Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To all you rap haters

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    I don't listen to rock, and if you think Classical is repetetive, I beg to differ. While many songs have certain themes, the variety of music in the classical genre is astounding. You cannot listen to Pachelbel's Canon in D and Mozart's Requiem and say they are the same, unlike many rap songs.
    I meant mainstream music. I agree that classical music requires the most "talent" to create, as I use to be an avid classical music fan, but nothing new that comes out is ever appealing. And eventually you get sick and tired of listening to the same thing again. So nothing new appeals, while the old gets boring. Not saying classical music is boring...but the fact that nothing new that sounds good ever comes out leaves it a very little fanbase.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    For the record, most bands have a DJ that generates music. So please, don't just put it on rap songs that have computer generated beats.
    That's true, but bands also use guitars and they are actually playing the instruments, whereas rappers are usually just speaking quickly.

All music is repetitve, not one single genre isn't. So saying rap is repetitive while others is not is just bias
    I'll agree that most mainstream music is repetitive. However, great music, from back in the day, wasn't repetitive. Listen to Iron Maiden and Metallica.

And for rap singing only one tune, what makes that different from rock bands? Has anyone ever heard Linkin Park live acoustically? Anyone ever heard Creed Live acoustically? Good Charlotte? Hoobastank? Yellowcard? Bowling For Soup? They ALL stink.
    I'll also agree that Linkin Park is godawful live, but Chester sounds great on their CDs. I've never heard Hoobastank or Creed live, but I've listened to a couple of their songs and they sound good singing. Also, the key word here is singing. Most, if not all, rap is usually just a bunch of meaningless speaking.

While most rap is probably about drugs, sex, and violence...what about rock music? It's mostly about how life sucks and suicide. Please. If you're going to bang on rap like that, you might as well rip other genres that you listen to.
    That's usually just punk and goth music, and that's why I hate that type of music. Creed and Hoobastank don't sing about crap like that, though.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on how most mainstream music, nowadays, is nothing short of atrocious. There are some decent/good bands out there, though, that stand out. These bands are usually the underdogs of music society.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hoobastank live makes me want to cry. They're atrocious live.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

a lot of punk is political

you're all stereotyping music genres guys
    there's good in every genre and there's crap in every genre

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I meant mainstream music. I agree that classical music requires the most "talent" to create, as I use to be an avid classical music fan, but nothing new that comes out is ever appealing. And eventually you get sick and tired of listening to the same thing again. So nothing new appeals, while the old gets boring. Not saying classical music is boring...but the fact that nothing new that sounds good ever comes out leaves it a very little fanbase.
    That's not necessarily true, there are newer Classical albums that are simply amazing. Most of them are fairly obscure, but they ARE out there.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think rapping takes a great deal more talent than singing, but I don't have a problem with people disliking it, for whatever the reason. None of my business what they like.

Don't use curese words here and you won't get that problem again, Dingo.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've yet to hear a Rap song that isn't some cheap beat over a cheap bassline played over and over for three and a half minutes. Music comes before the lyrics. Not that I fancy the "lyrics" most Rappers shout out.

Blog Entries

I mostly dislike rap except as most of you know Nas. I'll listen to Shyne, Puffy, 2pac, Biggie and a few others but for the most part I dislike rap. I HATE midwest rap. I <3 NY rap though. Wu tang, The QB and such. I really don't know why I like Nas more then any other rapper, I guess it's just because you can tell how he's grown through his 7 albums in the last 10 years. I <3 Nas http://www.iamnas.com/

I hate rap. I have legit reasons. I don't even really consider it music. People generally respond to a statement like this with, "Well, you're just not looking for good rap music." Well, I'm not about to search my life for good rap music, when there are other types of music that I enjoy 100 times more (country and folk) that are easy to find. My sister listens to the pop stations that play rap all the time, and it's just a bunch of crap. I don't want to listen to crap like that, talking about sex, drugs, and violence. There are easier ways to listen to good music that searching for it.

And can anyone blame me for not wanting to be near rap music? I deal with school everyday, walking to my car, getting a headache because of the bass coming out of people's car. The sound settings on my car are Treble 3, Bass -1. I can't deal with it.

If you listen to country and folk singers...listen to them play their instruments. They know what they're doing. They understand chord structure, and it's tasteful, in my opinion of course, an opinion not shared by many others. It's not too loud, a necessity in my opinion. Rap music is way too loud, and very little of it is actual <i>music</i>. Like Behold the Void said, listening to a classical piece like The Marriage of Figaro or his unfinished Requiem will show you what music is. Obviously country music does not get close to fulfilling the same type of musical requirements, but it's much closer than rap is.

