Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by seiyuimore
    Shivablizzard is right.

But things that made me curious is, who is Squall's support that time? Why he or she didn't stop the fight?

I have a funny idea that Seifer is squall's support for that time .. . But since Seifer is not SeeD and still student, he couldn't be the support for Squall right?

And where is Fuujin and Raijin? Aren't they Seifer's sidekick who always follow Seifer all the time? Why in the FMV, they are not seen?
    Which supports my "wasn't yet time to go to the cavern" theory. Seifer wanted some 'alone time'- and Squall never backs down- so they got it. Long story short: first FMV

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaBlizzard8
    I had always assumed that it happened on a plateau in the mountainous area around the Fire Cavern, because when Quistis asks Squall why he hadn't been to the Cavern yet, he thinks to himself "I was gonna go this morning, but then Seifer. . . " I got the impression that he was on his way to the Cavern, met Seifer coming out after having passed, and they got into an egotistical battle.

That, and the area 1) looks mountainous, and the only part of the Balamb continant that has mountains is near the Fire Cavern, and 2) because it is obviously outside, whereas the Training Center is contained inside so that the monsters don't escape.

Just my 2 cents.
    chaos: I have to agree with you there. I always thought the fight took place outside of Balamb Garden.

Well, one thing's for sure, the battle was outside Balamb Garden unless the Garden has clocking fields like Esthar that render that foggy place in the mountains. Also, the place looks a lot like that time warp place at the end. Now that place never actually existed right ? So what if what we're seeing at the beggining is actually what Squall remembers of his battle with Seifer ? Look at the sun and everything, they seem to show just how confused Squall is, and when we think about it, in the end it's the same thing: he's alone, lost and confused, just like he was on that very battle with Seifer. I really think the first FMW shows the battle through Squall's eyes..
    "I'll be alright..."
    "...Because I'm not alone"
    "If I scream out, they will answer"

Remember, in the end you are not alone. You will always have your friends, and as long as there is something to fight for, there is hope for redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by <LionHeart>
    Well, one thing's for sure, the battle was outside Balamb Garden unless the Garden has clocking fields like Esthar that render that foggy place in the mountains. Also, the place looks a lot like that time warp place at the end. Now that place never actually existed right ? So what if what we're seeing at the beggining is actually what Squall remembers of his battle with Seifer ? Look at the sun and everything, they seem to show just how confused Squall is, and when we think about it, in the end it's the same thing: he's alone, lost and confused, just like he was on that very battle with Seifer. I really think the first FMW shows the battle through Squall's eyes..
    but...then why would Squall be in the infirmary? and .....seriously none of the evidence fits! sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by My Mate Nats
    awww
    i love you matt
    you rock
    you always cheer me up
    you make me giggle
    oh...trout....i dont love you in that way

Mate your missing the point, when we see the first video, what if the battle already took place ? I mean think about it, FF8 is a really deep game at times and what if the first video actually shows the battle as he remembers it. The battle could have been anywhere, that's not the point, but maybe that's how Squall saw it.
    "I'll be alright..."

Remember, in the end you are not alone. You will always have your friends, and as long as there is something to fight for, there is hope for redemption.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Oh you mean its like a flashback of what happened, then he wakes up?

Maybe, I guess. . . but either way the actual fight happened right before Squall ended up in the infirmary - Dr. K says that he had a head injury that would leave a scar when he wakes up, and Quistis admonishes Seifer to be more careful when fighting fellow students. You could argue the FMV itself is Squall's recollection of the fight, but that doesn't change the timeline of when the real fight took place.

hhhmmm, makes a bit more sense now. coulda been Squall remebering the fight, but still-as ShivaBlizzard8 said the timeline of the fight is still the same.
    *sanity is restored*
    Quote Originally Posted by My Mate Nats
    awww
    i love you matt
    you rock
    you always cheer me up
    you make me giggle
    oh...trout....i dont love you in that way

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that the battle is the only 'real' part of the entire opening video. The rest is just clever foreshadowing (or forefriggin'tellingus) on square's part.

Like "Oh, here's this dude and this other dude. They're going to have a lot that'll happen to them. We were going to work in a nice rivalry over that girl with the feather we showed you earlier, but we didn't have time and forgot about it. But we were going to! that's all that matters, right chaps? Anyways, this guy's about to be knocked out any moment now, we'll let you run the show from here on out. Ta!"

Default yeah yur right.

the first FMV is only the opening of the game there is no specefic event and time. it's only want to make Squall start at the infirmary and meets quistis. also has a little connection with squall and his condition in the first sence.
    cLoud3

Cloud, do you think one of the guys at Square said: "oh, hey guys, today let's all do an opening movie for FF8. let's just put swords here and there..." :P Look, everything in FF is connected, whether it's a motion, a dialog or an entire flashback from one the characters, it's all connected. Besides, if the producers wanted it, they could have introduced Quistis in a different way, they didn't have to cut Squall's forehead open just so they can say: "Hey, this is Quistis"
    "I'll be alright..."

Alright, this is what I've always thought:

First of all, he wouldn't have been going to the Fire Cavern when he got into his brawl with Seifer because like so many people have said before, you need "support" for that place, and from the FMV, I think it's accepted that he was alone.

Second, I believe that he and Seifer were truly practicing and Seifer just took it too far. I think that Squall wanted a warm up with someone who would give him a good fight before he went to the Fire Cavern. I don't think they were such bad enemies that they didn't practice together.

Obviously this all took place outside nearby mountains somewhere close by Balamb Garden.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Just because you need support doesn't mean they have to walk there with you. I think its plausible that Squall was planning to meet his support person at the Cavern, and never quite got there. The support probably when searching for him when he didn't show up and took him to the infirary. Just a thought.

Ok, ok, there is no way to really know what happenned, I just like to think my way happenned because then I'd be right.

Also, everyone's assuming that Squall passes out and is taken to the infirmary by someone else. Squall's a tough guy, isn't it possible that he took himself there?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, there's also that he 'forgot' to go that morning, since he was 'training' with seifer. Or was it that he was intending to go, but seifer sidetracked him? But his support finding him doesn't sound likely, because it wouldn't be Quistis because she doesn't refer to waiting for him or finding him, does she? And why change supports?

Squall may be tough, but geeze, if you had your forehead sliced open, would you be in the best state of mind?

It's only a flesh wound.