Thread: Video Card Help

Default Video Card Help

is there any good video card that supports pixel shading that is not too extravegently expensive? please tell me cause i need to get one thanks

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Not my exact card but it supports Pixel shading and uses a decent chipset and is under £30:

http://dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+D...ce%20FX%205200

If your in the US just goto a show and look for anything with a NVIDIA GeForce FX Chip in really with 128 megs of ram or more and it should be quite cheap and have enough power. How do I know? My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and I get a FF11 benchmark of over 5000 quite a few times

Of course it might be worth waiting a few more posts and seeing if anyone with more experiance with video cards posts as they'll probably know an even better one
    FOA

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Pretty much any of the recent GeForce FX or ATi radeon series would be fine. Specifically, I would look into getting a Geforce FX Ultra (FX Ultra cards are faster and more featured than normal FX cards.) If you want to go the ATi route, get a Radeon 9500 or better. (the Radeon Pro cards are similarly desirable over the normal Radeon cards)

As with any good computer hardware, NewEgg is your friend.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd personally go the ATI route - driver support seems more stable for ATI under Windows for all the GeForce/ATI card and driver combinations I've been through. I've had problems where newer GeForce's drivers cause some apps to crash when you try to run them, including an installation for MS Office, through older drivers didn't give me that problem.

Plus ATI have better open source drivers for linux
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farah
    I'd personally go the ATI route - driver support seems more stable for ATI under Windows for all the GeForce/ATI card and driver combinations I've been through. I've had problems where newer GeForce's drivers cause some apps to crash when you try to run them, including an installation for MS Office, through older drivers didn't give me that problem.

Plus ATI have better open source drivers for linux
    Interesting...
    I've had the opposite happen, at least with some of the slightly old ATi drivers. Never had any problems with Forceware drivers at all though. Both driver sets are much more solid and stable at this point...