Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFXI vs. WoW

Default FFXI vs. WoW

I personally havn't played World of Warcraft, and I'm not really planning on it either. However, after seeing that Gamespot chose it for game of the year I was pretty shocked, mainly because I was so sure that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was going to win. I've had Final Fantasy XI for a while now and I don't plan on switching, but I was just wondering how they compare to each other and what makes WoW so great.

From what I've heard, it's a MMORPG in fast forward. You don't really need parties to do everything that's worthwhile, and levels and money come at a faster rate. It seems like Blizzard has taken the timesink element out of the genre. I'm sticking to XI myself. Considering how long it takes to do just about anything in FFXI, I know I won't be completing the game anytime soon. There's always some goal to look forward to. I don't want a game like XI to end fast.
    Knock yourselves down.

Heres my response on my LS Board

To me personally, WoW caters more for the casual player. The one without alot of time to do things.

In FFXI you do things more in a group than with yourself. In WoW i heard ppl not really wanting to party up to do quests cuz they are too into doing their own quest. While in FFXI getting a group to do major quests is a requirement. While you can say FFXI quests are not rewarding, you can say the same to WoW a few years down the road when Gold and Silver money in it starts to inflate (unless they get a good money sinker ppl like). 3000 Gil was once alot too, and that is the same thing for WoW IMO.

Crafting also seems easier in respect to FFXI, as Suzu said if its that easy to fish, the 0.1 skillup in fishing obviously means alot less than the 0.1 fishing up in FFXI. Therefore if the entire road of fishing is that easy, its just that much sooner to end fishing before it becomes boring. Dont know, but IMO, if its that easy to skill somthing up(IF), then its not much of a reward saying i have a lvl 50 fishing skill in WoW, than a lvl 50 fishing skill in FFXI.

Crafting seems to be more profitable at start, but i think reason is that everyone is reletively low lvl for the most part. I mean i bet at one time Lizard Jerkin sold for quite a good sum of money until more crafters can create them too. Same for WoW i feel.

PvP i heard its real good, but i dont feel it should be that central to MMOs, but depends, look at Lineage 2. FF has a more co-op Gung Ho feeling no matter what nation, while in WoW...OMG YOU ARE THE HORDE! DIEE!!!!! *stabbity* o.o Also since you can solo most of the things, meeting other people would be that much harder. However that does save time and the frustration of parties and alliances sometimes. I however like to party, and its one of the things i enjoy FFXI more than some game like Ragnarok Online where i can solo the entire way to lvl 99.

Final Word? I wouldnt get WoW just yet, its too early in its lifespan before you can say much about it. Just like FFXI and RO before it, the start is always the best feeling and all. When you pay per month, you go for longetivity. Its too early to make a judgement on WoW especially compared to FFXI where they got a 2 year headstart and alot of things already figured out(after all, in FFXI beta we thought 4 WHM parties are the best :P and good ol RDM/MNK and 5 WAR 1 WHM PTs). Give it at least a year or two, then we can see accurately how things end up. SWG was good in the beginning too, remember that :P

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I played WoW through all of Open Beta and around two weeks of retail. At first, sure it's an extremely great game. But it still starts to fall under the repetitiveness of most MMORPG's. The only difference this game has is newer graphics (seeing as it's a newer game) which do make the landscapes and water very nice to look at, yet the character models are subpar to FFXI's. Also the fact that experience points and currency is extremely easy to come by, as you gain them while doing quests.

The quests are extremely repetitive. It's always the same "Go fetch this, take this here" or "Go find this guy and bring me his head" type things. It's basically just like FFXI's little quests (not missions) except with a little more jazz. All there is to do is quest, craft and PvP.

Quests start to get harder when you get into Contestant Terrirories, as you come across memebers of the other faction probably trying to do quests themselves. And of course somone's going to be stupid and just try to kill the other one. I was running to Lakeshire once at level 22 and a mounted Troll (who would have been above level 40) jumped off his mount and came and killed me... that's not fun, it's just annoying.

I found WoW to be very solo-orientated and I enjoy party things more. So it's really a matter of opinion. Also it seems like there's not much achievement in WoW seeing as everyone can do it pretty quick and easy.

