Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Christmas Cards Mailing List

Default EoFF Christmas Cards Mailing List

Super NOTE: Please check this first entry for updates.

SUPER NOTE 2: Since I'll be busy with some pre-Final exams this week, I'll have to wait until possibly late Wednesday night or Thursday afternoon (EST, or GMT -5) to send the addresses out. Sorry for the delay, my grades are more important than your cards! Also, I've decided not to be so stringent on people sending out cards to everyone(read post #40). If you want to send to a few people, let me know. As long as you are willing to send to me , and a few others. Your address will be given out at random to people and only to those random people I select through a magical and calculating process.

CUTOFF DATE: The date has been changed to December 7th from December 10th. This is to accomodate anyone who feels their cards might arrive too late. Remember this date as if it was your last day on Earth. I can't accept or give out mailing lists to people after this date...but I'll be happy to send you a card if you like.

I also want to make note that when you are given the addresses, only use them for sending out cards ONLY. I know you EoFFers(that sounds weird in a way) have enough common sense to not blatantly use addresses for commercial or homicidal gain. But for those who might forget or be tempted, this is just a friendly reminder. Christmas is about loving each other, and you don't love each other by stalking someone or giving their addresses to credit card companies! Remember, we're a family here...we trust one another.

Okay, an LJ friend gave me this idea(Peter_L190), I'm not sure if it's allowed or not...but I was wondering if people wanted to send each other Christmas cards.

What I would do is have people PM me their address and I would store them somewhere. Because of the time it takes to ship internationally, I would stop taking PMs a little over 2 weeks before Christmas.

Then I would send out a list of everyone's addresses to those who sent me a PM as to who would want to send out a card. Obviously I don't want anyone left out, so if you participate...PLEASE be aware that Christmas cards and postage can add up, so if you think there might be a ton of people, reconsider before joining on a mailing list. I'm sure there's dollar stores that sells Christmas cards at 20 cards each for $1. It's not the amount, it's the thought that matters. Postage within the US is 37 cents, so I don't think anyone will spend more than $10 on domestic postage. It's usually about 80 cents US to ship internationally, which isn't too bad I guess.

Not sure if this has been done before here, and if a thread exists...please close this thread...if not, please sticky it!...assuming it's worthy of a sticky.

Current members:

US
    Kirobaito
    RSL
    Dingo Jellybean
    Joel
    ShlupQuack
    Fuzakeru
    Bert
    Winged Sorceress
    Giggles
    Deblayde (Alaska)
    SocietyzAntidote

International
    Leeza (Canada)
    Xander (England)
    Jack (England)
    ShlupMoo (Canada)
    White Raven (Canada)
    Baloki (UK)
    Chiara 73 (Italy)*

*NOTE: Please read my last post at the bottom(post #40). Chiara is only able to send out 5 or 6 cards since it's expensive from Italy. Anyone else who wishes to participant but only able to send out a few cards is fine by me. Some of you will not receive Chiara's addresses, some of you will. This is so that you guys don't send out a card and not get one from that person in return...since we all know how much that hurts.

Total postage(US): .37x10(minus self) +(.80x6)= $7.50(or $8.30 for some of you)...if you can't afford that, you have no soul.

US participants: 11
    Internationals: 7

I hope that's enough information.

NOTE: I also want to note that like Shlup said, please make them early. Don't wait until the cutoff date to make them! You'll leave a lot of your international friends out in the dark if you delay. For those sending domestically, you can afford to wait maybe a week before sending your cards out. For those internationally, please send it at least 2 weeks early. By international, I mean any country you are sending to that's separated by one of the four major oceans. Obviously US residents can hold out just a bit longer to send to Canada or Mexico, but not to Australia or South Africa. Same thing for Brittons, you can wait just a bit longer to send to someone in Spain, but not to someone living in Japan.
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 12-06-2004 at 03:58 AM.

I'll think about doing this. *PMs Dingo*

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I'll think about doing this. *PMs Dingo*
    Sweet, I'll probably update this topic with the number of people involved and the estimated postage that is due domestically in the US.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds like fun.

Blog Entries

I'll do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

We do this, on a small scale, every year, acctually. I've never participated except that I got a card from Proto last year. It was nice.

I'll participate this year. *PMs her address*

Quote Originally Posted by Shlupquack
    We do this, on a small scale, every year, acctually. I've never participated except that I got a card from Proto last year. It was nice.

I'll participate this year. *PMs her address*
    Yeah...I haven't done something like this since 4 years ago when I was in high school. I'm hoping the support for this will be good. It's not the cost that matters(it wouldn't cost much anyways), it's the spirit. So a large scale effort would be nice...besides, it's people's job to make me broke.

Now that a mod and an admin has posted...is it right to assume that I think this thread deserves a sticky?

Anyways, addresses will not be given to the participants until say, December 7th. But I will stop accepting PMs of addresses on the 7th of December.

Also, people may withdraw at any time for whatever reason, just give me a PM.
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 11-19-2004 at 01:46 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aww, Dingo wants a sticky? Okay, Dingo can have a sticky. *pats* xD

Do us a favor though, when you have the time...? Make a list of the people participating in the first post, just their names, so we can start writing cards before hand? That would be cool of you.

Blog Entries

So judt PM dingo my address?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No. You're not allowed to participate.

Blog Entries

I <3 you too.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now I gotta go to the dollar store and get a couple packs of Mexican Feliz Navidad cards this weekend.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hi Dingo. I'll participate, but could you please just add the names to your first post so that we don't have to keep looking through the whole thread to see any updates?

Any Canadians should keep in mind that it costs 80 cents to mail a card to the states and around a $1.49 to mail internationally, so it could add up if the list gets long.

Dingo, I know that our postal service has early December as a deadline for international Christmas mail so maybe you could set the cut-off date a bit earlier than the 10th of December if possible.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mememe. Am I the first international one =D? I asked for addresses in my LJ, like Peter but got like 2 emails. xD So I need moooore people to send cards too =D *pms*
    rawr

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

UK is about 26-29 pence locally (depending on 1st or 2nd class) and international you require 2 first class stamps so thats about 60 pence

So in short reference:

Approx. cost of sending cards via the royal mail:
    Within the UK: 29 pence
    International: 60 pence
    FOA