Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zelda:Wind Waker

Default Zelda:Wind Waker

Ok i know that this came out ages ago...but what are your opinions on it??

Errr, I really didn't like it as much as the others. It was slightly overbearing and the sailing was annoying IMO.
    But it's a Zelda game right, so it is better than your average rubbish. But nah, Ocarina Of Time was class, and Wind Waker paled in it's shadow.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I wasn't too blown away by it. In fact, I got halfway through and couldn't be bothered to finish it. The cell-shaded graphics were very cute, but I prefer the more realistic Zelda approach. True, graphics aren't everything, and it's the gameplay that makes a game good, but Wind Waker didn't amaze me in that department either. The controls seemed quite fiddly, the dialogue was fairly rubbish, the endless sailing sections bored me to death and the dungeons were far too easy.

Sorry to bash "WW" to death, but I'm really not a fan.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

If you can overlook the cel-shading graphics, which I didn't really mind at all but some people do, it was a really good Zelda game in my opinion. The fighting in this game is kind of cool, Link has quite a few combos which just look neat. And a nice little feature is that there's music that chimes in when you are performing a combo. I especially like the musical feature when fighting Phantom Ganon. There's also a new move called a Parry Attack, which is just fun. This game however has the exact same problem with camera angles during fighting that Kingdom Hearts had, and it can be quite annoying.

The interactiveness of this story is something I also liked, and something that a lot of GameCube games have accomplished, particularly the Metroid Prime games. You don't just go into a dungeon and conveniently when you need a new item there is a treasure chest with the item in it, it's actually part of the story that you get many of your items (examples: you are given your initial sword by a martial arts master, there's a character that gives you the grappling hook because she's going back down the mountain and no longer needs it, you steal the Bombs from someone when you aquire them). Some of the items in this game a very easy to use, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good because if it weren't this easy it would be extemely difficult, but bad because the cases where it would be extremely difficult are few and far between and it makes every other case a bit dull. And the rest of the items are pretty straight-forward. They attempted to keep the very convenient C-button item system that they had in Ocarina of Time. It worked in Ocarina of Time because there were basically three main items that you used mostly and the rest were rarely used. But in Wind Waker, you use all of your items a lot, and the C-button item system gets rather annoying with the more items your accumulate. The annoyance reaches its peak in the Wind Temple, when you have every item, but it's not that bad because toward the end you accumulate a lot of items very quickly, so you will really only notice this annoyance after you attain the Master Sword.

The sailing is just annoying, and there's really no way around that, even with a song you get that makes sailing a bit faster. The only thing that makes it interesting is when there are enemies to fight/dodge and rupee catching, but those don't happen very often. But what you can do is just put the controller down while you are sailing and do something else, keeping an eye on the screen. It better than just looking at the screen. And, it's scary how accurately they handle the screen when it's wavy, one (i.e. me) might get seasick watching the screen (luckily they have a manual camera angle system). There are also quite a few little side-quests to do. Killing large octopi, taking pictures for people, watering some trees. The most notable and by far the largest and most challenging is the Nintendo Gallery, which I liked a lot. It spanned the entire game and was just fun. There's also something you can do if you have a GameBoy.

I thought the story to this game was the best one they've done. The stories in past Zelda games have been good: nice stories, good scenarios, decent endings, interesting plot twists. But in the Zelda games where there has been a plot twist, I have always seen it coming in at least some form. In Ocarina of Time, I knew that I hadn't gotten enough items when I pulled the Master Sword and that I had gotten there far too easily, I knew something was up. I figured something bad was going to happen when he pulled the Master Sword, and something did. There have been others, equally as obvious. But in Wind Waker, I did not see the plot twist AT ALL. There was just nothing hinting at it, and this made the story very interesting for me. This game was rather easy though in terms of story movement and battle. There is a character in this game that basically tells you just about everything you need to do. There are a few things you have to figure out on your own, but not very many. The battles in this game are really not that difficult, save for the very end. I thought that with the difficulty of most of the bosses in Majora's Mask that they would bring a little of that into Wind Waker, but alas. Honestly, fighting four Darknuts is more difficult than any of the bosses in this game. However, the difficultly that all the bosses in this game lack is made up for in spades when you fight Ganondorf, which has to be the hardest Ganondorf fight in any Zelda game, and definately the hardest fight in Wind Waker.

I rather enjoyed this game, it's very interactive and very fun, just not very hard. I would suggest playing it. Not to mention that you can play the game a second time after you beat it and a few things little are different, and you can finally play a Link wearing something other than that green outfit he always wears.
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 12-11-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved it. I got into it way more than Ocarina of Time. The only thing that keeps me from replaying it all the way through is the part with the triforce shards, which takes entirely too long if you don't get the biggest wallet beforehand.

Seems I'm the only person that thought the sailing was awesome. The only part I didn't like about it were the enemies that kept popping up.

And the controls are tight. Right after beating it last time I borrowed my friends OoT disc from him, and the controls in it felt kind of sloppy.
    Sig under construction.

well, even the makers said the cell shading was a mistake... some intresting parts.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Super Christ
    Seems I'm the only person that thought the sailing was awesome. The only part I didn't like about it were the enemies that kept popping up.
    Well, I suppose the sailing wasn't too bad. I only hated it because of the strange cyclone creature. I'd be merrily sailing along to the next dungeon, when - oh, I've been sucked up into a giant cyclone, and now I'm back to the very bottom-right square on the map, with fifteen minutes of sailing inbetween me and my destination.

I suppose it served me right for not paying attention. :/
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

I hated sailing... Stupid sharks and cyclones... Grrrrr.....

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."

I was hoping they'd make the new one cell shaded, just to spite everyone.

It still looks awesome, but...

No spite.
    Sig under construction.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was boring. I played the demo at E3 and vowed not to play the full version.

It was too easy, the plot was lacking compared to ocarina and the graphics kind of annoyed me. All in all, it wasn't too bad, but ocarina was a way better game (a very good game). (but all of the new Zelda games are too easy, they should make them as hard as Zelda 1 & 2 )
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuggly Blight
    well, even the makers said the cell shading was a mistake... some intresting parts.

i call shenanagins. Prove it.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The sailing was annoying, but that warp song made things easier to deal with. I liked the art style because it went with the attitude of the very well told story. Fighting in this Zelda is the best out of any other ones though. Ocrina's fighting system was good, but that Link felt to stiff compared to Wind Waker Link. Overall: Great game with tiny flaws here and there.

The sailing, as said, wasn't very fun and bored me easily. The dungeons were classic Zelda fare, as were most of the enemies. I didn't mind the graphics or dialouge, and the music was great, as usual. The action, when it happened, was tight and felt perfect.

8/10.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.