I agree with the above post and I have made other posts that are probably more detailed.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I hear that Warcraft is too fast. I like my MMORPGs to last. It seems that its only a psuedo-MMORPG for people who are too impatient to raise a character in a game like Everquest or Final Fantasy XI.

Consequentially, it has become popular. It is appealing to the casual gamer. Something I've learned about people is that they are always looking for the easy way out of something. It may have become apparent to me in Phantasy Star Online, where I observed almost every single player cheating. People want results fast, and don't want to work for them. Whether this will affect the MMORPG genre for better or for worse, I will not give my opinion on. I do believe we just may see some changes if this game gets to be as popular as its turning out to be.

I haven't played WoW, nor do I plan on it, so I can't criticize any of the gameplay aspects. I do plan on picking up Everquest 2, however.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

I betad WoW also it goes to fast and the jobs seem too strong shaman especialy i was doing better than my war was you get money to easily so you wind up lving up and haveing good gear way to fast and there is no real need for partys till much later and since you cant switch jobs you find your self haveing tons of extra characters as for the game play its the basterd child of city of heros the fighting and invitory system is the exact same the only diffrence is you can equip actual items in WoW

After playing FFXI for 3 months, and World of Warcraft for about a month and a half, I can say a few things about each.

It took me 3 months in FFXI to get a level 18 Dark Knight, after passing 30 with Warrior.

It took me 1.5 months in WoW to get a level 45 Dwarf Hunter.

In FFXI, everything requires a party. Parties are essential to levelling up.

In WoW, I've only been in a party about 3 times. They were instance groups, in which you NEED 5 people. The rest of the game was solo'd pretty easily.

FFXI upset me with its payment plan, whereas I slightly prefer World of Warcraft's. I paid $26 for three months of FFXI, due to the free month at the beginning. I had 2 characters.

In WoW I've got about 12 characters, and I enjoy playing each one. I'm paying $39 for four months of WoW, due to the free month at the beginning. I get 10 more characters for the same payment rate as FFXI.

In FFXI there is nearly no character versatility. The level of customization in WoW is great.

However, I think that maybe I am a poor judge since I became bored to tears of FFXI and I'm approaching that feeling with WoW already.

However, I think that maybe I am a poor judge since I became bored to tears of FFXI and I'm approaching that feeling with WoW already.
    Dont think you are, one of the reasons of why i feel i wanted to avoid WoW until i find out more(since MMOs when first released arent the real representatives of themselves) about it, was since i heard it was fast pace i heard, i dont wanna be able to do most things so fast =/

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Changed mind look at bottom post.
    Last edited by Akebeth; 02-16-2005 at 02:52 AM.

there is no better RPG than Final Fantasy. no RPG has surpassed the series and none of them has countless series like it. we may be expecting FFXII right now, but when you add all the other in-between Final Fantasy games, there really is a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie514
    there is no better RPG than Final Fantasy. no RPG has surpassed the series and none of them has countless series like it. we may be expecting FFXII right now, but when you add all the other in-between Final Fantasy games, there really is a lot more.
    This is a MMORPG, not an RPG. And there are also a fair few good RPG's that are better than most FF games.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds like WoW is completely devoid of the arse-whooping feeling of accomplishment that you get after doing crazy hard quests (i.e., subjob quest, kazham keys, and my most recent, genkai 1)

When i played WoW it was only a couple weeks old and people were still figuring things out. There wasnt much player communication and u could do just about everthing by your self. Citizen is right that there isnt as much a sense of accomplishment. I felt less involved in the world, but i sold it to my friend and he's been playin a lot. From what he says its getting better. People ban together more and there are weekly Forge raids where huge parties of 50 invade towns and such. Sounds fun for a pvp game.
    "May the king of gloom, be forever doomed and in your sad machines you'll forever stay burning up in speed lost inside the dreams, of teen machines."
    ~Billy Corgan "here is no why"

Okay, Ive been thinking about it and for one thing, since you posted this on a Final Fantasy website there is little chance of these posts not being one sided. Also what I said was kinda wrong. World of Warcraft is a very good game, mostly because the ability's are much deeper than FFXI, and you get a lot more. Another reason I belive WoW outmatches FFXI is because FFXI isn't really that great of a game compaired to the other FF, I'm not saying it's bad at all but there isn't much freedom in it. Where on the other hand WoW has much more customization to you character and more ways to explore each area.

