Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: final fantasy 9

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm...I don't think FFIX is the best, but from what I've played, it's pretty good. I'm about in the middle of the second disc right now.

The characters are good...them+the story are the best things about this game. They're what keeps me playing. Zidane is definitley different from the last couple of heros, which is sort of like a ncie breath of fresh air. He isn't annoying, and I'm finding myself being able to sympathize woith him easily. Steiner, though, is my favorite charaxcter. I love the relationship that him and Garnet have.

But, I have to say...the gameplay in this, more specifically, the battle system...I can't stand it. It grates on my nerves. It might just be me, but the transition to battle is really slow, which bothers me. I like having four people, though---it's different. But the ability-learning system=blegh. It's boring. i liked junctioning, and materia, because i was constantly changing it around, and playing with it. Meh.

The music is pretty good, but there's only one or two stand-out tracks. for me at least. Kuja's Theme in particular is excellent. Everything else is good, but there isn't anything that really captures my attention.

Once I finish this, I might have a different opinion though. We'll see.

--Box Box Box Box

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Although FF9 isn't my favorite either, it is a great and very underappreciated game. I wasn't expecting much when I first started, but fell in love right away with the characters, especially Vivi. I also liked the music and storyline.

I agree that Square's tribute to the old style of battle wasn't necessarily welcome, but it fit with their theme of honoring past FF games.

All and all, I think FF9 should get more credit then it generally does.

Quote Originally Posted by Grover
    I liked how Square took the gameply of the old FF's and mixed it with the graphics of the new
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

Smile FFIX Good but not the best

I began playing FF with the first one on the original NES, and have enjoyed everyone up to X. I never looked at XI. (Online not my thing) I have played and beat every one except IX which I am in the middle of now. So far I think the best feature in IX is the cut scenes. They are perfectly seemless and breathtaking. But the battles and the items just suck. I hate that you have no choice in the characters you use. I like the different characters though. It seems the game was rushed. It was the third FF on the playstation, I think square-Enix should have waited a year to bring IX to the PS2. I can not comment on the story line yet as I am just in the begining.
    I decide who lives or dies

Yeah, i think its really under valued. Ok it isn't the best one but its pretty damn good. Don't shoot me or nothing but i dont like VII very much. VIII has a bit of a crappy storyline, the whole (SPOILER)Oh we forgot we were orphen and all lived together I love X and its probs my favorite. IX is a nice rounded one, theres not perticulaly outstanding part but its all really good!

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWonder
    Yeah, i think its really under valued. Ok it isn't the best one but its pretty damn good. Don't shoot me or nothing but i dont like VII very much. VIII has a bit of a crappy storyline, the whole (SPOILER)Oh we forgot we were orphen and all lived together I love X and its probs my favorite. IX is a nice rounded one, theres not perticulaly outstanding part but its all really good!
    (SPOILER)Their GFs messed up their memories so they forgot about their childhoods. (Odd though because Irvines first time using them was with Squall. He's probably just stupid)

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I hated FFVIII up until that very moment, and that made me hate it even more. That was one of the worst plots ever. Anyways, FFIX is also my favorite in the series. The music is very good, and I love the characters and the story. Most of all, I simply love the fantasy setting. It's just a great world. It has a stellar sense of style. The battle system, I thought, was a lot of fun. I liked it when set at the highest speed, and the way you learn abilities perfectly mixes the old style with a breath of fresh air. Materia was great...the Junction system was crap.

I liked ff9 the best because the story is so trippy and there were so many parts that made no sense. also there was alot of random things with no point that was great when your crunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Sword Strike
    (SPOILER)Their GFs messed up their memories so they forgot about their childhoods. (Odd though because Irvines first time using them was with Squall. He's probably just stupid)

(SPOILER)I thought Irvine was only one who remembered about the Orphanage the slightest bit. Isn't that why he was hesitant to snipe Edea in the first place? Because he knew for some reason she was special to him. Either that or I'm giving him too much credit, and he actually is a pansy.

And yes, FFIX is one of my favourites.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I didn't like the ATB system in this game. It wasn't so bad in the previous FFs, but it was just so damned slow in FFIX. You could punch in a cure, and by the time that Dagger actually uses it, the other guy is already dead. What's even more frustrating is that Ozma doesn't even abide by the ATB laws.

But the type of guy I am, an RPG can skate by me on story alone. And for that I got to give credit to FFIX. Good villain, which is always welcome to me. Good music, namely The Dark Messenger. I'd say its about my third or fourth favorite Final Fantasy.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

i recon that ff9 would have to be my fav (i have nearly finished 8 and in 10 i can beat final jecht with 3 attacks from my bahamut) but the only problem with 9 is that i have to rent it out and to make make matters worse i cannot rent it where i did because they sold it but i have a freind who has it, unfortunatley hes to lazzy to look in a few boxes and find it to lend to me (along with 6 & 7 hopefully) anyway my fv part about the ff seris the high use of armogedden like music (kind of like star wars) that makes the drama reach greater hights in my books. but to finish of my fav part of 9 is how you start of walking and getting blown about the map then you get a boat, next you get a rather stupid airship (which i geuss that i does its job) and finally that cool ship (cant remember name though)so ff 9 gets a 9.8253 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------- there is much we must find out about ourselves until then we shall destroy

you should buy it then!!!! heehee!!!
    its the best!!! plus its platinum so should be cheap as chips!!!! (BARGIN HUNTERS!!!!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaBlizzard8
    Although FF9 isn't my favorite either, it is a great and very underappreciated game. I wasn't expecting much when I first started, but fell in love right away with the characters, especially Vivi. I also liked the music and storyline.

I agree that Square's tribute to the old style of battle wasn't necessarily welcome, but it fit with their theme of honoring past FF games.

All and all, I think FF9 should get more credit then it generally does.
    Exactly, nicely said

FFIX is my favorite FF, my favorite RPG and my favorite game. FFIX rules them all ^^v
    The ATB system is as good as it is in FFVII and FFVIII, in my opinion.
    Kuja was the greatest villain ever. Ultima in FFIX is the magic Ultima gotta be. Not like in FFVIII, where you can get Ultima even in a village, for only 5000 G (XD).
    And the plot kicks the fat ass of FFVIII. This one had a soooo dumb plot (SPOILER)OMFG We were orphans and lived together and - what a coincidence - Edea was with us too! And we only remembered it now! OMFG!
    The ability system kicks FFVII and FFVIII too, the Summons plot (Did FFVII have a plot for the summons? *shot*) was very good...

IMHO FFIX is perfect.
    And the fact that FFIX is basically a better version of FFI only give it more credits XD

Final Fantasy IX was a really good game, not my favorite, but very close.