Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Ultimate Magic"?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Well, I tried out the whole magic level theory and...nothing, still the same low damage. Even when I maxed out everything (and I mean everything, HP and MP, Magic levels + experience, stats, weapon levels) and even de-equipped everything, it still did paltry damage. I'm beginning to think that there's some unknown value going on here, most likely something along the lines of no. of enemies killed, no of times magic used in battle etc. This might explain why Ryu seemed to get high damage Ultima through spell levels. It wasn't the spell levels that were the factor but the amount of times he used magic.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I thought about that and used codes to instantly have every spell shoot up from Level 1 to Level 16 in a single fight. Ultima still worked wonders.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Therein might lie the difference. I was using an editor to affect my character's stats at the very start of the game. So I had all the level 16 spells before I even began. Was this the NES version you tested this in, as that's what I've been using so far.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Wait, that could be it. I remember that the changed the level-up stuff in Dawn of Souls. I took that NOTE directly from a walktrough of Dawn of Souls. I will dive into the archives to see if I can find anything about the other versions.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

The Ultimate Truth About ULTIMA

We have been confused all this time! You know that Ultima is supposed to be the emperor's worst damn nightmare... And of course it is, we understood everything wrong!! Listen, Ultima IS supposed to be the greatest dung in the entire universe! That's why it is! When you are told that it is the emperor's doom, it doesn't mean that you have to use it against it. Of course not, it is pretty useless! PEOPLE WAS SUPPOOSED TO TRICK HIM AND GIVE THE TOME TO THE EMPEROR AS A GIFT SO HE WOULD THINK THAT IT WAS COOL (JUST AS ALL OF US THOUGHT). Later, he was suppoosed to to use it against the world and, right, nothing significant would happen. That is when he gets extremely frustrated (as I am when I see my level 13 Ultima do nothing) and commit suicide by jumping from his castle into the storm (or letting himself drop down from his throne in heaven to his throne in hell). Stop worrying about making it work, it is not supposed to work.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

We have been confused all this time! You know that Ultima is supposed to be the emperor's worst damn nightmare... And of course it is, we understood everything wrong!! Listen, Ultima IS supposed to be the greatest dung in the entire universe! That's why it is! When you are told that it is the emperor's doom, it doesn't mean that you have to use it against it. Of course not, it is pretty useless! PEOPLE WAS SUPPOOSED TO TRICK HIM AND GIVE THE TOME TO THE EMPEROR AS A GIFT SO HE WOULD THINK THAT IT WAS COOL (JUST AS ALL OF US THOUGHT). Later, he was suppoosed to to use it against the world and, right, nothing significant would happen. That is when he gets extremely frustrated (as I am when I see my level 13 Ultima do nothing) and commit suicide by jumping from his castle into the storm (or letting himself drop down from his throne in heaven to his throne in hell). Stop worrying about making it work, it is not supposed to work.
    Well, it's the best theory I've heard. Too bad it worked on the wrong people.

There is clearly a lot of confusion about Ultima. It is a white magic spell, but the only significance of that is that it can raise your Spirit (and sometimes lower the corresponding stat) when it is cast frequently. As to how its damage is calculated, no one seems to really be sure.
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 08-29-2005 at 01:27 PM.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

PHWOARRRRRR!!!!!!

Weird discovery! After attempting to get Leon the bumbling oaf to use the spell (and then thinking better of it and making him sword man) in DoS I found the spell as unimpressive as all yous guys. Then I gave it to Minwu in Soul of Rebirth, and it DID MORE DAMAGE THAN FLARE WHILE AT A LOWER LEVEL!!!!!!!!

Something is DEFINITELY unusual about this spell...

I gave ultima to Firion. Is it possible to give it to Ricard to use it in SoR? I wanna try that when I start a new file. I gave Ricard the Flare that I found so he could use it in SoR. I heard there was a secret shop that sold Flares in, I think Jade Passage? Where is it, and is it accesible in the main story?

(SPOILER)There's a man under the waterfall in the jade passage. He's on the lowest level up against the wall. Just walk behind the waterfall and you'll bump into him. He does sell Flare and Holy, but not Ultima. You don't have to do anything special to get him to appear or anything, he's just hidden behind the waterfall.

In SoR you can find him in the exact same place. I think he might not sell Holy this time around though.

thanks. Hey, will a Lv. 16 ultima do as much as it would if your spells were maxed out if it was the only spell you have? Like, if you had the person you gave it to forget all of his/her other magics?

Something is DEFINITELY unusual about this spell...
    Yeah, no kidding.It did decent damage when I gave it to Minwu on SoR on my game, but still was a poor second to Holy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    (SPOILER)There's a man under the waterfall in the jade passage. He's on the lowest level up against the wall. Just walk behind the waterfall and you'll bump into him. He does sell Flare and Holy, but not Ultima. You don't have to do anything special to get him to appear or anything, he's just hidden behind the waterfall.

In SoR you can find him in the exact same place. I think he might not sell Holy this time around though.
    How do you know it's a man? Maybe it's a beaver (like the ones seen before)? Or one of those masked fellows?
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Way to stay on topic, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara
    Yeah, no kidding.It did decent damage when I gave it to Minwu on SoR on my game, but still was a poor second to Holy.
    In my game it did more damage than flare, which means it did WAY more than holy... I have no idea what could account for that, I barely levelled up any of Minwu's spells, and the ones I did were at level 6 or lower (except cure which was at level 8, but that's it). Even through all that, it STILL did more damage at level 4 than flare did at level 6.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

In my game it did more damage than flare, which means it did WAY more than holy...
    In my game, with Minwu with Holy, and Scott with Flare, Holy did slightly more damage. (same levels)