Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy. The new Coke?

Blog Entries

Default Final Fantasy. The new Coke?

'Final Fantasy.' Words that are now seen so often that they are becoming a household phrase, suggesting quality, a moving storyline, top of the line graphics and endless hours of fun...

I'm sure you all know that the words 'Final Fantasy' can be plastered to the front of anything and it gains instant cred. Games that would have easily held their own ground like FF Tactics got that additional boost in sales just because of two simple words.

But I've been thinking lately. Do the words 'Final Fantasy' really impact on the consumer? Does it really make them want to buy it? I've been thinking..maybe it's the opposite effect...

- Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within may have not copped so much flak if it was just called "The Spirits Within." After all, people's main concern was that it was 'nothing like a Final Fantasy game at all'
    - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus. Games that are leeching off the mainstream title, 'Final Fantasy VII.' These games/movie have been subjected to a lot of criticism because of the 'leeching/milking' of profits.

What I'm saying is this. A certain level of quality is expected when 'Final Fantasy' is seen on anything. We know the TSW didn't live up to expectations. Was it because the consumer expected ever so much more?

Another example. Let's say Square-Enix had named 'Full Metal Alchemist', 'Final Fantasy: Full Metal Alchemist'. Would your opinion of it change? If so, for the better or for the worse? Think about that.

Discuss.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I woulda thought "wow, Square must REALLY be in financial trouble if they have to keep whoring out the title of their flagship series."

I never played theat Alchemist game, but if it WAS called FF:FMA I'm sure I'd own it. You are right. Naming something Final Fantasy boosts sales because of a certain quality the games had. And anyone who didn't like FF:TSW can blow chunks because they aren't true FF fans.

TSW should be watched with the same regard as playing a FF game for the firsr time. Its separate from each other one (even FFX-2 is better if you stop comparing it to its predecessor) and in its own right is great. If people expected there to be lots of magic and bahamut then they are mistaken. That is not what FF is about. Final Fantasy is a series about each planets final fight to save itself from destruction. In the case of FFX-2, its a 2 part story. Each one with a separate threat.

Back on topic now, Yes FF is a house hold video game name and a standard for excellence. When I'm telling my friends aboout a new RPG their question is "Is it better than FF7?" And continually I usually say no, but its not a FF so please don't compare. But its a must now after 11+ great titles. I'm guilty of it too. When my friend in high school was telling me about the suikoden series I asked what FF elements it had. FF is the standard for RPGs and theres nothing any other series can do. Even Chrono Trigger/Cross was compared and failed (well, not Trigger as much. Thats the only other RPG series on par with FF. Personally I feel theres 2 more, but thats totally MY opinion not the popular one).

Does it deter standard at all? No, it only allows for further failure. If FF7oC comes out and isn't remotely as good as 7 was, yes it will be criticized and fail miserably. Thats the chance Square ie taking and they know the risks. That's why I'm sure it will be a great game. FF8 took a LOT of heat because it by far wasn't as good as 7 and people expected a game on par with 7. Did that mean 8 sucked? Many people on here will say heck no. I think it was a great game, but it wan't as good as most other FF games.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You have to remember, not everyone has heard of final fantasy.

At my school, I'd say there were less than 1/3 that had heard of it, maybe about less than 1/6.

but on that small percentage, it does have a big impact It draws attention to it, where otherwise people might just skip over whatever it pertained to.

(of course I'm sure it has adverse affects on people. There are people that will try to completely ignore anything that has to do with it)

nowhere near as big as Coke though. not yet.

for that to happen all video games will have to be called final fantasies, and that's a long way from happening

"get me a coke, hand me a kleenex, I drive a gmc, can I rent one of those final fantasies?"

(it's sorta like cars, there's too many big players. that's why I added that example too.)

True, not as big as coke, but when dealing Role Playing Video Games, if you like them you are familiar with FF. FF is the standard in Roleplaying VGs.

Blog Entries

I thought you meant cocaine.

I thought you meant cocaine.
    If we're talking about Final Fantasy XI, this is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCydranth
    FF8 took a LOT of heat because it by far wasn't as good as 7 and people expected a game on par with 7. Did that mean 8 sucked? Many people on here will say heck no. I think it was a great game, but it wan't as good as most other FF games.
    you cant say that. They are completely different games and one cannot be better than the other. It is possible on the other hand to have a favorite one of course. And personally i LIKED (not 'is better' or 'is the best') ff8 more than 7.

Okay.. Dont be dumb. The overall majority of people who played both Final Fantasy 7 and 8 claim 7 was the better game. The popular thought is what I was referring to. 8 is a decent game but its no 7, and more people will back me up than those who like 8. And since the popular thought of 8 was less great than that of 7 the credibility of FF went down. Wether or not 8 truly is better or not is meaningless. The fact that more people dislike 8 than 7 is what decides a games greatness overall. If square did a poll of all of its FF games and the vote came back that FF9 was the favorite, then it would be known as the best FF game.

