• FF VII

13 30.95%
  • FF VIII

9 21.43%
  • FF IX

1 2.38%
  • FF X

17 40.48%
  • How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

2 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite "Limit" system?

Default Favorite "Limit" system?

So, what is your favorite limit system?

FF VI- happens at critically low health, at a low probability. Initiated with a standard attack- you know they do one when they do it. Limits are not learned- come with character.

FF VII- Limit bar. Fills up from taking damage. When full, attack changes to limit. Limits learned mostly through use, some through items.

FF VIII- At critical health, a character may have the option to perform a limit break. (Probability much higher than in VI). Can opt for regular attack.

FF IX- Trance. Similar to the limit bar, but when it is full, trance initiates automatically. Trance can last for several turns.

FF X- The overdrive system. Haven't played this one, so can't really comment beyond that :P

For me, VI was just too random. They were suprising and special when the happened, but when you only get to see 1 or 2 if you are lucky, it is just too far.

VII was pretty cool, but I felt there was just a little too much control- You could almost save up the limit, and use it at your leisure. Tons better than VI's though.

VIII gets my vote- There was no bar, but it happened in dire circumstances, and was just uncertain enough to make them very appreciated.

IX is better than VI, but not by much. Trances are often less-than-breathtaking, (probably due at least in part to their multi-turn duration), and very often are wasted through either very weak enemies, or at the very end of a fight. Too often do I find myself thinking "That would have been useful 2 fights ago..."

X can't comment, through "overdrive" is a cool word.
    Last edited by Remnant; 12-01-2004 at 01:47 AM.
    The next time you're feeling so invincible that you don't feel like saving, remember this sig- TAKE TWO SECONDS AND SAVE TWO HOURS! SAVE YOUR GAME!

FFX definetly has the most diverse "limit" system so far. you can choose for each character how you want their "limit bar" to increase. whether from taking hits, giving hits, supporting other characters, or being healed, etc. etc.

X gets my vote because of the choices
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

VIII because you could just switch turns until you got limit, unlimited Renzokuken goodness.

VIII because you could just switch turns until you got limit, unlimited Renzokuken goodness.
    And win the game without junctioning because of it. I like how it encouraged people to keep low health.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

i liked ffx's beacuse u could save it to use on a high level enemy
    i used an overdrive i got besaid on a boss in the moonflow
    I am Odin
    You are Odin! You appear entirely at random to
    assist those whom you deem worthy. Though this
    makes you somewhat unreliable, the ability to
    cut almost any enemy in half makes you worth
    having around.

What Final Fantasy summon are you?
    brought to you by Quizilla

The Trance system would've been about 1408 times better if you could actually store it until a later battle, the gauge filled up faster (many of my characters only have one Trance per playthrough), and the characters had a more diverse set of Trance abilities (i.e. Quina Eat=>Cook, Garnet Summon=>Eidolon)... Yesh

I voted for seven cause it had the coolest and most Limits (Vincent=Chaos rocks, I will be HIGHLY disappointed if DoC doesn't have some sort of Vincent turning into a f'ugly monster).

X also has a very good Limit system.

Cant pick between 7 and 8....both were pretty Good!

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

VI- Too random, I never got them when I needed them

VII- This one was OK, the only drawback was that you couldn't just attack with a full gauge

VIII- This one was crap, I don't like to have my chars on crytical

IX- Haven't played this one

X- This one is the best: many options, the entrust skill

I'm torn between VII and X, so I voted for the last option because I LOVE Monkey Island. <_<

IX's trancing would have been better if it carried over into the next fight, especially since about 90% of the time I tranced it was at the end of a fight. -_-

FFVI: I've never seen any .
    FFVII: A lot of them were pretty cool and all, but if you're "limited," you can't choose to attack normally.
    FFVIII: Lets you attack normally when "limited," but you have to be in critical status, and even worse to have a better chance of getting Lionheart.
    FFIX: Crap.
    FFX: Works like FFVII's lets you attack normally when "overdriven," and lets you decide on how the gauge goes up (you have to earn the options, but still...).

FFX gets my vote .

:shoot:

It's a tossup between 7 and 8. Sevens was probably the best in my opinion, however it was really nice to be able to use renzokuken over and over again, and it somehow never got boring.

right here is my reasons for likes and dislikes :

final fantasy 7: like: just the general system is amazing
    dislike: well... not all of them are that good (mentioning no berrets)

final fantasy 8: like: one word: LIONHEART
    dislike: unless you hav an aura stone you have to be on lowe health

final fantasy 9: like: the colours!!!
    dislike: how LONG it takes.

final fantasy 10: like: how they do them (blitz ace rox)
    dislike: ...........em.....LuLu's overdrive isnt that good...

final fantasy 10-2: like: i dont like it
    dislike: "special dresspheres* LAME
    Member of the KH Trinity

p.s i think 8 an 10 have the best
    Member of the KH Trinity

FFX had the best, plain and simple. No way you can argue with that. With FFX you had many different ways to gain it and you can use it whenever you want.

Default Its definetily X

ff6: Limit break system stunk pretty badly on this game.

ff7: I never really used limit break on this game it was always 1...2...3 Knights of the round. This system was more stable though

ff8: This came in handy quite a bit, especially when wandering around Island closest to hell. I like using Zells armageddon fist combo. Activates in those really needy times. Use Aura

ff9: This system had its flaws but it comes in handy against later foes.

ff10: This is the best system because u can save the limit break for later.
    Being able to customize how to build up the limit break is pretty nifty too.
    And remember Aeons build up power using all customizations.

FF10-2: this system is difficult to learn, I recommend tampering withit yourselves. Quote (special dresspheres Rock!!!!!!!!)
    I live for curiosity, I have no fears, I fight for what I believe in, and never look back.