Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post if you're... oh wait, what?

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

Home is where the heart is, they say. What they don't tell you is that you always leave a part of yourself behind. Part of me is still in Stockton, vaguely confused, sensing the fear and tension the teachers were trying to hide, hoping the guy with the gun doesn't come my way. Part of me is still at one of my old schools (after Stockton). Hell, part of me is still in summer school, even, and though it was just last year, a lot of stuff was happening in my life at that point, so it has meaning for me. (I guess that's what they call "nostalgia", but it's true.)

But we're getting off topic. Generally, I consider my new location to be home when I grow attached enough to it that part of me will always be there. Part of me is still in my old neighborhood, my memories have faded, but they're still there. A while ago, my mom and I were driving by where my aunt used to work. I pointed out the green building, she pointed out the white one. I was only six at the time, but sure enough, I turned out to be right. Anyway, it's not home anymore--since a piece of my heart will always be in my current location--but I still remember it. But a few years after I first moved away, Stockton still would have been home.

Hope that made some sense. It felt more like tidy rambling to me.
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

Most of your input makes sense to me and I can understand where you are all coming from. Except the spammers. I've moved around a lot in my life as well, but each time I did manage to settle down and make the best out of my conditions. It's just that whenever I moved on, and then swung by my old residencies just to visit (I should note this is different from visiting family, as we separated paths on my way to college), it was not at all how I remembered it. Even interactions with the same people was different (usually on the drab side). So of course, my enthusiasm of travelling was dampened a little bit.

Perhaps it has something to do with "moving on" too extremely?

Discuss.

Or spam.

I encourage both.

N---

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

Perhaps by "moving on too extremely" you mean "growing up"? If you're an adult, moving around probably isn't as big a deal, but as a kid, you tend to associate meaningful periods of your life with your surroundings. (Lord knows I have.) Now that you and the people you remember are grown up... It would've been different even if you'd stayed in the same town with them, but I think the difference you noticed (the drabness) was amplified by physical distance.
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't found that my interactions with people I haven't seen for sometime have really changed at all, even people I stop talking to for months on end and then hapharzardly meet in the grocery store. I guess this also goes back to my adaptability. Which kinda spooks my when I think about it, I don't want to be so adaptable I lose fondness for memories that helped make me who I am. I'm thinking too far into this, aren't I?

Signature by rubah. I think.

My problem is that I get too attached to places, sometimes, so I find it hard to leave. That includes hotel rooms. People mean a lot to me, too...but the odds are I'll see the people again, when I won't necessarily see the place. ;_;
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I think have lived in 10 different places . 5 different places in my hometown and other 5 different places in another city.
    Im glad my current location is the best of all..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The place where I currently live at is my hometown. I can't think of calling some of the places I used to live at my hometown.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krang
    Who got your panties in a twist, prince? I think I'll edit your title just for that "screw you to hell and back" comment. And despite the fact that you encourage spam, I do not. I'll close this thread if people spam in it.
    Ah, Matt, you warm my grouchy, black little heart sometimes

As for the actual subject of the thread, I can relate. I've considered Camrose, Halifax, and (lately) Moncton "home," and I get nostalgic just thinking about any of them. Yes, even Moncton, and I still live there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'll soon find out. One month until I get back to NZ for three weeks. I think with my friends I'll find it to be home and with my family, while I'll be glad to see them again, will not be home to me any more as I have grown out of living with them now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

It depends on your thought of what home is. is it where u are where u are most of the time where want to be the house u live in or just with the people u love.

I've not lived in Australia for almost fifteen years. It's still home to me.