There are always exceptions. There are exceptions in every music genre. I hate Pat Green, who is becoming more and more popular in the country music world. I don't like his voice or his song selection. His lyrics are dumb. However, there are plenty of other kinds of country music that come on that I do like. Rap, however, is a genre where it's too hard to find good music. I've never heard good rap music, and I'm not about to search for it. All of the rap I hear is not tasteful, too loud, and doesn't require any musical talent whatsoever. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to listen to it. And nobody can make me.

Furthermore, you can't ignore the issue of race. I'm sorry, but it exists. A middle class white male has absolutely no concern with listening to lyrics that don't apply to him. A lower class African-American male, however, can apparently relate to the lyrics. However, I can relate to Toby Keith's <I>Should've Been a Cowboy.</i> Though it seems dumb to some, I once had those same dreams of ropin', ridin', and wearin' my six shooter and ridin' my pony on a cattle drive, before I knew that there were very few cowboys left. That makes sense to me. That dream of being out in the open range appeals to me much more than being in the ghetto fighting for my life.

I hate rap music. I'm not afraid to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    IWell, I'm not about to search my life for good rap music, when there are other types of music that I enjoy 100 times more (country and folk) that are easy to find.
    yeay i'nm not the only one that likes folk!! tho i prefer irish and new english stuff (altan, whapweasel peeping tom!!)

well i really don't like rap. as mentioned before its all about sex violence and wanting to get some. plus R&B sucks too. all that singing...it sounds like their trying to kill a mongoose :nibbles:
    it seems to me that it is all the smae but i suppose your all thinking i'm sad listening to folk...but i don't care!! i like what i like and you like what you like.
    i'm listening to early Bowie right now!!! thats class music!

Trust No one

~Amriel the Archangel~ Dking'squeen's Avatar

I don't like most rap because some have absolutely NOTHING to say
    They're talking about some B!tch on the corber that they picked up and all this other CRAP that makes no sense.It's the ones that mean something that i like
    Lil Jon and teh east side boyz is an example. WTF?
    Some of Eminem's stuff is catchy and is all i listen to besides DMX. Violent, yeah, but some of thier stuff actually says something.
    And it makes it like all girls are beeyotches and nothing and...i'm done i just don't like it
    Even though everyone around me likes it and knows it and recites it like it's something out of the bible, i don't listen to it.
    It just doesn't appeal to me
    Thanks but no thanks
    *You know it's over, growing colder, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

*All we ever wanted, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

I hate rap and i'll tell you why. It doesn't sound good. Alot of the times, it's just damn irritating to listen to. Another reason would be the fact that main stream rap musicians don't write their own songs. If you don't write you're own songs, no matter what genre of music you play, you suck by default and I won't listen to you. Now let me talk about the "lyrics" in rap. They are pointless. (Usually. I do like some of eminem's stuff because he doesn't always sing about pointless bs) If you're gonna make music, don't waste it by singing about "bling" or "ice". Also, rap lyrics are violent and sexist. Im not going to listen to music where the rapper is singing about killing or beating someone up. I also refuse to listen to music where women are treated like objects. Women aren't objects, and they aren't sex tools. I can reinforce this point by asking, "Have you ever seen a rap music video?" This is why I hate rap music, and I think that I have reason enough to hate it.

Blog Entries

Rap.
    I don't see how one would willingly choose to listen to this genre of music,
    but I have absolutely NO rights to say that rap is bad.
    Let me explain why: rappers like all other artists work hard to get their message spread out,
    that being said; all who chooses to use their time entertaining people should automatically have our respect.

I can say that I don't like rap, but I have absolutely no right saying that rap is BAD.
    Who am I to say that rap is a bad genre of music?

Sorry guys it just doesn't cut it.

Chris.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't hate rap, yet I don't like it either. Most of the mainstream rappers nowadays suck very bad with their annoying lyrics. Does that mean all rap is bad? Of course not. You also have to appreciate the fact that rappers basically are talented poets.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

When ever Rye posts, i laugh.

I could only see that coming from a 14 year old girl.

First of all, Snoop and Pharrel must be doing something right. It was only like the #1 song in america.

"*insert repeating beat* *insert ebonics speaking person* *insert tongue clicking noises*"

Insert repeating beat - Hrmm, well almost every song has that. They use 3 or so different beats in this song however.

Insert ebonic speaking person - in this song, they arent really speaking ebonics much. even if there is an ebonic undertone, so what? Snoop is a gansta.

insert tounge clicking - Actually, this is very unique, and probally a big part in why it was a big hit. very catchy and different.

if that formula was that easy, i think there would be alot more rich people out there. these people are artists. not everyone could do what they do.

plus this song has some tight rhymes!!! Off his new album, R&G the Masterpiece, it isnt one of his best songs, but its not a bad song at all imo. Check out Pass it Pass it, Can you control yo hoe, the bidness, step yo game up, lets get blown and so many other great ones on there.