Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this Suck or Does this Suck

Blog Entries

Actually I also don't like FF9 that much.

Characters design: is horrible! Soory but who is going to remember to create a character with a tail and a horrible name that reminds me a football player that I hate (Zidane);

Vivi: A character with no head (that is disgusting) and with two big yellow eyes (that is scary), I mean how/where does the eyes hold?

Garnet would be the only normal character and in fact she is!

Quina: My tv is big and I bet that she doesn't fit in it!

Steiner: A bunch of tin that never gets rusty and his eyes looks like cartoon!

Queen smth: Simply horrible, the first time that I saw her i scared myself!

Kuja: Is it a girl or a boy?

Game:

Gaphics - They are ok
    Battles - Ok too...
    FMV - Very good if it wasn't the fact of the characters design be so horrible!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 77
    Well it seems u all have made your points on here but here is my clear reasons for not liking this game firstly lets start with the rallyho thing in conde petie, they basically stole that idea from final fantasy 4 if any of you have played it you would know it already. After playing through 7 u can see a few similaritys that 9 have tried to go over for example cloud and sephiroth, zidane and kuja, cloud is a clone of sephiroth and then u have zidane which is a special type of genome you can clearly see here the similaritys they were trying to copy off FF7 which i found wrong because i thought FF7 had a much better plot unlike 9. I know it was the last game on the playstation and i know that sqaure was trying to make a final fantasy that resembled the others but they didnt have to steal some ideas from other storylines onto this game. This is only my opion some people like it and some people hate it, but there is no need to get nasty about it im only speaking my mind.

ALEXANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How is it stealing? FF7 and FF9 were made by the SAME COMPANY! Most of the same people were involved in making the game! It's not stealing! FF9 was considered a tribute to the older games.

There's something from almost every previous FF game in it. There is an NPC named Locke, does that mean they STOLE his name from FF6?

There is an item called "Une's Mirror" does that mean they STOLE Dr Unne's name from FF1? It's not stealing if it already belongs to you. And it's not like they were major parts in the story. You see those guys in Conde Petie like 3 times? Wow such a huge story arc. Zidane being a Genome has nothing to do with Cloud and Sephiroth. This seriously makes my brain hurt.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked it when Valkyrie Profile nicked loads of music tracks from Star Ocean 2 for it's bonus dungeon, then Star Ocean 3 went and did the same to Valkyrie Profile.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

the rallyho thing in conde petie, they basically stole that idea from final fantasy 4 if any of you have played it you would know it already.
    but they made the game....it's not as if they were stealing the idea...plus as meantioned they wanted to go back to their roots. if using an old word is that...theres nothing wrong!
    anyway! IX is amazing so there!

Trust No one

yes, all of those were only refrences, and how would they go back to the roots of final fantasy if they didnt make any of those, so it cant really be considered "stealing"

(i personally loved ff9, or maybe i just feel attached because it was my first final fantasy)

oh, and the original saying for the dwarves was "tally ho"
    Last edited by DrkFenix912; 12-31-2004 at 10:06 PM. Reason: forgot about the rally ho thing

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

Cloud -- Sephiroth
    Zidane -- Kuja
    HERO -- VILLAIN

Need I say more?
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

To be honest i never really liked this game either but i don't side with you adam. I don't understand how you can complain about characters being too similar....hello!!! one was a big ugly piece of tin one was an alien with a tail, one 2 feet and black,i would go on but i fell i need say no more. As for the things were stole theory i'm sorry but you are clutching straws there mate, every final fantasy has things passed down through tyhe generations and this one was the ultimate tribute. But these refrerences you put forward have nothing to do with the plot or character development,unless which you pointed out the personalitys are to samish. Well i thought they blended in the different chareacters gorgeausely. I'm sorry but your argument came across as ab it of a stupid ramble with no substance to it please think before y ou post. .

For me i never liked the weapon system, my mates did but it never really suited me i'm much more of a sphere grid man myself. The thing were you lost hp when you were ko'd was a serious bummer to. And i hated it that eidelons sucked thatwas a biggie, i cant ever recll using them much to much mp for nothing of note.

p.s adamb your kuja - seperoth thing, dont get you there, if you are stating that they stole the good guy saves the world against evil guy routine tghen please sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Well, as it is obvious, and has been stated, anyone can speak their minds as long as they don't bash someone else's opinion. Whether the reasen may be not be mature, it doesn't really matter...

