Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

PS3

o__0 I can't be the first one to post this topic... but I haven't found it elsewhere, so there ya go.

I just heard about it.

What....? o_0

Discuss.

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Did Sony anounce it yet? If so where's a link?

A long time ago I read an article about the disc format it's going to use, back then they were called "Blue Discs", they look like encased CDs, big mini discs and are, hence the name, blue. Supposedly they have very small loading time and large, large storage capacity, more than that of a DVD I think.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

Sony hasn't officially announced it yet, besides they are probably tied down working on the PSP right now

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard about it, but nothing that's probably too reliable at the moment. We all know it's coming, and that's about it. Personally, I think they should wait a bit longer before releasing new systems. It sort of bothers me that I'll go and spend 200, 150 bucks on this, and then in the next few years, I'm going to end up doing that again. But that might just be me.

--Box Box Box Box

All this info we've known for a while now:

-It's coming in fall of 2006
    -It uses new processor and disc technology that Sony themselves spent the money and time to develop

And that's uhhh... about it.

Oh, and why would Sony be "tied down with the PSP" right now? It's basically out in Japan, and not much will have to change for the US launch... the PSP is a very small project compared to the PS3 which they've been working on for years now, and early development of games (for all next gen systems) started in many places such as EA, earlier this year. Most developers however will jump on projects for the "new" systems (remember, Nintendo's and Sony's are still almost 2 years away) when their initial information is unveiled at E3 in 5 months.

Sony should theoretically unveil the console at E3 2005, which would put the PS3 down for a late 2006 release. As those above have said, Sony is backing the Blu-Ray format, which it believes will be the major storage format of the future. It's fairly likely that the PS3 will use this type of disc, therefore.

But nothings actually been confirmed yet, so I suppose we'll just have to wait for some hard facts to crop up before discussing Sony's future.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    Sounds nice ^_^

Sounds expensive. *twitch* T_T

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    A long time ago I read an article about the disc format it's going to use, back then they were called "Blue Discs", they look like encased CDs, big mini discs and are, hence the name, blue. Supposedly they have very small loading time and large, large storage capacity, more than that of a DVD I think.
    The technology is called Blu-Ray, actually. It's been in development for years, but I think they're just releasing it publicly soon. Like 25gb of storage compared to the 4.7 of today's DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by kikimm
    I've heard about it, but nothing that's probably too reliable at the moment. We all know it's coming, and that's about it. Personally, I think they should wait a bit longer before releasing new systems. It sort of bothers me that I'll go and spend 200, 150 bucks on this, and then in the next few years, I'm going to end up doing that again. But that might just be me.

Systems have generally come out in five-year intervals, I believe. So 2006 isn't very soon at all.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    The technology is called Blu-Ray, actually. It's been in development for years, but I think they're just releasing it publicly soon. Like 25gb of storage compared to the 4.7 of today's DVDs.
    In fact, a single Blu-Ray disc is capable of storing 54 Gigabytes of data. That's an absolutely enormous amount of data, and a very impressive statistic to work with.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

I seriously was wondering why this thread was titled "Problem Set 3". Took me a while to figure out what it was.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Silly Neel xD

And wow, 54 gb (that's more than my computer stores >_>). Imagine the games to come out of that, then.... *_*

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Fall 2006? I thought it would be released in Fall 2005. Oh well, not like I'll get it. I'm at the point in my life where games just aren't fun enough anymore. I even let my brother take the PS2 with him since it just collects dust in the house.

The PS3 might do for the Blu-Ray Disc what the PS2 did for the DVD, and that is standardize it. Imagine an entire season of Smallville on one disc. Not bad. I mainly used the PS2 as a DVD player.

I'll probably wait until the PS3 drops really low and stuff and then get it as a cheap BRD player.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

PS2 didn't really standardize the DVD, the DVD standardized itself.