Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight Angel
    Everyone has their own opinion, and I respect that. I personally enjoy anime. I prefer its animation style to American. I also like the stories. There are some really stupid animes out there, but then, there's also some really stupid American movies and cartoons as well. Wether or not anime 'sucks' is all just opinion.

In case you didn't read any of that, I disagree.
    I also agree with StarLight on this o.o

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't care for anime. There used to be an anime club at my high school and I thought the people there were pretty weird. And that's coming from someone who's already pretty weird. But if you like to watch, go for it!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

American animation sucks!
    It is the most pointless and ugly artform. Also, the movies it's used in are all so stupid.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh my god. I never though I'd see the day. A thread about anime that's actually not worshipping it. *wipes imaginary tear from eye*

But seriously, anime is overrated. Some anime is good, but it's not THAT amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    It is the most pointless and ugly artform. Also, the movies it's used in are all so stupid.

I'm not an Anime fan, and I don't really see the appeal, but I don't think it sucks, and certainly not in comparison to any other style of animation. The concept of many Animes is just too 'wacky' for me, what with space-princesses piloting giant mechs which upgrade every two minutes to fire even bigger lasers than before*. While the artwork itself might be very good, if the plot doesn't interest me then I won't watch the show. The only Anime I've ever really seen is mainstream stuff like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh, anything more obscure gets very little airtime over here. However, what I've seen of so-called 'good' Anime hasn't really been fantastic, and still doesn't appeal.

This doesn't mean it sucks, just that it's not my personal preference. American animation seems no better than Anime, with both styles having plus and minus points, but both being somewhat disappointing.

Of course, for every person who finds anime uninteresting, there's one who is utterly obsessed with the stuff, with a wardrobe full of imported DVDs and who cosplays twice a week*. It's because the genre has such popularity that it doesn't 'suck', since to maintain such a loyal fanbase it must have quite a lot going for it. Sure, you may not like it, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad artform. The best thing to do would be to ignore it, and leave the fans to their passion.

*Yes, I'm aware that this is an exaggerated and inaccurate statement. Go away.
    *Yes, this too. Be quiet.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

gdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsg

I've seen my fair share of Anime (not just the DBZ type stuff) and threadstarter is right, it really isn't that great. I believe that if it was made in a country like America (but had the exact same content), people would like it less.

X-Men is much more patriotic anyway. I mean, really, Cable could PWN Kaneda or whatever any day.

I happen to really enjoy a lot of the anime out there. Also, I never understood how everyone could catagorize anime in one big ball. I suppose that's because of the crap that's going mainstream. I will agree that there are certain shows that are incredibly stupid and sadly enough, that's the stuff that's catching on here in the US and is overpriced and overplayed.
    To any disgruntle anime haters, try watching things like Samurai X, Hellsing, or some deeper rooted animes. ( And if you have then I'm glad you gave it a chance. ^_^ Too bad you didn't enjoy. ) The friends back home hated anime but would at least sit with me during Samurai X or the Cowboy Bebop movie without me having to tie them down and enjoyed it. ^_^;; I even got my dad to sit down with me during some animes and he enjoyed it.
    Not all anime is about a middle school girl gettings special powers or transported to another world and OMFG KAWAII NO BAKA, NO DA?!?! ( I butchered that one purpose . . . ^_^ ) You just have to search for the gems in the bunch.
    ( Although, I enjoy the spastic, crazy stuff too. Word up to all the Excel Saga fans. )

But as said, one's opinon is their own and continue to believe what you will cause I'll continue to love my anime regardless.

By the way - Lindy, that website it the BEST. I had a good laugh at it. Hehe. I also found this awesome Arnold Swhathaneger in Japanese that made me die a thousand wonderful deaths. :<3:
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levian
    I think American and Japanese cartoons can shake hands when it comes to realism
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Oh, and
    http://esvc000701.wic015u.server-web...boybebopLR.jpg
    http://www.philsch.k12.pa.us/schools...enshin0092.jpg
    http://kaz9n.hp.infoseek.co.jp/works/wolf/wolf1.jpg
    vs
    http://www.reelingreviews.com/heyarnoldthemoviepic.jpg
    http://www.filmcan.hpg.ig.com.br/posters/Rugrats.jpg
    http://images.chron.com/content/news...8/11/mucha.jpg

Not saying that I hate American cartoons, because I love 'em; just that there are many different art styles. How can you say which is the best, when everyone draws differently? Anime artists draw their characters in a way that fits the anime best.
    Last edited by SomethingBig; 12-28-2004 at 07:58 PM.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Quote Originally Posted by borisnono
    fav stuff FINAL FANTASY and neon genesis evangeleon!
    i love you!

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight Angel
    Everyone has their own opinion, and I respect that. I personally enjoy anime. I prefer its animation style to American. I also like the stories. There are some really stupid animes out there, but then, there's also some really stupid American movies and cartoons as well. Wether or not anime 'sucks' is all just opinion.

In case you didn't read any of that, I disagree.
    pretty much the same for me..

"People Always Lie" - House MD.

Member of the KH Trinity

Bitch bitch bitch.
    You don't like it, don't watch it. That's what I do with most things.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Wow, making a thread so specifically attack something you "hate" for no apparent reason, that wouldn't affect you in any way unless you were sitting down and watching it. Your maturity level is one I must bow to.

As for me, I love anime. It's really the only thing I'm into anymore. BSSM, Gravitation, Steel Angel Kurumi, Excel Saga, and the best, Puni Puni Poemi = :<3:. I really don't see how anyone could say films like Akira, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Adolescense of Utena are ugly, much less the "most ugly".

I wouldn't be shocked to find out you were a Nazi or Klansmen...really, I wouldn't.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

While I hate most of the newer cartoons coming out I really like some American cartoons, like Invader Zim. Not all the movies are stupid, maybe just the ones you've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_angel
    i love you!
    i that case i love you too!!
    i guess i love all cartton styles, i love disney which is partically as mainstream as you can get but i also love weird animes and manga like perfect blue, legend of the overfiend( sooo rude!) and ninga scroll!!
    i guess we all like dofferent things....LIKE A VARIETY BUCKET!! :sing: :sing: :sing: *sings from funny KFC ad!*

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've read the manga for Inuyasha its not that appealing. DBZ is godawful.

For the good ones, Neon Genesis Evangelion is certainly a must, I'm quite fond of Rurouni Kenshin myself (Samurai X being the OAV). I've heard good things about Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop, and many people like Trigun though I've heard of people who dislike it. As I said earlier, there are many good anime, and there are many bad anime, its no different than any other form of cinema. You wouldn't make a broad statement such as "I hate movies" right? This is essentially the same thing, anime is far too broad to be classified as one entity.