before, so why start now? It WOULD take up a whole lot more space. But I don't think that would raise the price. Almost all new games, just released are 50 bucks, no matter what they are.

If it isn't included, though, it won't make that much of a difference to me. You can't miss what you've never had.

I WILL pirate this game (dl jpn release) if they don't put japanese voices in the american release. I mean, have you heard the jpn voice acting? Totally pwns anything squenix usa has ever offered us. FFX voice acting sucked, Star Ocean 3's voice acting sucked, although alot better than FFX's, and don't get started on FFX-2, which was utter disaster. The jpn players get to hear famous and talented voices... why shouldn't we hears those voices too?

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The jpn players get to hear famous and talented voices... why shouldn't we hears those voices too?
    Gaming isn't as openly popular in America as it is in Japan, and thus we aren't as likely to get good voice actors for video games. That is changing, but as it stands right now gaming companies just don't have enough clout to hire talented voice actors.

And I must also state that not all Japanese voice acting is good and all American voice acting is bad. Disgaea, for example, had excellent voice actors, and many an Anime has had simply awful voice acting. There's the good and the bad in all, its just Japan tends to get better voice acting overall due to the clout gaming companies command.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

FFX had talented voice actors but they sucked in the game. Thats just me though. Then I look at Xenosaga and I thought they had some really good voice acting in the game. Just goes to show you should get people who fit the part and not the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    all American voice acting is bad.
    Give me a second...

WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Give me a second...

WRONG

It's a preconception you get when hardly any american voice acting is good. There are exceptions (I used to deny this for years), like Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, ZOE2, and one or two I can't think of right now.

Once again, I just think Square of America is doing alot worse than it should. I haven't played a single S.E. game in english that has good voice acting with the exception of my getting used to SO3 (although I've heard the jpn release has some famous seiyuu in it). Weird huh? Square Japan does a great job. Konami America does a great job... but S.E America... no way...

EDIT: What I think is surprising is that when the Japanese releases get english voices the casts are generally better than when the American studios redub the games! (Examples: Ace Combat 5, <that weird firefighting game>, Devil May Cry)