Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Hit Wonders: Predictions

Hoobastank is a poor imitation of Incubus. Who, going on the efforts of their last album, are a poor imitation of their former selves.

I think when we say that they're one hit wonders, it's not that they'll just have one hit sing, it's just they will only be popular for a year or so, then die out.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't understand. Most of these artists have been around for a LONG LONG time, and I've listened to them, in some cases I've listened to them a lot, before this year. And some of them have had hits before this year, including the Black Eyed Peas (back when they were, oh I don't know GOOD). So, are you talking artists who've had a hit album this year, who probably won't have a big hit again, or artists for whom this is their first and only hit anything forever?

Signature by rubah. I think.

Bands that Dingo doesn't want them to have more hits

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Clay Aiken had a hit? I don't listen to the radio but I didn't think anyone from American Idol actually got their stuff played on the radio. Either way he will be around. He is actually going to be doing work for the U.N. now for education. I forgot exactly what. His christmas album has sold really well also. I don't think he is going anywhere soon.

Also to be a one hit wonder you have to have a hit

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are NOT one hit wonders. They're awesome. And Ryan had TWO hits.
    I think you're referring to On The Way Down and True. When the complete Billboard list comes out for 2004, you'll see that On The Way Down was in the top 100...true was not.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    I don't understand. Most of these artists have been around for a LONG LONG time, and I've listened to them, in some cases I've listened to them a lot, before this year. And some of them have had hits before this year, including the Black Eyed Peas (back when they were, oh I don't know GOOD). So, are you talking artists who've had a hit album this year, who probably won't have a big hit again, or artists for whom this is their first and only hit anything forever?

In the most general term of one-hit wonders, these refer to people who have made Billboard 100 hits, the complete list should be later released this year. That's what I mean by one hit wonders. Doesn't matter if they've been around for 10 years or new this year. It also means that they'll never be heard from again. I mean have you ever heard from Train after Drops of Jupiter? My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomgaze
    Bands that Dingo doesn't want them to have more hits
    *beats*

Blog Entries

I doubt Kanye will fade as he's been a very famous producer for a while now.

Franz Ferdinand and The Killers have actually made it pretty big over here, or as big as a proper rock group can expect to nowadays. Depending on your definition of one-hit wonder, you could either be right about most of thsoe, or dead wrong.

With the exception of a select few popular artists/groups, all bands fade away eventually. Quite what you consider a 'hit' factors in as well. A few of those listed might fail on their second album, but I wouldn't consider them one-hit wonders in the singles chart.

Besides, Bowling For Soup had a (terrible) hit a year or two ago with Girl all the Bad Guys Want, since they've recently had mild success with 1985, they technically span a long enough period to be considered a mainstay band. :rolleyes2
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Regardless of wheather or not more than one of thier songs are on the Billboard charts, Black Eyed Peas and A Simple Plan are not one hit wonders. They've had several hits that've made their ways into pop culture, in years to come there will probably be more people who remember "Where is the Love", "I'll Do Anything", or just not remember those bands at all than those who remember songs that were on the Billboard charts after they've broken out, all of Simple Plan's hits were on their first album before "Welcome to my Life" I'm pretty sure "Let's get it started" is the Black Eyed Pea's first single from their second album once they've broken out, too. If a band breaks out and thier biggest hit is on their second album since, they're certainly not a one hit wonder no matter what the Billboard charts say.
    EDIT:
    Oh, actually. The Billboard Hot 100 charts already have 4 singles from BEP, 2 from Switchfoot, even Maroon 5 have had 3, Franz Ferdinand has had only one, Bowling for Soup have had two in their career of however long, Ciara's had 2 in her short carrer, Kanye West has walked with Jesus on his way to three hits, super-star Clay Aiken has had two hits, with many more to come I'm sad but sure to say, Gavin DeGraw, whoever he is, has had only 1 hit, the lovely Gwen Stefani has had 2 hits, even if you don't count the times she was pretty much the only one left in No Doubt, The Killers stll didn't kill enough people to get more than one hit on the charts, sadly, A Simple Plan actually has also had 4 hits, and finally Jesse McCartney only with one hit, on the Billboard Hot 100. For your one hit wonder predictions, Dingo Jellybean, you have scored a 31%, please try again next year.
    Last edited by MecaKane; 01-04-2005 at 09:18 PM.

Travis are still around, and are still reasonable big in the UK. I guess this topic is about Ameirca only then .

I think Maroon 5 will be sticking around for a while longer, espically if they manage to do an album which is as addictive as their current one (I'm ashamed to admit I like them :shame:. I shouldn't, but I do.). Franz Ferdinand I also think will be around for a while yet, or at least here they will.

I can see everything bar Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Kanye West and Black Eyed Peas on that list fading from existance, since those four are all very talented and all their songs have done well in charts.

The other reason being that I've heard of NONE of the named people on there, bar Gwen Stefani.

That and Simple Plan and Bowling for Soup are talentless idiots who, in my mind, don't REALLY exist.

Oh, and Maroon 5 are just plain whiny.

Kane, you moron. 28.5%.

EDIT: Also, nearly all of the mentioned artists have had hits in their own genres. And, for the record:

Train - 4 "hits"
    Jimi Hendrix - 0 "hits"
    Last edited by Doomgaze; 01-04-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomgaze
    Kane, you moron. 28.5%.

EDIT: Also, nearly all of the mentioned artists have had hits in their own genres. And, for the record:

Train - 4 "hits"
    Jimi Hendrix - 0 "hits"
    Actually, Train only had one hit. Hits, as I refer to them as, are songs that appear in the end of year Billboards Top 100. Drops of Jupiter was it. Only one of their songs made it into the Top 100 of the Billboard.

Jimi Hendrix did have hits, Purple Haze for instance. It's like I said, hits refer to Billboard Top 100. Getting on that top 100 list is what makes gives you that household name...for the year at least.

You're taking this entirely on assumption of one chart, in one country.

What about charts in other countries? Like, England for example, I'd certainly say you can't discount songs in the English chart since a lot of the music we get here is (mostly crappy) American junk.

again, Train had 4 singles on the Billboard Top 100. Jimi Hendrix had 0.