Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS!

Default Nintendo DS!

Hey all. I just got my DS yesterday and it's pretty cool. The launch titles aren't exactly super awesome, but there's a lot of potential for this lil' system. It's really well built and pretty comfortable. The thumbstrap makes games like Metroid Prime: First Hunt a lot easier to play than with the stylus.

I got Feel the Magic as well. It's kinda like Wario Ware, but the minigames are a bit longer. The game is pretty damn fun and addicting, but coulda been longer... more minigames and modes would have been great. The Story mode was a lot of fun, though. I really like how they also put minigames that had you breathing and yelling into the mic as well as the stylus ones. Of course, you have to be careful where you play this game since people might think you're crazy for yelling at your console!

So, who else got a DS and what game(s) did you get?
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

i was thinking of geting one before KH:COM comes out, but i put it off 'til christmas, anyways i have a question, is it true that you can play over networks with anyone in US? If so, how does it work?

I think it's possible for the DS to be able to play against anyone in the US, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. The DS has WiFi capabilties, which lets it network with other DS units in a certain range (I don't know what that range is). Theoretically, you could bounce a signal across multiple DS units and relay that signal to a certain destination. Of course, that would depend on how many DSs are around to act as a hub... and then it gets all complicated and stuff. So as of now, you'll have to make do with wireless networking capabilities with other people who are near you.

Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'd really like to get one, but none of the launch titles were enough to persuade me to pick one up yet. I'm going to wait until Nintendo releases Animal Crossing DS before buying one....unless Advance Wars comes out earlier.

Is it backwards compatible? If it's not then I'll wait until a good game for it comes out.

I got one, and I got Mario 64 DS as well. It's a great game, but I have to ask "what were they thinking?". The controls are miserable. They're horrible. This is using the thumbstrap and touch pad. I can hardly walk an inch without veering wildly off course (always to my detriment). Still, I imagine, if the touchpad ever becomes natural, the DS will be an amazing system. Metroid controlled much better with the touchpad, after all. I just don't think mario 64 is conducive to the DS control scheme.
    Knock yourselves down.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    Is it backwards compatible? If it's not then I'll wait until a good game for it comes out.
    Yes, it is backwards compatable. It has an extra slot that's for the GBA and GB games.

I would love to get one, but they're a bit pricey. Metroid Hunters looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Yes, it is backwards compatable. It has an extra slot that's for the GBA and GB games.
    I don't think the DS can play GB or GBC games... only GBA. It also can't connect to the GCN or play multiplayer GBA games. It can only play GBA games by itself.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really? Huh. I assumed that since it had a GBA slot, and the GBA could play old games, it would be completely backwards compatable. Ah well, it's old technology. People can just get ROMs.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920758.asp

That's what people are thinking about Mario 64 DS so far, it's basically the hot launch title.

Oh, and online and other such mutliplayer tests with the DS have been in the works for a while... experimenting hooking up 32 units, maximizing the range (200 feet with a good line of sight), and also connecting it to WiFi hotspots to go over the internet. No games implement the hotspot technology yet but I'm sure once it's available, the games will use it just like their close-range technology.

Oh, and SquareEnix wants to make a game using their PlayOnline (the FF11 program)... think something MMO on the DS...

If I get one of these things, I'm getting Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing DS for sure. Though it'll be a while before I either get one or split it with my brother.

I've got one on order from lik-sang.com. It's costing me £130.00 in total. That includes shipping and Mario64 DS. It's cheaper for me to get one imported that wait for the Euro launch which is sometime in March I think.

Nintendo UK have priced the unit at £129.99. Converting the US price of $149.99 to GBP the cost is only £80 so i'm saving quite abit of money. Plus the system is region free, so when it finally comes out in the UK I can buy games here and they'll work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NM
    I've got one on order from lik-sang.com. It's costing me £130.00 in total. That includes shipping and Mario64 DS. It's cheaper for me to get one imported that wait for the Euro launch which is sometime in March I think.

Nintendo UK have priced the unit at £129.99. Converting the US price of $149.99 to GBP the cost is only £80 so i'm saving quite abit of money. Plus the system is region free, so when it finally comes out in the UK I can buy games here and they'll work fine.
    What about the charge adapater? I guess you would just use a European GBA one =/

Does it come with Pitochat like I heard?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it's built in or something.

Yup, Picto Chat built in and a free demo of Metroid Prime Hunters (a solo mission and a few levels for multiplayer available).