Thread: Championship Manager (the curse of football)

Default Championship Manager (the curse of football)

The most addictive game that doesn't contain rude words or naked ladies, a text game where you must succeed as a forlorn manager at numerous football clubs. I'm a big fan and have spent 8 hours solid trying to get wimbeldon out of debt.
    What's you biggest achivement in the game, for me it's getting yeovil to win the champions leauge in 8 years, playing roma at home with my massive crowd of 12,000 just gave me a sense of pride. This may be a random thread but i'm feeling nostalgic for the game since it's currently uninstalled in a futile attempt to make me revise for my upcoming exams.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Depends which version you're on about. On Champ Man 01/02 I took Carlisle up to the Premiership having been cruelly sacked by Leeds. I did it in straight seasons. Survived by the skin of my teeth in my first season up. Sold my star player for 12 million and rebuilt the team signing two absolute legends. Clauidio Oerias and Rui Baiao. They cost 250,000 each. Claudio got more goals than games and Rui got more assists than games, and they helped me win the Premiership then the following season, Champions League. I signed Ronaldo aged 33 for £1 Million and by my 7th season with Carlisle I had won every possible trophy available in one year. I then moved on to Monaco in attempt to repeat the feat.

Champ 4 I took East Bengal to Asian Champions Cup, Champ 03/04 I took Brentford to the Premiership in straight seasons. Currently I'm seventh in the table with them and pushing for Europe.

I've never played the newer version for that long. Best I did was on the old '97/'98 version with Athletico Madrid. First season I won the Spanish Cup. Season after I won the league and UEFA Cup. Third season I did a league and cup double, and made the quater final's of the Champions League. Forth season I took the lot. League, Cup and Champions League. Also won the Spanish equvilant of the Community Shield, European Super Cup and the World Club Cup. At the start of the fifth season I decided to start another league.

I prefer the Total Clube Manager games by EA Sports. In the latest edition (2005), I got Brighton promoted to the Premiership. But I haven't got the patience to play managerial games for too long.

I once got Manchester United to win everything possible in one season, but when you're playing as the world's biggest club, it doesn't give you much sense of fullfilment.

prefer the Total Clube Manager games by EA Sports. In the latest edition (2005), I got Brighton promoted to the Premiership. But I haven't got the patience to play managerial games for too long.
    Then you picked the right game. Total Club Manager I found incredibly easy and basic. Not much of a challenge. Still not as easy as the Premier Manager 97 game. Winning the Premiership with Lincoln city in season 4 was pushing the boundaries of ridiculous.

I've won the Premiership/Champions League a few times, and managed to get Crewe, QPR and Leyton Orient into the Premiership on separate versions. My greatest achievement, though, has to be getting Scotland to a World Cup Final on CM97/98. Brian Kirkwood, I could kiss you.

Speaking of CM, have any of you bought Sports Interactive's latest effort, Football Manager 2005 yet? How is it?
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

it's good a little different then champ 4 but the mind games feature is fun.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

I've never even heard of this game, what's it for?

It's a Football Management Simulation. The best damn one money can buy, and the most likely to ruin any academical pursuits you once had aspirations to complete. If you haven't heard of it you have either lived in a cave with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears since 1992 or your American....

I wouldn't say it's neccesarily the best footie management sim. I quite like the Total Club Manager games by EA Sports, and LMA Manager. I can't choose between the 3.

At the moment I'm Yeovil on Total Club Manager 2005.

You mean you like the easy games.

I wouldn't say that Total Club Manager is that much easier.

On Champ manager 2001/2002 I won the title easily with United.

Well they are one of the best teams in the game. You'd expect to win the title with United. I would say Total Club Manager is easy, I found the whole game engine fairly basic and not much of a challenge even as Leyton Orient down in League Two. The new one is the best. Football Manager 2005 complete with afforementioned mind games!

I might buy it next weekend, on your advice.

Download the demo first. No point forking out £30 if you don't like it.