Now, getting back to the point, this game I had played because of my friend. He had gotten it by suprise and we were both exited because we never played this Final Fantasy before. But when he let me borrow it and I played it it was pure magic. Fun, colorful environments and a lovable main character! I can see why it is so over rated unlike FFVII. Don't get me wrong, VII is my fave, but you HAVE to give this one a chance. FFX sucks compared to this! It is pure genious. Going back to the roots of Final Fantasy I think was a wise choice. Just don't bash the game because of the short characters...please...Try to look past that. As I had once made that mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    Characters design is horrible! !
    Totally agree
    They should've stuck with the original sketches
    (can't remember who they're by..... The ones on the discs)
    They would actually look pretty cool especiall Steiner, and
    even Quina wasn't too bad. Amarant still looks like a dick though.
    I like Kuja's hair but come on cover up

I liked the cartoony look of FF9. ^^ Its cute!
    Even though I still think Amarant looks like a red-haired version of Bob Marley ...

Dont worry, I thought that FF9 sucked, simply because it does! I mean the main character has a tail???!!! I mean what the hell is that all about, at least ff8 characters were human! Final Fantasy 8 in terms of reality and gameplay IMO is a superior game. FF9 just tried 2 be too complex and fell flat on its feet. I want a game I can just pick up and play, not a game where I have to cringe and puzzle at the fact my character has a tail, and Freya??!! What the hell is she? come on squaresoft you've been good so far, keep your characters real people!Look at PCgamer magazine, think that will just show you that FF9 was a disaster! I've been a gamer all my life, since I grew up in its development, doesnt make me an expert sure, but still emotionally and pleasingly for me final fantasy hits you harder than ff9 ever does. My opinion remember!
    Renzokuken

The road to a Lionheart

I thought we could have a solid discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of this game...I was wrong. In fact, this is easily the most idiotic thread I've seen in these forums so far. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Arguing about the tail the main character has is childish and pointless. How can you judge a game based on that? It's not even worth mentioning. Final Fantasy 7's characters were nothing but a few blocks of polygons thrown together and rarely do people complain about that 'round here. Heck, most characters looked kind of funny and/or colorful in every game up to and including Final Fantasy 7.

If you want to have my take on Final Fantasy 9, here it is:

Pros
    -the art direction is amazing; cutscenes and 2D backgrounds all look fantastic
    -good soundtrack overall (with some ups and downs)
    -characters that are at the very least creative and strange
    -well done English translation (the best Square has done so far)
    -plenty of fun if you can get into it (and that's what matters)
    -an ability system that takes a different approach from the previous Playstation games and makes a lot of sense

Cons
    -a few of the music tracks get on my nerves, especially the default battle theme
    -battles could go faster
    -rarely can you create your own party (especially in the first half of the game)
    -not enough mini games like the ones in FF7

if any one agrees with me in this war join our side and crush this terrible game into the ground where it belongs
    This sentence is so funny when you think adam 77 really meant this.

To be honest I think FF9 was mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDee
    Totally agree
    I like Kuja's hair but come on cover up
    i think the character design was the best of the lot (VII was close behind tho!)
    i mean...VIII they're all so simular to X! at least in IX they looked different!
    when fully animated zidane looked amazing! so cool! plus eiko looked so much better in the game then the concept art!
    IX forever!!!!!!!!

Trust No one

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: Perhaps Adam should learn a few things before actually bashing FFIX. Especially after he made a second account, who praised him for bashing the game. :rolleyes2

Rubedo: Adam, if you indeed think that FFIX stole ideas, and that it kept repeating the same thing, and that everything was the same, look at FFVII and VIII. The characters, with the exception of their attitudes, and Limit Breaks, were exactly the same as their attacks were based on the materia/magic that they attached to themselves. In FFIX, at least they each had their own skills.

Trowa: We also got a main character, who, after two sets of depressed macho-men, was more cheerful. His change in Pandemonium was great, and perfectly timed. The music was great too; I didn't have a problem with it at all *Sits and stares and sits and stares*

chaos: Also, I found the character design way better than the other FF's. They were all very different, in a realistic way. I especially liked Garnet's design. She was a strong female lead, and I am happy she acted the way she was in FFIX.

Rubedo: IMO, the game was great. Get some valid reasons before bashing it so much you declare it a "War".