Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSM2 rates FFXII 90%

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Default PSM2 rates FFXII 90%

I ain't posting the whole review, it's frickin massive, but, I shall post the best of what I read:

"Hearing the opening bars of that theme tune is a special moment for a Final Fantasy fan. Composer Nobuo Uematsu's tinkling melody is a timeless series tradition and whenever it plays we get all sentimental about the great geeky times we've had, playing arguably the greatest RPG franchise ever. The version that opens Final Fantasy XII, however, is unlike anything you'll have heard in previous games - it's now an overblown orchestral epic of Hollywood proportions, which reflects the game as a whole; compared to this, Final Fantasy X looks like a student film"

- Opening Paragraph.

Ok, so we miss the old-fashioned turn based stuff, but that's living in the past. This is the series' biggest leap yet and it's all the better for it.

- concerning the battle system, ending sentence on the first page.

[CAPTION IMAGE] People Person - Vaan is a much more likeable hero then Tidus from FFX.

[CAPTION IMAGE] Law and Order - The design of the judge's armour is incredibly intimidating. Would you mess with him? ( The Marquis, ruler of Bhujerba, is also in this shot)

The design is second to none and the architecture makes you feel a part of a world rich with history, as opposed to one cobbled together by a bunch of cheap suited men in a Tokyo skyscraper somewhere.

- Designs

The characters are similarly well designed, although the radical departure from previous FF games may put some hardcore pendants off.

- Characters

Again, following Final Fantasy tradition, the story is brilliantly engaging. (The rest of the detail about the storyline should be common knowledge amongst us FFXII fans.)

..there are twists, turns and backstories for all of the characters. Vaan is likeable and the situation between to the countries is very well realized. It's quite a yarn. (part of a sentence to do with the storyline)

So is it better then Final Fantasy X then? Well, yes. By quite a large margin in fact. We would go so far as to say that it's the best FF game since IX was released 6 years ago. ( Deary me, are they still secret FFVII and FFVIII fanboys there? =P )

FFXII is a gargantuan, gorgeous game with a gripping plot, likeable characters and an interesting new combat system that injects some much-needed life into the series. Wonderful.

- Ending words

PSM2 Verdict

Gameplay

+ The brave new combat system is a triumph
    - Some dungeons kind of drag on a bit

Graphics

+ We defy you to find a better looking game
    - Some bland textures here and there

Sound

+ Infectious music and classic FF sound effects
    - some of the voices are a little irritating

Lifespan

As you'd expect, it's huge. The main story alone lasts about 70 hrs, then there are the numerous sidequests..

This should score more, but we're waiting for the UK version before we go mental. Great already, but in English, this'll be the best Final Fantasy in years.

Better then: FFX

Worser then: KHII ( folks, KH2 has the same rating so far, 90% - so, avid FF fans, the English version may get a higher score)

Comments made in brackets done by me.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Looking good, but i've found top-rated games boring in the past. Like KH :(.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Rating KH2 over FFXII, what have PSM2 done with themselves....

It's really weird because, the games are both exactly the same % as well - 90%. I assure you, this is a game you will not be bored with.

~Setzer Gabianni

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.

This is good news. Maybe my PS2-library will surpass 12 titles one day...

On a more serious note, though... If I see a 'then' when it should be 'than' one more time, I'll have an aneurysm and die on the spot, just to spite the offender. So I'll just stay away from this topic until it reaches two pages.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

How come every review of every FF title says it's an injection of life the series needed. :laugh:

Anywho, I'm sure it will be groovy. Plus Fran has bunny ears, what more could anybody ask for?

I don't trust reviews completely anymore though... Being pretty gets you a lot of score-goodness. I keep reading you need to prepare yourself to die alot in these reviews, because it's insanely hard and you go hours without save points... I hope it's hard, but not Vagrant Story hard, which also received insanely good marks. But then again, I'm a wuss

It's a challenge, which is what I need after the gameplay I encountered in certain FF's

~Setzer Gabianni

Quote Renmiri on FFXII

Uematsu wasn't even involved with FFXII outside of Angela Aki's songs. Though Hitoshi Sakimoto did do an awesome job from what I've heard. The opening theme is definitely awesome, especially if you liked the prelude/prologue to FFIV.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd rather get the game and try it myself instead of listening to somebody else's opinion, so meh.

Can you at least link to the full article so people can read it? >_<

These are some import reviews of it. I'm sorry, I couldn't find the one he has listed.

Spoilers: Reading the story paragraphs of these are probably spoilers... I dunno, I just stuck to the combat and overall good or bad, so I don't know what it says about the story to be honest.

Eurogamers review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=682214

Games are fun review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=675484

Deeko review: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=674647

Gamebrink review:http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=677763

I don't need reviews to tell me this game will be the best thing I play this year. But its good to know others agree.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

If PSM2 is a magazine(I only subscribe to EGM, GamePro, and Shonen Jump), I request a scan.

Man, someone said this wasn't the best FF? =P Oh well, opinions are opinions.

I'll edit once I have a scan.

http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psm214md.jpg

Only got one now, the others im having trouble uploading.
    Last edited by Setzer Gabianni; 06-01-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII

I know FFXII is the best! I've played it and it's good! The only worst thing is I need to train a lot to beat (SPOILER)The Fire Espers: Velias

The Late Owen Macwere Production.