Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Grammar Whore Thread

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I agree with Unne. However, I still think the EoFF Grammar Gestapo should be revived for one week. Why don't I do it you ask...? The answer is simple, I'm lazy.

I hate the use of ur, r, & u, possibly the whole lot actually.
    OMG Liek ur soooo ghey.....Grrrrrr that use of language really pisses me right off.
    What is the world coming to, a bunch of ing halfwits who don't even care about the language that they speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GLR
    Using shortcuts on a forum is unnecesary, but it is very usefull on live chats and a must in online games. Being killed while typing -thank you- can be anoyng, so it is logical that people write -ty- instead. If you play online games a lot, using them will become a habbit.

As for gramar, you should bear in mind that not everyone is American or English, so right gramar isn't natural to everyone.

That's true. I've almost gotten killed in StarCraft several times for trying to type something out. *smacks forehead*

To Unne-- personally it bothers me when people use terrible grammar or replace "you" with "u" and "to" with "2" because it's hard to understand. It takes me longer to read something with said symbols instead of actually words and having to read that for more than five minutes? Imagine if someone wrote a book in l337! Who would read it? Who would be able to read it? Different languages are one thing, but a poorly construed usage of a language so you can type slightly faster is just annoying.

When it comes to bad grammar, I suppose it's a pride thing. Not personally pride, pride of one's language. When you've been speaking a language for 15 years and someone who's been speaking it for 5 (as a 2nd or 3rd language) has dramatically better grammar that you, it's embarassing. It implies you don't care about your language (or your country). All the same, you're going to make assumptions about speakers of a certain language if they can't speak their native language as well as you can speak your 2nd or 3rd.

"Love is the triumph of Imagination over Intelligence."

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

how r u 2 day?

I receive plenty of text messages like this, and they annoy me.

But, there's not really a lot I can do about it.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

"I don't speak netspeak."

This is how I usually reply to people or comment upon posts that are littered with phrases like: Hi!1!!!11 How R U? NE 1 here?

Personally, I like it when I can easily read something. If a word or two is mispelled, or a comma/period is missing, I can gloss over it and be okay. It's when it's extensive that it gets on my nerves.
    Smile. ^_^

Blog Entries

I have like, the worste typing and grammer skills on earth. But I try anyways.

The odd 1 instead of ! is to be expected if typing very quickly, but you can, you know, check! Is it just me that ever gets the shortest text messages ever.
    K.
    Look, buddy, I've just spent 30 mins spelling this out letter by letter because my phone doesn't have predictive. The least you could do is type an O!
    Oh no, the end has fallen off - Uri De'Jeller

I feel that even though I can sometimes be somewhat frustrated by unorthodox language, there's really no need for me to get all agitated. All languages will evolve, change, morph and so forth and they will do so even if I complain about it. I don't see it as something inherently negative.

Though, as has been pointed out earlier, it's an upside if I can actually comprehend what's being written.

Something that also annoys me is the constant use of the word "Like", people seem to use it far too much these days. ....

as long as someone has proper spelling and apostrophe usage, I don't really mind. >:O if someone types similar to the way I type, I think they're cool.

punctuation is optional