Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This stinks! Must be GAY!

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Default This stinks! Must be GAY!

Nothing pains me more than hearing someone actually use the word "gay" as a derogatory term. You don't agree with their lifestyle? Fine. Their sexuality contradicts with the sexuality your religion says is the right sexuality? Okay, terrific. But using "gay" as an actual derogatory term is stupid. Is it truly that hard for some people to find a better word to use? Bad? Crappy? Stupid? Idiotic? Useless? I mean seriously, 5 year olds... No, 3 year olds can come up with better words.

Some of the stupidest things I've heard last year(2004) had to do with people using "gay" to describe mishaps, things they dislike, and other negative things. Ex:
    "Man, this TV show is gay. It's so boring."
    "Aw, man, you guys like Full House? DAMN you're gay!"
    It's just so stupid how people use this word. What drives them to speak like this boggles my mind. I lose literally all respect for people that use "gay" or "homosexual" in this fassion.

Bah, just had to rant. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

no, I think it's stupid too. gay meant happy back in the day (then again, it still does, but not many people say it to mean that as far as I know)

there are so many better words to use for the same purpose.

Eh, no. It doesn't bother me. It's just a word with a twisted meaning that once had a good one. Ho hum.

Mr. Graves, you're so gay for not agreeing with me.

How did this usage of the word start, anyhow?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It really bothers me when people use "gay" as an insult or whatever.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Well, it's like a word beginning with n used to describe black people. Originally that was not an offensive term, it was just a word used to describe them, just as white or English could be used to describe me. Gradually, the attitudes behind this word began to change, as did the meaning of the word.

Same for gay. Used to mean gay people, now it has acquired negative connotations in the same way. Now it has two (three if you count happy) meanings and that's all there is to it.

Many other words now considered racist/homophobic/disablist all started out as regular words that meant no offence at all. Sadly it's the attitudes behind it that matter. If you ask me, no word in itself is offensive, just the attitude behind it.

(Yeah I did this at English Language last year and got an A in my AS levels for it )

Blog Entries

I use it. It's out of habbit and my peers around me using it. When I'm around friends that are gay I make sure I don't say anything like fag or queer or "that's gay" because I know it hurts them. I tried finding out how it became the way it is to no luck though. Most likely caem from the street culture wheres many words are changed around such as "nasty" meaning good and the such. I would love yo use other words instead of gay but, it's habit. I'm used to saying it.

I know someone who fits your description a hell of alot - in front of teachers or something he'll always go "aww man this question/topic is gay!" - and gets the same, dirty look all the time. Then he always has to explain to them that "he obviously isn't calling the question homosexual - its just annoying him". This seems to be EXACTLY the kind of translation people put it to today - By todays standards, "gay" = 'unhip', 'annoying' or generally 'not on'.

"Stop being gay!" - Stop annoying me
    "This is so gay" - I am so 'not' enjoying myself
    "This weather is gay" - It's not MY type of weather

I wonder how long it'll last.
    [center] I Painted My Own Mona Lisa
    She's Fixed Everything
    Now I'm Spoilt Beyond My Wildest Dreams
    [center]

It truly is quite disgusting, if you think about how the offensive nature of these words came to be. But the usage of the word "gay" in an offensive sense is far more out of hand than the usage of the n word(not trying to lower the extreme amount of offense that word brings). I've heard people use "gay" for stupid acts of violence to getting dirt on their shoes, whereas the n word is more under control. It's not everyday you hear someone calling a TV show the n word because it's boring. Heck, it's not everyday you, I'm hoping, hear the n word. Why, then, is the offensive use of "gay" accepted? They should be on the same level, or close to it.

It'll probably last until we have a homosexual dictator. :rolleyes2

Why should it offend anyone unless any of you'se are homosexual yourself ? Leave them to their own devices and let them fight their own battles.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    Mr. Graves, you're so gay for not agreeing with me.
    =O

*flaunts*?

Unless of coarse you mean something is gay because it is excessivly happy and peppy. Like "Omg, (insert lame thing) is so gay. They get exited over every little thing." But if homosexuals think they OWN the word gay, they are wrong.

Blog Entries

I hear the n word 4566570893509835 times a day But, that's because I know a lot of african americans

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not good to say. I'm not gonna say I hate it, because it's a habit of mine to say it even though I don't think being gay is anything wrong at all. I'm trying not to say it anymore. Everyone around me says it so it kinda seeped into my mind.

I know I say it, and I try not to but sometimes it pops out. If you say it at my school (this is gay, you're gay, etc), you can get suspended. I'm glad they did that, because a lot of kids are being harassed because of their sexual orientation.
    Mugwumps, hi-jumps, low slumps, big bumps