Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oscar winning Anime

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence will be nominated, if only for the outstandingly beautiful animation, it will certainly not win, if only for the fact that The Acadamy is a huge hype tracking machine, and the fact that Shrek 2 and The Incredibles have much more of a universal appeal to adults and children, the same way holsome and not confusing at all Spirted Away did.

And Dingo's right, being an anime fanboy is bad. Being a fanboy for anything is bad, infact, be it anime, or say... Micheal Jordan shoes.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anime is okay. I like Tenchi Muyo, and the older DBZs, but it's overrated.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Note: I do not like SpongeBob so don't take this personal.

If SpongeBob the Movie won I would wonder what the world has to come too. I think society is easily amused by simplistic, pointless, waste of paper, animation. in other worlds people like SpongeBob!!!!It's evil and should be banned from television

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    Roofls, I just saw Shrek 2 and hated it with a passion, whereas Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door was an artistic msaterpiece. You can't say it isn't without having actually seen the fight scene on the tower. But there really is an anime for everyone. Until you've seen each and every show, you can't say that you hate anime. You may hate a huge number of them, but in order for you to hate them all, you'd need to hate TV.
    Like I said in another thread, CB being an artistic masterpiece is strictly an opinion, as is my opinion on S2. Again, it's easy for you to say that fight in the tower was like "omg way awesomeness", but that's because you're a fan of it. Much like it's easy to say "whatever" because I've been disappointed by the quality of anime. I don't think I have to watch EVERY show to judge anime, because my life as it is right now simply would not allow it.

Also, TV has more than just anime. Just because someone hates anime, doesn't mean they hate TV. I tend to prefer flesh like movies, and sports. Again, my preference. I'd take a boring Indians vs. Mariners game any day of the week over another countless anime that disappoints me to no end.

I liked Pokemon and Digimon, but they may be just me.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    Again, it's easy for you to say that fight in the tower was like "omg way awesomeness", but that's because you're a fan of it.
    I wasn't talking about the actual fight; I was talking about the art, the visually stunning animation and the symbolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    Also, TV has more than just anime. Just because someone hates anime, doesn't mean they hate TV. I tend to prefer flesh like movies, and sports. Again, my preference. I'd take a boring Indians vs. Mariners game any day of the week over another countless anime that disappoints me to no end.
    I wasn't trying to get at that. I was saying that I don't see how you can hate all anime, but not hate TV. Like DMKA said, it's a genre with thousands of sub-genres. You can't dislike all animes if you haven't seen them all. It's like saying you hate all sports, but you've only played basketball.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    Akira should have won in 1988 (61st academy awards) instead of RAIN MAN. Ghost in the Shell should have won in 1995 (68th academy awards) over BRAVEHEART", (yes, even a film as good as that) while princess mononoke should have won in 1997 (70th academy awards) over that TITANIC crap.
    Look, I love anime, but I think you're taking fanboyism a bit too far. Akira is not a better movie than Rain Man. Ghost in the Shell is not a better movie than Braveheart. However, I think that Princess Mononoke is an absolute masterpiece, and far exceeds Spirited Away. Maybe, just maybe, it deserved to win Best Picture.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just because someone says they "hate anime" doesn't mean they hate every single anime that exists, and I'm sure people who love anime don't love every single anime out there either.

People shouldn't place too much emphasis on genre, a good movie is a good movie, is a good movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    Just because someone says they "hate anime" doesn't mean they hate every single anime that exists, and I'm sure people who love anime don't love every single anime out there either.

People shouldn't place too much emphasis on genre, a good movie is a good movie, is a good movie.
    Thank you.

Not that anyone ever listens to that simple logic.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

I agree, but DJ makes it sound like he hates all anime.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

I,m a fanboy, i already admited that. But sometimes i am genuine. When i say, Akira or Ghost in the Shell should have won, i mean it. Not because of my fanboyness...but because thats my objective as possible opinion. At the same time, i would not have given Ninja scroll an oscar over Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump or Shawnshank redemption (are you crazy) and the LOTR films were easy better then any Anime that could have competed. I,m not as bias as you may think. i love films and tv.

And yes, i have seen at least 30 crap Anime, and think of all the crap that is never released in the west cause it is so crap?

oh, Shrek 2 does not deserve victory imho.i have not seen the incrediables. it looks crap, but i cant judge till i watch. However unless its is somehow BETTER then Finding Nemo, it should not be a sure winner. At the very least GITS 2 should be Nominated, as there is nothing to keep it out (even though it has not been dubbed in English so i heard). Then i do not care if the Incrediables Hype machine crushes it. I just want to se GITS 2 get what it deserves...at least a nomination. (and if that dire Sharks Tale somehow gets nominated i will scream).
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7