Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited arrows or unlimited arrows?

Default Limited arrows or unlimited arrows?

I like the idea of limited arrows because it is more realistic. It also makes the game a bit more challenging, as you must raise gil for your arrow stock.

Limited arrows in Final Fantasy IV was insanely annoying, it wouldn't have been so bad if the arrows auto-equipped a new stack after running out.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Probably unlimited arrows. Limited arrows vastly discourages me to use bows. You'll run out of arrows so quickly, and it costs a lot to restock them all the times.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

What Seph said. I find myself attacking less with people who use bows just 'cause running out of arrows is such a pain.

Yeah, I never use limited arrows.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We deserve better than this limited arrow garbage, you and I...

We're good people!
    We do what we can.

I'm telling you. We deserve better.

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unlimited, cos' I'm lazy

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

I say unlimited, except maybe for the ultimate bows (that need a special arrow sold only in a few places). Late in the game, you've probably got more Gil than you know what to do with anyway.
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

Unlimited arrows, ofcourse. What various people already said. If you run out of arrows, it's going to be a problem. Maybe it's then a better idea, just to sell kind of arrows, but that they can used unlimited. What I mean by that is that people not only can buy a stronger bow, but also arrows with a certain powers, which ofcourse then can be equiped. That way you don't got a problem, that you think that a Fire-Bow is stronger but then go into a Fire-cave with the Firebow. No, you will have a bow with no extra elemental or status effects but you can choose your own arrows. For the Firecave you then can use Ice-arrows.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

Unlimted although I agree that limited arrows would make it more realistic but it would just be waaaaay too annoying. So no limited arrows suck.

limited arrows < unlimited arrows

Unlimited. In a game with monsters and magic, there realy is no need to be more realistic.

You have limited arrows for the same reason you have limited magic, as a balance so that you have to save powerful attacks and not use them 100% of the time. In FF4, the arrows that you use in the beginning are can be bought at stores for cheap, so you can use them all you want. Late in the game, you save the really good arrows just for tough floating monsters because they do a lot of damage.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I've always liked the concept of equipping the bow on one hand and the arrows on the other hand. It doesn't really matter to me if the arrows are actually limited or not, though.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

A better idea would be to attach a string to an arrow and just retrieve it everytime.

It'd make for some interesting gameplay, having your archer using a turn, or having to dash up close to the enemy for a short while, being more susceptible to attacks.

Unlimited, definitely. possibly earning upgrades, instead of finding them. 'you have shot this arrow 100 times!, the foil wrapper wears off and you find it's made out of silver!'

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

That's an interesting concept, but it'd be even more annoying than limited arrows if every other turn was spent retrieving the darn thing. Maybe take an idea from Final Fantasy Tactics and charge the attack to make it more powerful. (If you just shoot the arrow, no string. If you Charge the arrow, more powerful and then you retrieve it.)

Here's another idea building on yours. If the character's in the back row, the arrow is gone, no questions asked, and the attack cannot be countered. However, if the archer is in the front row, he can try to retrieve the arrow automatically (sort of like Steal, success % based on Dexterity/Speed), but risks a counterattack from the monster.

I think that would keep it fairly realistic without the nuisance arrows present in FF4. I'm playing through that game right now and I always buy arrows only to have them sit unused in my inventory (unless I get a new party member but have run out of melee weapons or something).
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)