Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

I can't argue the facts I can't back up... so just drop it...

so lets see... what dont you believe? xD besides a few of my out dated things... =P all the features I brought up about the DS are definantly true! I have much better info on Nintendo, cause thats what I enjoy following.
    If anyone can provide better info, please, I want to read it as much as everyone else. xD
    Last edited by Tidus Andronicus; 12-06-2004 at 10:18 PM.
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Take that down. I was thinking their new page where they have all of the press releases and not the actual press area >_< Don't want you to get in any trouble.

Well I didn't really argue the DS too much as all of that is up to date but I was mainly going for the PSP stuff.

Edit: Continuing(just wanted to get that up so you take down the username/password).

Discs have advantages as do carts. Carts have instant save on them where as a disc does not. Although the carts have a max of 64 KB save space(at least what I read recently. That was at the time so the size may have increased). It is more than enough for most things but it doesn't cut if for the indepth sports games that are likely to come.

Its the whole disc cart thing that is the source of our bickering. Both are good and bad. I like the disc because it holds more info and you can get bigger games on it. Also with the higher density to save becaues it is being saved separatly. Because it is being saved on something else we might see features to download content or use our own music in games like the XBox does. The disc by itself is limited but the cart always seems to be self contained...well doesn't have to be but thats the way it has usually always been.
    Last edited by edczxcvbnm; 12-06-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks, but I wont get in any trouble... thats the one we've kind of leaked onto the net anyway... I wouldn't have shown you it otherwise.
    but either way... its best I probably didn't leave that. XD

Well, the PSP isn't comming to America until March 05... they will miss this xmas rush this year... and people will be able to get many of the games on the PSP already on the DS soon. From what I see on IGN there are many releases that will be on both systems... but it looks like the DS will get a lot first. And wont help PSP much.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Usually the first year of a system sucks for games. Look at the PS2. 25 games launched but only like 1 or 2 were acutally good. SSX and some other one.

DS I think has better titles also and I do think it is the better system. I really just don't care that much as I don't play games on the road. I am either driving or some place where I can't play them...like work or school or family :P I might get one of them if I get a job downtown and I have to take the train everyday.

I think the PSP will be plauged just like the PS2 and PS1 and will have break down issues among other things and people will drop it fast with a strong more reliable competition out there.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

meh, you could argue the point all day. the question isn't which is better, it's which will survive. I bring up Game Gear. Game gear walked all over the pathetic crapwagon that was GameBoy. but, no one bought it. it was sad. made me terribly sad. it wasn't until a few years ago with the advance that Nintendo annied up to Game Gear level of quality. but who won? nintendo. Handheld is Nintendo's territory.

But, you have two main things to keep in your head. Nintendo has now diversified. They are trying to market TWO distinct handhelds. is there enough room for them both? one could argue that as well, but handheld has always been a singularly dominated market. Then you've got the load of ROXOR that is the PSP (i'm a bit biased, Nintendo has crapped on me for years now, and i've been solid sony since the Square switch and the advent of pokemon. Sony has yet to do me wrong.) so, we'll see if equal hardware will win over fanboy N. bias. Tis yet to be seen. I just hope SOMEONE has the chance to give them a run for their money, b/c without competition, Nintendo can just release the same crap year after year without any worry off lost profits. that my friends, is bad times. LOng live PSP!

No one truely knows how cool the DS is, until they've had one themselves, and played games on it. XD
    Even I wan't too thrilled... until I was handed one to review. Now it has become my favorite thing. xD

Im pretty sure I can see a difference in quality with the graphics.

DS

PSP
    Word/s.

Well, the PSP does have slightly better graphics... but not much... (which we were aware of, but I dont trust screens until I see the real thing) Its hard to compare the 2 based on those screens... The DS will have a more GC style to its 3D, and the PSP will have a very PS feel to it. The GC has just as nice graphics as the PS2, its just they have a different feel to them. I've always felt that the PS2's graphics have always had a very ridged and pointy feel, while the GC has always been real smooth.
    basically, that pic of snake looks so nice, cause they did a good job on the textures... when used corretly, textures can make something look more 3D and detailed than it really is. Something in my mind makes me doubt that pic... and its also bigger than the DS screenshot, to make it look better... but the screens are in reality, about the same size... the PSP is not as tall of a screen as the DS, but its wider...
    The only think I can say, is that the PSP will probably have slightly better screen resolution... (more dots per inch)

With Nintendo's experiance in hand helds, the obvious extra/better features of the DS, and the abillity to play games from the GBA on the DS... The DS will be the leader in portable gamming.
    The PSP seems to only have graphics (if that) in its favor, and is missing a lot of valuable things (like battery life), that will push gamers tword the DS.

And for those of us that already own a GBSP that means we can still play those old GB-GBC games. ^_^ so its still a nice system to have, plus its gone down in price so much. XD
    Last edited by Tidus Andronicus; 12-07-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Default G4 Tech TV says it accuratly!

I just saw a neat special about Nintendo's Gameboy on G4, and it stated very well why Nintendo will still win this next handheld battle.

Every company that tryed, failed so far... Even in site of better graphics! And you know why? Because in the handheld market, battery life and price are the major winning factors.

History has shown that most of Nintendo's competators had more superior products... but because Nintendo always had better battery life and was cheaper, they always won.

"9 companies have tryed to compete with Nintendo's handhelds, And 9 have failed. Nintendo doesn't just rule the handheld market, they own it!"

And whose to say Sony won't get it right this time? They could put up quite a fight for the Nintendo DS and could possibly win due to the popularity of the Playstation and Playstation 2, better graphics and fixing the errors that the other competitors had.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Atari was popular, and Sega was very popular, they both tryed to outdue Nintendo's handheld, and failed miserably.
    I think sony will put up a fight, but they wont win. They seem to be making the same mistakes other companies made... (one being, trying to compete with Nintendo lol)
    And even if Microsoft tryed to put out a handheld, I don't think they'd win either.

Also keep in mind that DS isn't truely a GameBoy... its kindof like a sidekick that is better than the superhero. XD
    Nintendo stated that the SP and DS are 2 different systems and that SP is not obsolete yet. GameBoy should still have more advanced models in the future, and if DS does well, it may have some too. ^_~

On another note... there was an old system called the "Nintendo Game and Watch", long time ago, that had 2 screens. While it wasn't a system that you could play more than one game on... it looks EXTREAMLY familiar. LOL

Also, Nintendo just put out this artical on its press site!
    Thanks the gods there will soon be 40% more DS in stores!
    Check it out ^_^ I've attached it for you all. lol (its from dec 9th, so its new)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ah, the old Game & Watch. I still have the Legend of Zelda and Donky Kong Jr unit's.

On the PSP, DS front. I don't think you can say which will be the most succesful when nither system is out worldwide yet. Nintendo may be the master's of the handheld market but then they dominated the console market back in the 90's until Sony came along with the Playstation so I don't think you can rule anything out. My DS arrived yesterday but that dosn't mean I won't get a PSP as well.

I've still got a game and watch...

But anyway. Nitendo has always dominated the handheld market but then again they dominated the console market untill sony.

I think that they are targeting very different markets. While DS is marketing at the game boy owners, the psp seems to be appealing to the older mobile/cell phone owner. And who knows they may be different enough to both exist in the handheld market.
    Word/s.

hmmm, that is true lol.... But any gaming company that tries to target older audiance, is just gonna end up selling to kids and teenagers... Most adults does play enough games to want to buy a console. Younger people, age 26 and down seen to be the game croude these days... cause they were born in the perfect years to have games as a kid... I couldn't get my parents to play modern games if my life depended on it. XD

Also, was I the only one that heard them when Nintendo tryed to say that the DS will be more aimed at teenagers? well, what group of people are gonna own the most DS? Of course it will be the children 7-13ish... Of course plenty of 14 and up will have it too... but most of those kids out there are getting the DS as a present for xmas. Of course thats why most of my friends can't get a DS in the first place... (picture the last DS on a shelf at a BestBuy. Now picture your self racing a soccer mom to it. XD)

on another note, Nintendo has Already sold over 1,000,000 DS units in America and Japan.
    Last edited by Tidus Andronicus; 12-09-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Whoo Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, & Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry..heh naaah i like Nintendo & Sony!!!
    So no arguements there!

But i actually must say one thing that i am 100% with nintendo all the way.

Gamecube rules, gaystation 2 is poo.