Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would Your Ultimate Weapon Be?

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr
    1. See the post above you.
    Spears? What's that have to do with anything?

2. I threw a knife at a tree once to try and learn to throw knoves. (SPOILER)It bounced back at me and I almost got it in the neck. I guess I'm a kick-ass knife thrower, but I don't want to kill the wrong person. Namely me.
    Congrats, you can't effectivally throw knives. No offense or anything, but just cause you can't do it doesn't mean it's bad/ineffective.

3. A spear theough the torso stops anyone, and sword, an axe, or a stray cat through the heart stops anyone, a club through the skull stops anything, and a whipping in the toes really hurts.
    True, never argued that.

4. Knives are for cowards who have no confidence in their martial skill or they're for untrained and unambitious losers who don't belong in a fight situation.
    Hey, just cause, if given the chance, I'd like to silently kill my enemies before they know I'm there doesn't mean I'm a coward. Means I use my brains. If you want someone to use as reference, try Garret from Theif: Deadly Shadows.

I've never seen anybody use a knife for fighting unless their opponent was unarmed (Coward! Wuss!)
    Apparently you havn't seen a lot.

I use knives, but only to cut nonliving objects which cannot be opened by any other more simple means.
    Cutting with a knife is pretty simple.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

~Amriel the Archangel~ Dking'squeen's Avatar

I've never seen anybody use a knife for fighting unless their opponent was unarmed (Coward! Wuss!)
    Ever see Princess Mononoke? *not sure whether it was a dagger or knife but the two are similar so it doesn't matter*

And not all KNIVES are used by cowards. If you throw knives accurately, you're skilled and have acute aim. If you attack your enemies head on, it forces you to be swift and cunning.
    Just because someone attacks another before they can see means that that person needs to be more aware and plus, who wants to give your opponent a chance to kill you?
    *You know it's over, growing colder, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

*All we ever wanted, I need something, leads me next to nothing...*

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Usually using your fingers to open a bag of chips is simpler than cutting them open with a knife.

Same goes for pulling a jewelry box open, or perhaps taking a dvd out of its case.

so are u saying that you rather use your hands?

Blog Entries

DPC, you're attacking me and neglecting to defend yourself.

I'm attesting to a supposed inappropriateness of knives as a casual or even honorable weapon.
    If you have nothing to say in it's defense except that my inability may be a reason for my dislike of the weapon, then I am forced to reveal 2 things.

1. I love guitars, yet, for the life of me I can't get the hang of using one.

And 2. Pertaining to your own decent argument about killing your enemies with knives to avoid contest - That only assists me. If brains invented dishonorable conduct in battle, then the wise may keep to their books until they invent a weapon of peace! I don't care about your life, and if you think that it is so valuable, then you have no business fighting. You may as well run away as use a knife if you have no intention of committing yourself to the art of war.

And Miss Squeen, I do hope that you can save yourself from a thrown knife by your own awareness. Otherwise, your argument is sort of dumb.
    On the other note, we are comparing weapons. Ya know, for fighting. Not for killing. Would you really want to carry a weapon around with intent to kill and not to combat? You sound like a murderer.

Yuffie: Than a knife? Yes I'd rather use my hands. Of course! Wouldn't you?

Smile

The word is Zanmato! Oh and the weapon I would have would be a rust knife soon to be stained red.
    :magus:

Okay, Mr. Knives suck, lets see you with your katana take on an experienced knife thrower. I'd bet $20.00 (because thats what your life is worth, j/k) youd lose before you could draw your blade.

Pros to knives:

Allows for agility
    Just as sharp as any sword
    Can be thrown with ease
    Can be hidden easier than any other weapon, even guns.
    Minimal training neccessary to use (non throwing)
    One handed allowing for wielding of 2 or open hand.

Cons to knives:

Poor length

Pros to swords:

Length allows for defensive maneuvering
    weight (bastard style, not katana) causes deeper gashes with slices
    Hard of get near while properly weilding

Cons to swords:

Must unsheath
    Must have adequate training to properly wield
    Has no projectile (Gunblades are not real!!!)
    Can't hide a sword (Try walking through Wal*Mart with one, aint happening bucko)
    Must use 2 hands to properly use (this is debatable for foil style swords, aka fencing and cutlasses)

Both aren't bad weapons for fighting. But Knives are very advantageous.

I still prefer guns. In a 3 way fight, I'd take you both out before you knew whats coming. Only downside to guns is reloading and carrying ammo.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

I love knifes especially throwing. *Drools over rusty knives*
    :magus:

DPC, you're attacking me and neglecting to defend yourself.
    I did not see myself as attacking you, merely coutering your arguments as to why a knife is an ineffective weapon, some of which made little to no sense to me.

I'm attesting to a supposed inappropriateness of knives as a casual or even honorable weapon.
    Honorable is such a broad word. No person knows what it emans, as it is different in each persons mind. Islams who commit Jihad think that what they are doing is honorable, even if it is driving a car bomb on a suicide mission. Don't tell me what is an honorable, as it would be from your opinion.

If you have nothing to say in it's defense except that my inability may be a reason for my dislike of the weapon, then I am forced to reveal 2 things.
    I only "defended" it against what you said. If you would like to bring up more arguments, than I will answer those.

And 2. Pertaining to your own decent argument about killing your enemies with knives to avoid contest - That only assists me. If brains invented dishonorable conduct in battle, then the wise may keep to their books until they invent a weapon of peace! I don't care about your life, and if you think that it is so valuable, then you have no business fighting. You may as well run away as use a knife if you have no intention of committing yourself to the art of war.
    When was this about the "art of war"? If I recall, it was "What is your Ultimate Weapon?" It didn't say "What weapon would you use in actual combat" or something of that. I am a person who likes to avoid conflict if possible, put if needed will go ahead with it. However, I won't just face them head on, I'll try and think of a way around the solution. If someone wants to kill me and the only way to stop them is killing them, what would you rather do? Go head to head and possible die an "honorable" death, or just eliminate them without them knowing it? I like the path of least resistance, personally.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Blog Entries

I like falchions, but if I were to engage on a real battlefield of knives an swords, I'd be carrying a club. A shelieghleigh (Or however it's spelled), for verbal style.

Pros to knives:

Allows for agility
    Can be thrown with ease

Cons to knives:

Poor length (This is a dang big con. You conveniently leave out the face that a dude with a knife, on fair grounds, would have a tremendous amount of difficulty getting at a swordsman or anybody else. Not to mention that "little or no training" is a con. A swordsman, therefore trained, should be able to dispatch any untrained knife wielder with ease. And, in order to keep the pro, that would mean "most" knife fighters.)

Pros to Clubs:

Length allows for defensive maneuvering (still)
    Weight causes deeper gashes (not with slices), and it does as much internal damage with devastating blows as a blade can, minus the hardly relevant fact that a man properly clubbed in the stomach will be helpless and wailing in living agony instead of gored or chopped dead.
    Hard of get near while properly weilding (still, esp when concerning knives.)
    Added Pros:
    Can pass at a bat if you play your cards right (I mean, metal baseball bats suck. Wood forever!) So it is almost as easily concealed.
    Requires little or no training to use, when things come to a pinch
    Always handy!

Cons to Clubs:
    Maybe hard to conceal if it can't be presented as a baseball bat, and still hard to bring everywhere.
    Lack of agility with use
    Very difficult to kill in one hit (a hardy opponent might be able to disregard the blows long enough to attack, or so I imagine. I once walked throuhg a flurry of punches from my karate foe and brained him so hard with my fist that he didn't get up for 5 minutes.)
    No projectile (I guess not. Unless you're carrying baseballs too)
    Probably requires 2 hands (Swords don't necessarily require 2 hands. A giant falchion would, maybe, but not a normal falchion. And a normal one works like a sword as well as a mace. I never said that I cared for the katana. Katana's are modern pop culture)

I guess I might not like a wooden bat against a sword, but we're arguing against knives on a usefulness level here.

I guess that bats still have more cons to pros comparatively, but the severity of cons makes for a fairly even match if not one favoring bats and swords, in my personal opinion.

DPC: Let's drop it. I think we're on 2 different planes of discussion. Also, you have a forum debating style that I hate. The "pick out sentences and counter them with disregard for the overall topic until it comes in handy" irks me. If you want, you win.

DPC: Let's drop it. I think we're on 2 different planes of discussion. Also, you have a forum debating style that I hate. The "pick out sentences and counter them with disregard for the overall topic until it comes in handy" irks me. If you want, you win.
    Whatever you want. Just don't let it become a personal thing. Simply different views. Sorry if I angered you with my "debate style".

EDIT: Forgot guns as a weapon. Okay, "Ultimate weapon" is now a silenced Colt .45. Knife is still favorite blade weapon.
    Last edited by Rase; 01-13-2005 at 06:22 AM.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Okay.. Clubs are decent weapons too, but are you saying you with a wooden baseball bat can beat me with a butcher's knife? This comes down to a test of agility and swinging the bat throws off your balance enough for any knife weilder to slash your throat. I don't care how you swing the bat, its a lot more dodgeable than me leaping on you with a drawn knife mercilessly stabbing you and slashing your organs.

Sure, I might take a hit to the leg or something (which isn't easily shirked off by anymeans), but lets see you walk away when while you clubbed my knee I slit your throat. Theres a reason knights carried blades, samurai and ninjas carry blades. Because a blunt object can not dispatch an enemy as quick as a sharp blade. Blades are lighter than lunky wooden clubs.

It would all be about who got the first hit, so really its hard to tell who would win.

Oh, another drawback to clubs is they can be stopped midswing. A skilled fighter can easily grab a bat midswing. If you swing too hard for him to catch it you are violently throwing your weight around allowing for numerous openings to counter.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yazoo'squeen
    who wants to give your opponent a chance to kill you?
    I know it may sound patetic but I would actually do that if I was fighting someone who's not a stabber himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCydranth
    Okay, Mr. Knives suck, lets see you with your katana take on an experienced knife thrower. I'd bet $20.00 (because thats what your life is worth, j/k) youd lose before you could draw your blade.

Pros to knives:

Allows for agility
    Can be thrown with ease

Cons to knives:

Poor length

Pros to swords:

Length allows for defensive maneuvering
    weight (bastard style, not katana) causes deeper gashes with slices
    Hard of get near while properly weilding

Cons to swords:

Must unsheath
    Must have adequate training to properly wield
    Has no projectile (Gunblades are not real!!!)
    Can't hide a sword (Try walking through Wal*Mart with one, aint happening bucko)
    Must use 2 hands to properly use (this is debatable for foil style swords, aka fencing and cutlasses)

Both aren't bad weapons for fighting. But Knives are very advantageous.

I still prefer guns. In a 3 way fight, I'd take you both out before you knew whats coming. Only downside to guns is reloading and carrying ammo.
    First of all... katanas are very weak kind of swords. And what if the knife-guy would miss? Then he's completely unarmoured and defenseless!
    And second... I hate guns. They are the most cowardly existing weapon and I would never use one.
    In a 1 VS 1 battle, the sword-guy would be the one with advantage. And why would you like to "hide" your weapon in a open battle?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCydranth
    Okay.. Clubs are decent weapons too, but are you saying you with a wooden baseball bat can beat me with a butcher's knife? This comes down to a test of agility and swinging the bat throws off your balance enough for any knife weilder to slash your throat. I don't care how you swing the bat, its a lot more dodgeable than me leaping on you with a drawn knife mercilessly stabbing you and slashing your organs.

Sure, I might take a hit to the leg or something (which isn't easily shirked off by anymeans), but lets see you walk away when while you clubbed my knee I slit your throat. Theres a reason knights carried blades, samurai and ninjas carry blades. Because a blunt object can not dispatch an enemy as quick as a sharp blade. Blades are lighter than lunky wooden clubs.
    How would you be able to stand up and fight if your legs where broken? And yes... he would be able to win the battle without too much trouble.

It's all about the skill a person has which determains wether or not he loses in a battle.

Luck too can't forget about that...

But it is unfair to say which weapon is better 'cos all hace pros and cons. Always remember any weapon can be stealthy. You can sneak up behind someone and club 'em or slit a adam's apple.

Clubs-well pretty cool, really strong, can have only one though, slow

Swords-cool too, sharp, piercing, can duel 'em as long as they're light, can go with a shield, can be a shield in itself, only 2 at most, doesn't do well when oppent is in your face

Kinves-also coll, (can do little cool trick's ) can have a bunch, can be trown, do very well in brawls (Don't know if that's very nice of a person to do though when it's suppose to be hand to hand), can miss when trown, person can have full-plated armor so you would have to try and stab him in the face or the side or somethin

Guns-not as cool, Can baically kill a guy with a sword, kinfe, and club, range is good, can miss, and can run out of bullets, and reload

Somethin I haven't heard yet but will still put up

Bow's and arrows-sorta kinda cool, Can kill from far range, can carry a sword with one, run out of arrows, and shootin every arrow can be tough

Fists-real cool when you know what you are doin, can be very powerful when you have trained for many years, can be diverse and change as the battle does, takes trainin for many years, can be cut in half by like a sword or somethin in midair lol, Can bust your hand up on some armor (which who has now and days?)

I'm I forgettin anythin....
    Last edited by Tama2; 01-13-2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: opps
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tama2
    It's all about the skill a person has which determains wether or not he loses in a battle.
    That... and how well he knows his battlefield + luck can also change whenever you'll live or die.
    But skill is by far the most important part. Oh, and just 1 more comment on the knife trowing... you can also trow a rock... or a spear... actually... you can trow almost anything that's not too heavy and still able to inflict dammage.
    You can kill with a trown rock... don't forget that.