Now FFXI does beat WoW in crafting in my opinion, because it is harder to craft, although making it harder does not always meen it is better so I think crafting is equal mostly. The point was made that the same lvl in craft on FFXI makes better items than the same lvl in WoW but the crafts can go past 100 in WoW (at least I'm pretty sure they can, 300 total I think, but I'm not positive. So don't hold me to it.) So that is why they balance out.

Lvl wise FFXI is, of course, much much much harder to lvl. That alone could make WoW easier in terms of lvling, but that isn't always the main point to a MMORPG, in my opinion, the point is to have all around fun playing it with other people or solo whatever you enjoy. That would make it so FFXI would be worse, because if you like to solo then you pretty much have to wait to 30 to do it (bst/whm or whatever sub you want, you could argue this with rdm or war/whm, but you can't really gain lvls that way and by now most should know that, at least 11-30) where as WoW you can solo well with a lot, if not all of the classes.

Now for party's, in FFXI, as you all know, 10-75 is all about being in a party for hours at a time, just to hit that next lvl. In WoW it's more about enjoying yourself and having fun doing quests/raids/lvling. You can, of course, enjoy yourself in partys in FFXI (if you couldn't you wouldn't play) but if you are like most of the people you know places like *sigh* Valkurm Dunes is complete and total chaos.
    I could keep going but here are the main things of each.

So all in all here are the Good things about each.

WoW
    More ways to make your character different from the rest.
    A much more large selection of spells/abillitys.
    Goals are not usually to Get to the next lvl.
    Much more detailed quest system.
    Storyline is better (in my opinion)
    Can have fun by sitting at the pc for 1hour to 10hours or more.
    Better graphics (not the biggest thing but needed to add it)
    GMs are more stricked to "cheaters" i.e. gold buyers ext.
    Can make as many Caracters as you want. (without buying more)
    PvP, and more PvP.
    No exp loss if you die.
    Have all jobs at start. (good or bad your choice, just like all of these)

FFXI
    Subjobs
    Does not need to change character (can be good, my opinion bad)
    Extra Jobs at 30
    Crafting (give this to FFXI b/c of reasons above)
    Ummm.....oh ^.^ Chocobos!

and here is the Bad
    WoW
    Easier to lvl (good or bad opinion yet again)
    Parties are not needed as much (good or bad....again)
    Mount at lvl 40, though it is to keep, unlike Chocobo.
    Based on PvP <<<<<< this is NOT true b/c of the different servers, i.e Role Playing, PvE and PvP
    WoW is Quest based, and thats the main part of the game.

FFXI
    Must sit at pc for hours to lvl at medium/higher lvls
    Choco costs gil every time you use it
    exp loss at death (even though most of the time you die b/c of idiot party members)
    Quest system is much smaller than WoW.
    Must pay for each additional character.

There are more to each, but I am done writing so it's up to you which is better. If you like quests/PvP/relaxed palying WoW is for you. If you like taking hours to gain a single lvl and listing to spam all the time (or having people buy gil) FFXI if for you. WoW is better in my opinion but, as always it is your choice alone that makes you play what games you do. (and just because a game has the title of Final Fantasy in it doesn't meen it is better, for whoever said the long thing about FF being the best RPG, blah blah blah, and to the person who said it was a MMORPG I aggre )^.^ ( can't look at names in center text box : ) There you go my opinion, good luck to everyone! : )
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys
    Sounds like WoW is completely devoid of the arse-whooping feeling of accomplishment that you get after doing crazy hard quests (i.e., subjob quest, kazham keys, and my most recent, genkai 1)
    Sigh* I had to say sumtin on this then i'm done writing lol. There are a lot of higher lvl quest so you do get that feeling, i.e lvl 10 all classes have a quest that gives you there basic standerd ability that makes there class unique. Warlocks huge cool summon for example, or Rouges Duel Weild. There I'm done
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.