Final Fantasy 8 in comparison to 7 was a failure. Sales, fanbase and polpularity are nowhere near 7's level. Thus in a business aspect 7 was the better game. And to Square that is what matters. If 8 was the better why is 7 getting a sequel and 8 not? Why are there 15 people named sephiroth on each forum site, even those not related to VGs whatsoever. Because 7 is the more popular and better game. Your personal opinion of the game means nothing when it comes down to the overall popularity and sale numbers.

Why is 7 getting a sequel? Because it was left open for one thats why. 8 was completed in one go. Y'know its people like you who really annoy me with their stupidity......the games arnt connected (eccept X and X-2) so cannot be 'better' then each other. Just because more people like 7 then 8 dosnt mean its better. Im a firm believer that in most cases the first final fantasy you play usually ends up being your fav or definatly close to your fav and since 7 introduced many people to FF thats the reason why 7 has more fans. Personally my FAVORITES (not betters ore whatever) goes in this order, best to not so best: VIII,IX,X,VI,VII,IV.

RedCydranth I share Slade's opinion. How can you say that because it sold more/was more popular that is better? If that was the case then the latest EA sports games must be God's gift to gaming. And how dare you tell HIM not to be dumb when he was only saying that he personally preferred FF8. It's not like he was arguing with you about FF7's sales/popularity.

Yes, you are CORRECT about FF7 being more popular but that does not mean that you are "dumb" if it is not your personal favourite.

Blog Entries

Anyone who's heard of FF around here thinks it's brilliant. To everyone else, it's 'gay'.

there was a picture here

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Final Fantasy series is good, but other RPG series are equally good.

Example 1: Xenogears, which I enjoyed even more than any other Final Fantasy game with the possible exception of Final Fantasy Tactics. Xenosaga is also good, and I have high hopes for the rest of the series.

Example 2: Dragon Warrior/Quest series, a great series and especially popular in Japan, where, as I understand it, the government regulates the release dates so as to not have them coincide with school days.

Final Fantasy isn't the ONLY good RPG out there, but it does have quite a bit of clout.

The first FF I played was 6. That one wasn't my favorite. Then I played 1, Again, not my favorite. So your "the first one you play is your favorite" theory is gone. I'm not saying you are dumb for liking 8. If you took time to read my statements and opened your mind a little and quit thinking you must be right then you might understand what I am saying.

I'll try and clarify. To SQUARE FF7 was a smashing success. 8 was a failure. The general opinion of 8 is lower than 7 so in general 7 is better than 8. Nowhere did I say you can not like 8 or that it is a bad game. I said it was a failure. So was FF:TSW in theaters, doesn't mean the movie sucked, but in general people didn't take to it. See?

About 8 being "closed" and 7 being "open" I think FFX was closed too. But they managed a sequel out of that, primarily because X was a success, NOT because storyline allowed a sequel. Same with 7. If 8 was a success, We'd be seeing more FF8.

FF8 is the ONLY FF game to do poorly in sales and have a huge following. It is an anomoly amongst VGs. BoF5 (another RPG failure) has no following.
    You bring good point that FF isn't the only good RPG series, however it is the series all other RPGs are compared to. Wether they (other companies) like it or not FF is the biggest name is RPGs and all RPGs will be compared in one way or another to it.

Breath of Fire was a great series. 1-4 were great. 5, not so much, but the series is cool.
    Suikoden is another series that I hold dear. There is 3 out now and 4 is in the works.
    Xenosaga I ruled. Can't wait for 2.
    Shining Force, an old Genesis series was IMO one of the best RPGs ever. there was SF 1 and 2 for Genesis, Another for gama Gear, Another for Sega Saturn and SF3 was on Sega CD. A re-release of 1 came out last year for game Boy Advance, but the dumbed up the game by adding 3 new characters and cards. 2 of the new characters are decent because they actually progress storyline and help, the other ruins the game completely... Anyhow SF is a great series.

Final Fantasy is the premier in RPGs and will be for some time.
    Last edited by RedCydranth; 01-11-2005 at 05:26 PM.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

I'll try and clarify. To SQUARE FF7 was a smashing success. 8 was a failure. The general opinion of 8 is lower than 7 so in general 7 is better than 8. Nowhere did I say you can not like 8 or that it is a bad game. I said it was a failure. So was FF:TSW in theaters, doesn't mean the movie sucked, but in general people didn't take to it. See?
    I understand what you mean now RedCydranth! It was just a bit unclear to me what you were saying before. I thought you were saying he was "dumb" for not thinking that FF7 was a better game than FF8.
    you cant say that. They are completely different games and one cannot be better than the other. It is possible on the other hand to have a favorite one of course. And personally i LIKED (not 'is better' or 'is the best') ff8 more than 7.
    Okay.. Dont be dumb.
    I realize now that I may have jumped the gun a bit. From reading the posts again I realize you were just arguing that IN GENERAL, more people prefer FF7 so IN GENERAL it is considered better. Again I apoligise for my misunderstanding.
    and quit thinking you must be right
    I never think I must be right! If I did I wouldn't be apoligising for my mistake!

Peace