Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Black Belts

Default A question about Black Belts

How hard is it to beat FF1 with four BBs? 'Cause I just did, even tough FFclassic says it's the worst party ever.
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Blog Entries

It isn't hard. It's very easy, in fact. It just isn't fun.

I guess you're right, even tough the sight of four martial arts-experts going through monsters like a knife in hot butter (mostly) was sorta cool.
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Brian REALLY doesn't like BBs for two reasons:

1. They have no magic
    2. They have to go without Prorings/Ribbons

Seeing as how Brian, he love the magic, and won't play a game without using a Proring, then his rating of -43/10 is somewhat understandable. Me I don't mind BBs at all, I just honestly prefer Fighters because they get the job done as quickly and can take a hell of a lot more punishment. The whole lack of magic thing doesn't paticularly bother me, as I'm somewhat "anti-magic" in RPGs, prefering to use brute force if possible.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's harder in the beginning and gets easier as the game goes along.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say that.

Black Belts have crap for armor. They die ALL the time. It was a lot harder when monsters could do heavy damage in the late game then when they just slapped you around in the beginning.

Wizards were hard. But, like FF Classic says, be prepared to be lugging a few dead bodies around throughout the whole game. I prepared, and I carried them around. The BBs usually have high enough damage to get through a labrynth even if 1 or 2 are all that's left.

4 Black Belts isnt hard at all. Yes it is boring but so are all the other 4 character parties. I mean what is the difference between playing 4 BB and 4 Fi? Nothing really. On both parties you basically do one thing, hold the A button.

I dont see why everyone cries that the BB die so much. I have done a 4 BB party and only had like 3 or 4 deaths and they were by INSTANT kills. Hell with my current party, Fi/Fi/BB/BM, my BM has died 3 times so far and they were NOT by instant kill attacks.

Anyways my points

4 BB = easy but boring
    any 4 same person party = easy but boring
    BB rock
    Bm suck.

Oh yeah and RM rock too.
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 12-14-2004 at 10:05 PM.

It depends on how much time you spend leveling. Me, I spend countless hours leveling at the end of the game, so I am usually at level 30-something by the end. At that point, your Black Belt has gone from "weak pummeler" to "Ryoga and Ranma would be jealous" in respect to offensive power. Their defense is still rather weak, but with their decent speed and amazing attack potential, I can see where it would be fairly easy by the end.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Black Belts have crap for armor.
    Not just that, but you should NEVER equip them with anything. It lowers their stats.What makes it hard or easy would be your playstyle I guess. I've beaten the game a million times so I pretty much got it down. 4 BB's is one of the easier parties and 1 BB is usually in my favorite party of FI,BB,RM,WM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    I dont see why everyone cries that the BB die so much. I have done a 4 BB party and only had like 3 or 4 deaths and they were by INSTANT kills. Hell with my current party, Fi/Fi/BB/BM, my BM has died 3 times so far and they were NOT by instant kill attacks.
    Kary and Kraken ALWAYS kill one of my blackbelts. When I have 4 of them, one drops every turn. Seahags wax black belts so badly that, when a party of kyzouku occasionally pops up, I'm always too weak to fight. (As though it matters. The concept of making money for cool wepaons and armors is totally shot when it comes to BBs.)

Wizards kill Black belts. The marsh cave is probably only a little easy with 4 because the lack of a white or red mage makes you think of buying lots of pures and heals. (More than you generally need) And when a wizard smashes one BB for 75 damage, he's dying the next turn whether or not you try to "heal" him.

Black Belts are like black mages at the front of your party. Minus attacks that hit every enemy. They die fast and do a lot of damage. A hater of BMs, like yourself, Black Mage FF1, should disapprove of BBs too, I'd think.

BBs are all attack, no defense. That's pretty much how they were designed I think. There are quite litreally the physical equivalent of BMs, and such reflecting some of their qualities. Either that or Square just wanted to make a class availble that didn't rely on equipment, but forgot to check if he was any good.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does anyone know if Origins fixed the BB defense bug that the NES version had? I remember that on the NES version at higher levels when your BB would gain a level their defense would go to crap but if you unequipped and reequipped their armor that the defense would be brought back up to the proper amount.
    Figaro Castle

It's a bit...odd in DoS at least. His defense isn't equal to his level anymore, but it starts higher (5). Armours now work inversely i.e. an armour with 6 absorb and a BB with a base of 10 would have 10-6 = 4 absorb, so really armours CAN be equipped, they just don't offer any benefit for the most part (thankfully you can use ribbons now without losing a heck of a lot of defense).

O, almost forgot, there's a bug whereby shops selling armour equippable will display that it will improve his defense (up arrow). Same goes when you use the "Optimal" command.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
    Does anyone know if Origins fixed the BB defense bug that the NES version had? I remember that on the NES version at higher levels when your BB would gain a level their defense would go to crap but if you unequipped and reequipped their armor that the defense would be brought back up to the proper amount.

No the bug is still in Origins.

Huh, I equipped all my BBs with prorings and equpped all the ribbons too. It worked fine for me.

Maybe I level up too much for my own good...
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV