Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would Your Ultimate Weapon Be?

First of all... katanas are very weak kind of swords
    Not true. Katana are possibly the best swords in the world - adamantine strength , perfect balance and sheer cutting power , the results of the labours of old Japan's master swordsmiths.

For the sake of discretion , I'd carry a Shirasaya ( that's a katana that can be concealed within a hollow length of wood to look like a stout cane. )

true you can throw a lot of things. But knives have a better chance at killin someone if it stabs 'em in the face than a rock hitting them in the face.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tama2
    true you can throw a lot of things. But knives have a better chance at killin someone if it stabs 'em in the face than a rock hitting them in the face.
    Tell that to Goliath.

With enough skill, a good swordsman can block any non-magical projectile attack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy the Clown
    With enough skill, a good swordsman can block any non-magical projectile attack.
    I've never been attacked by a magical projectile, nor have you, so you can't really testify to that.
    In theory, I could claim that, with skill, a sword could block any projectile that isn't overpoweringly large (A boulder), fast (A Bullet), or dangerous in another fashion (Missile/Steaming Tar)

And suddenly, it has come to my attention that missiles are probably the most superior weapons.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Man, we have entered the realm of crazy dorkdom here, lol.

Anywho, you guy's are looking at knives in general, why don't you get specific about what you're talking about so you can have a decent conversation. you talking about an eight inch stilleto style? 4 inch switchblade? little 3 inch flicker knife? what about a carving knife style, 14 inch?

In a given fight, i'd almost always choose a long knife. I have a few of these 14 inch, steel, fairly thick knives at work. They are cut carving knife style, got a nice solid weight to em, about a 12 - 14 inch blade, with a curved pointed tip. Those two would be my weapons of choice. with a knife that size, held down (Zidane/Thief style) and that weight, you could offer a decent block to a sword or staff, and they've got a good length to be used in any manner.

Also, with a knife (especially of good size and with a comfortable non specific grip Ie:not molded to individual fingers) you really have four positions to use it in, offering a number of different attack styles, and thats not including throwing.

for the record, i do make sure to keep at least one knife on me at all times. I don't start fights, I don't agree to fights. If someone wants to try to jump me after i've made it quite clear i don't play the violence game, they will regret it, whether they win or not. Does that make me a coward?

Quote Originally Posted by SocietyzAntidote
    why don't you get specific about what you're talking about so you can have a decent conversation.
    Well, I was talking about knives in general, but if you'd like me choose one, here. 12 inch double-edged basic style (no fancy designs) balanced knife with a crosshilt, black leather handle for hand-to-hand fighting.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr
    I've never been attacked by a magical projectile, nor have you, so you can't really testify to that.
    No, but I have watched some of the Highlander movies.

You mean the movies were you obtain power by cutting off your oppents head. THen you get electricuted. Then all the windows around you shatter. (Which you are usally in a werehouse or some big empty place). Your right. lol
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

Post ...

Swords-cool too, sharp, piercing, can duel 'em as long as they're light, can go with a shield, can be a shield in itself, only 2 at most, doesn't do well when oppent is in your face
    one thing you forgot...you could possibly weild 3 swords. Meaning, you could hold one in your mouth-If it were light enough!

Pros to Buster sword-
    Can cut through mostly anything,
    if not it could REALLY mess someone up.
    With enough skills at hand to hand combat under your belt-can preform really powerful,possibly lethal, and just plain cool chain-combos(excuse me for using a fighting game term)
    Can be thrown-with enough skill can cut a person in two when they're least expecting it.
    Cons
    Heavy as hell
    Slow

although the cons are pretty significant, with enough proper training, you could be virtually unstoppable.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Mop. No contest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Itsunari 2000
    Not true. Katana are possibly the best swords in the world - adamantine strength , perfect balance and sheer cutting power , the results of the labours of old Japan's master swordsmiths.

For the sake of discretion , I'd carry a Shirasaya ( that's a katana that can be concealed within a hollow length of wood to look like a stout cane. )
    Not true.
    Try to block a trust from a 1&½-handed broadsword with a katana. A katana is swift and sharp, true. But it can't stand up against a good broadsword. The thin blade make it swifter but that also means it will be less "powerfull" and can't take the hits from a broadsword. The curved blade is completely pointless and if the blade gets un-sharp it's completely powerless compared to a broadsword which can cut off bodyparts even without a super-sharp edge. Have you ever swinged a katana? Ever swinged a broadsword? Flamberge? Ninja-to etc? I have. And I've compared them alot. Katanas are overrated since almost none have actually fought another, more powerfull swordtype with a katana.
    True. But it's still possible to kill someone with a trown spoon! Seriously!
    I've heared about some Japan guy who can trow a small "nail" trough a window and kill someone on the other side of the window with the trown nail. His earlier generations where assasins and the knowledge about how to do this thing has survived trough hundereds of generations. I'm not sure if this is true though... but it may be.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 01-14-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Mop. No contest.
    1 out of 1 Jackie Chans would agree.

The curved blade is completely pointless
    The curvature allows for lightness and a razor-sharp edge - have you heard of the art of iaijutsu ? Itis the "striking art " , a supplemental to kenjutsu - it involves drawing the blade from it's sheath at lightning speeds into a simultaneous cut. This required intense training , perfection of technique and an almost supernatural level of physical and mental coordination channelled into a single , devastating strike.

Imagine the scene... a big burly warrior comes lumbering in , dragging his broadsword out of his sheath ... then , in the blink of an eye , his head has been sent sailing from his shoulders in a fine crimson spray , beheaded beforehe could even fully draw his sword. It is in these applications , the skill of the swordsman , as well as the purity and sharpness of the blade that makes the wielder of a katana superior.

PS : Katana would never get blunt , considering the samurai warrior would have his blade beaten, tempered and sharpened with a whetstone at least 300 times a day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Itsunari 2000
    The curvature allows for lightness and a razor-sharp edge - have you heard of the art of iaijutsu ? Itis the "striking art " , a supplemental to kenjutsu - it involves drawing the blade from it's sheath at lightning speeds into a simultaneous cut. This required intense training , perfection of technique and an almost supernatural level of physical and mental coordination channelled into a single , devastating strike.

Imagine the scene... a big burly warrior comes lumbering in , dragging his broadsword out of his sheath ... then , in the blink of an eye , his head has been sent sailing from his shoulders in a fine crimson spray , beheaded beforehe could even fully draw his sword. It is in these applications , the skill of the swordsman , as well as the purity and sharpness of the blade that makes the wielder of a katana superior.

PS : Katana would never get blunt , considering the samurai warrior would have his blade beaten, tempered and sharpened with a whetstone at least 300 times a day.
    That's a great of an "STUPID" warrior who lets his openant come that close "before" he drws his sword. If a warrior knows how to use his brain he will draw his sword BEFORE he gets close enough to his enemy to start the battle.

Sure. But that's too much extra work for my taste.

A broadsword can easily block and blow from a katana while a katana would have a hard time blocking any powerfull blow from a broadsword. And the curved blade dissables good trusting with the katana. And trusts are very hard to block compared to most other kind of cuts and blows and therefore a great move for any battle.

ps: I have contact with a real broadsword-guy who teach broadsword fighting. And he, if anyone, "knows his stuff".
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 01-14-2005 at 07:58 PM.

Post hehe...

No one picks on me! JOY!

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!