Thread: VI Look-Alikes

Default VI Look-Alikes

i think Terra and Celes look alike. in CG pictures, Terra has blond hair, but in the some drawings, her hair is green. anyone have the Japanese version? i went to a site and it said that Terra's Jap. name is Tina. that's my name too!

Articles

My guess is that Terra was originally supposed to have blonde hair, along with more noticable physical differences between her and Celes, unrelated to hair color.

However, I think with the limited detail that could be implemented into the sprites for the game on SNES hardware, Square couldn't really acheive the level of difference in appearance that they desired, and opted to change Terra's hair color to establish her as a different character.

I originally thought they started as the same base model because of an exagerrated lack of hardware resources, much like the Lin Kuei characters (ie. Sub-Zero, Scorpion etc.) in the original SNES/Genesis Mortal Kombat games, but the character models in those games were "digitized", and much more hardware intensive compared to the 2-dimensional sprites found in the early FFs.

Regardless, the developers likely did start from the same/similar sprite to leave for change later so they could concentrate on other aspects of the game's design. It's don't think it's an uncommon practice.

As a disclaimer, that's complete speculation, with no research involved on the subject.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

terra was made for green hair-- look at her name

But yeah, it probably was to make her look different. Although I think they should've kept it green in the ps version. You start to wonder if they don't know how to do any other color but blonde.

I think she was called Tina somewhere, yeah. That's her theme on the Pray album that's called Tina's Theme. or one of those albums.

I prefer terra. it makes more sense.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Terra's Japanese name is Tina.

Her hair is blonde in the FMVs because the FMVs were based off Amano's work. Almost all of Amano's drawings give characters blonde hair. He drew Tifa of FFVII with blonde hair. Terra's hair is always green in the game, her sprite has always and will always have green hair. They altered Amano's art for her character portrait in game.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's true about amano.

So scary to see squall and rinoa with blonde hair. more so than terra.

I seriously thought 'they've got the wrong game with this.. wtp?'

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SePhO_zO
    My guess is that Terra was originally supposed to have blonde hair, along with more noticable physical differences between her and Celes, unrelated to hair color.

However, I think with the limited detail that could be implemented into the sprites for the game on SNES hardware, Square couldn't really acheive the level of difference in appearance that they desired, and opted to change Terra's hair color to establish her as a different character.

I originally thought they started as the same base model because of an exagerrated lack of hardware resources, much like the Lin Kuei characters (ie. Sub-Zero, Scorpion etc.) in the original SNES/Genesis Mortal Kombat games, but the character models in those games were "digitized", and much more hardware intensive compared to the 2-dimensional sprites found in the early FFs.

Regardless, the developers likely did start from the same/similar sprite to leave for change later so they could concentrate on other aspects of the game's design. It's don't think it's an uncommon practice.

As a disclaimer, that's complete speculation, with no research involved on the subject.
    MK wasn't originally for SNES/Genesis, it was originally an arcade game. Sub Zero and Scorpion were always meant to be similarly dressed but that's the only similarity. If you look at their sprites (yes, the game uses SPRITES, not "digitized character models") they have different animations and different special attacks.

Terra and Celes also look different. The reason their sprites are similar is because ALL sprites in FF look similar. They're all based off of the same model that was first used in FFI. The artist who did the art for the sprites probably just took some creative liberties when interpreting Amano's designs. This is NOT the first case of this. Just look at Guy's original design from FFII and then look at the two different sprites he's had. The first one was just the theif from FFI and the second also looked nothing like the original design. The entire cast of FFV seems to have been completely changed when turned into game sprites. All FF game sprites chare similarities though, and this is from being based on one character model.

Vicks and Wedge look startlingly similar.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    MK wasn't originally for SNES/Genesis, it was originally an arcade game. Sub Zero and Scorpion were always meant to be similarly dressed but that's the only similarity. If you look at their sprites (yes, the game uses SPRITES, not "digitized character models") they have different animations and different special attacks.
    I saw a special on Mortal Kombat, and they said that they needed an extra character, but had a limited amount of room left in the game, so they took the same actor (Ya know, Mortal Kombat's characters were motion captured--they're obviously real people) and just changed the color of his clothes, and gave him new attacks, etc. Two for the price of one.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

That so? 'Cause they woulda had to do more digital photography of him. He moves differently.

Articles

Well, I was going to say "Thanks for clearing that up" but Azar's post has only caused me to become further confused as to whether the characters are sprites or motion-captured renders. I had always heard the term "digitized" characters thrown around, though I never bothered to really look into what that meant. I understand the concept of sprite animation, but I can't see frames of 2D images when I look at the MK characters. I'm not doubting you; as I mentioned, it was only observation without any formal research. I just never would have guessed.

Originally posted by DJZen
    That so? 'Cause they woulda had to do more digital photography of him. He moves differently.
    Not a large amount. The only difference between the two characters is their stance, whereas all other motion, as far as I can tell, is identical between them. That wouldn't equate to a lot of extra time spent on motion-capturing.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Biggs and Wedge look alike as well! If only Gau grew a white moustache or something to look like his dad. Then perhaps the latter will recognise him.