Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cid is NOT proununced "Sid"

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cid is NOT proununced "Sid"

Despite comon beleif and what FFTSW says Cid doesnot equal "sid" It's proounced with a long "ii" similar to "ee".

In other words it's pronounced "Seed".

Trust me on this one.

Not in English it isn't.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Well, yeah. El Cid was a Spanish guy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yes. You're absoloutely right.

Just in the same way that, in FFVI, Terra is pronounced Tina, Sabin is pronounced Mash, Arvis is pronounced Jun, Duane is pronounced Dean, Madonna is pronounced Madaline. Vicks is pronounced Biggs. Oh, and the summon Crusader is pronounced Jihad.

Once you come down to it, it's down to how you read it - unless it's spoken in the translation of the game, in which case it's pronounced exactly how they translate it. That goes for the movie, too. Maybe in the case of El Cid it should be pronounced differently as it's obviously a Spanish name, but he's not called El Cid in every game and I sure as hell don't think he looks anything like a Spanish man in FFVII..
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Even if you're right, I'm still going to pronouce it "Sid". I don't like "Seed". Reminds me of FFVIII.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still end up with "Sid" really

And yes it should remind you off FF8 - it's there where I found out.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Maybe he means Sean?

Oh, well. I'm still gonna call the game version hotty.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it actually pronounced "Shiido" in the Japanese version?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

That's because "shi" is preferred over "si" in Japanese. Both "Cid" and "SeeD" are pronounced "shido" in Japanese.

Blog Entries

Well then...

I think the answer to this question lies in the answer to another!

What do you get when you multiply six by...

Wait. That's not it, hold on.

"What is the international landiage of the world!"

Yes friends, it used to be French, and I do not know the French pronunciation of "Cid," but that is still irrelevant! The language that Chinamen scream over the airwaves when they're bringing in a plane from Sweden is English!

When we are introduced to proper pronunciaton of a word that is spoken internationally, it may be pronounced "Shido" in Japan, "Seed" in Spain, and "" in Miami, but it will always be Cid in English. (Or, at least, until we decide that another language should be the so-called predominant one.)

Here's my arguement. If you live in Japan and you pronounce "Cid" like Poop, then in Japan its poop. But here, where we speak english, the letters C, I and D placed in that order sounds like "sid". If in Botswana it sounds like Horse, then in botswana CID is horse. But I speak english and Cid sounds like Sid. Done. No arguing that.

If you are gonna argue about how the japanese pronounce things and say we should pronounce it their way, why translate a game? Its translated so we can understand it. One thing that really pisses me off is telling me that a simple word like "Cid" is pronounced incorrectly, and i should say it like the japanese do.

if you want to sound like a moron for the rest of your life, you go call it Sheed or w/e. But I, along with everyone else is going to call him Cid.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd rather go with ffx's voice acting. That might be a bit of. . . whatever, but still.
    sid! sid! sid!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RedCydranth
    One thing that really pisses me off is telling me that a simple word like "Cid" is pronounced incorrectly, and i should say it like the japanese do.
    Good thing no one told you that, then.

Its like Tidus and Tifa. Ive always called them Tee-dus and Tee-fa and thats how theyre pronounced in Japan too. But ive heard people call Tidus Tide-us and Tifa (this one pisses me off) Tiff-ah . But anyway, Cid ive always called Cid....err as in Sid.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Oh, and the summon Crusader is pronounced Jihad.
    That could give some troubles nowadays. But I have heard it before. That names changes when they go to another country. Ofcourse Loony BoB already named the FFVI-names. But what to think of Kary or Marilith (if I spelled it right). And there are more of these things. Reina from V was once called Lenna if I am correct. But good that is not Cid. It pronounce Cid as Sid. Even when it's against the law I will pronouce it as Sid. Like Flamethrower said Seed reminds to much of FFVIII, But everyone has his own manners of speaking it out. If I remeber correctly we already once has a discussion about this about another name.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)