Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platform games

Default Platform games

I miss platform games. I love games like Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, Dynamite Headdy and Ristar ... but nobody seems to be making any 2D platform games these days. It makes me sad. I know technology has to advance, and people really like 3D platform games, but I think more 2D platformers should be released.

What do you think? :/

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I think platformers suck for the most part. There are just as many good 2D as there are 3D.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with doing a 2d scrolling game in 3d. Look at Duke Nukem Manhattan Project...k, not the best example. But the likes of Metroid are still very much alive and kicking, although they're mainly to be found on handhelds. Heck to me a platform game is only enhanced when it's brought into the 3d realm. It certainly allows for more complex environments, nifty action and general "check out all the jumpiness ma!" that makes platforming great.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I also like the 2D ones. Check out GBA, they still make some, like Castlevania, one of the best 2D game series ever.

I'm not thrilled with the evolution to 3D. Sure, Mario and Jak have some fun times, but I miss the big 2D Mario World type games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Viewtiful Joe's not much of a platformer, but it is a side-scroller, and an extremely fun one, at that. Check that out for the GC.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

With current techonoloy they could probably make an enormously-overgigantic-huge 2d Sonic game that would take three lifetimes to beat. Except they'd put save points everywhere and put different difficulty levels in. Might not sell well, but I'd buy it. Now the new Nintendo thingy is coming out I'll probably pick up a cheap GBA eventually just for all the 2d games.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife
    With current techonoloy they could probably make an enormously-overgigantic-huge 2d Sonic game that would take three lifetimes to beat. Except they'd put save points everywhere and put different difficulty levels in. Might not sell well, but I'd buy it. Now the new Nintendo thingy is coming out I'll probably pick up a cheap GBA eventually just for all the 2d games.
    You want to design 3 liftimes worth of levels?
    Word/s.

Good point, they could have trouble finding a good balance between reasonable game length and people's expectations of how long a next-gen game should be to the point where they can't decided and it's the whole "which sweater should I wear for my date?" thing all over again. Very interesting point you made there.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by RSDel
    I also like the 2D ones. Check out GBA, they still make some, like Castlevania, one of the best 2D game series ever.

I'm not thrilled with the evolution to 3D. Sure, Mario and Jak have some fun times, but I miss the big 2D Mario World type games.
    I'll check out the Castlevania ones - thanks! I forgot about some good recent platform games like Pandemonium 1 & 2 on the PSOne (which were okay) and the Klonoa games for the Playstation 2.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I consider 2D platformers and 3D platformers to be entirely different animals. Platforming is one of a select number of genres where gameplay actually changes in transition from 2D to 3D, so it's as if they are two different genres altogether. It's harder to compare them when you think of them this way, but it is easier to contrast. It is also easier for me to say that I prefer 2D platformers to 3D ones, because it is just the same as saying I prefer RPGs to fighting games.

I'd about say the genre is dead too, which is a shame. Now that we're getting portables with 3D capabilites, the final front of the 2D game is close to its demise. Cherish these final days of the 2D platformers. By the next portable system we may see an almost complete disappearance of the 2D game.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am missing them! I love those games especially the Sonic ones, although I sucked at most. =D I'm not too bothered about more being released though..most stores still sell retro games for stuff like the SNES and Megadrive, etc. And you can buy the consoles still too. So if 2d platforming is your thing, it's easy enough to buy a lot of the old games still. That's what I did, when I wanted to play more old games I just built up my Megadrive collection. n__n
    rawr

Castlevania is not a platformer. Just because you can jump doesn't make it a platformer. Mario is a platformer and so is sonic. Those are all about timed jumps where as in castlevania it isn't. There are a few instances of it but for the most part it is and action/adventure game.

There really are not that many actual platform games out there. Mario is still true to its roots others have not really followed.

2D<>Platformer.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Does that mean Ice Climber also isn't a platformer? I think that's the first and last time I'm ever going to use that word. It's ugly.

I just miss 2D games in general.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The old Castlelvania games have more to do with timed jumps than any Mario or Sonic game. Platformers are fun, but repetitive. How many times can you revolutionize that genre anyway? I welcome the 3D world with open arms.

But in Castlevania there isn't that grave of a penalty for missing a jump. Pit of spikes? I got life. Mario at least made you pay more than half the time for a ed up jump. Sonic...well near the end it was one huge pay back.

You don't even need to jump that often in castlevania. I would say besides the clock tower there are very few jumps. Just a bunch of stairs to climb up. I don't really remember too much else. The newer ones are anything but a platformer.