Thread: Some FFXI questions from a WOW player

Some FFXI questions from a WOW player

I've always loved the Final Fantasy series. It's probably on of the best series of RPG's I've ever played. The only one that I haven't tried was XI because it was an online game and online RPG never appealed to me. Well, I got sucked into WoW and as a result have changed my opinion about online RPG's and as a result I am reconsidering my decision not to purchase XI. But before I run out an buy it I have a few of questions.

Battle System: What is the battle system like? Is it menu based like the other FF games? If you were to compare it to any of the other FF games which one is it most like?

Game and expansion: For starting out do I need to get the game and the expansion? or can I start with the basic game and then if I like it go and get the expansion?

Accessability/time requriements: One of the appealing things for me with WoW is the accessability and the ease of jumping on for a brief period of time hammering out a quest and then going offline. I've got a family and a full-time job so I'm not always able to sit down for hours at a time. WoW allow for me to hop on for brief periods and still feel like I'm getting stuff done. Does XI allow for this or is it more of a time sink?

PC vs. Playstation: Which is better? It's really a moot point for me as I have the slim PS which doesn't support the HD so I would have to get the PC version, but I am just curious. The interface for FF has always been geared around using a controller and I am wondering if it the game made the transition to PC or if the PC controls are clunky.

Sorry for the long post but I'm very interested in XI and want to know more before I run out and buy it.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a massive time sink -- after level 10, you have to be in a party of 6 for pretty much anything, so you spend a lot of time looking for group or trying to organize a party with the right combination of jobs. If you get the game nowadays, the expansion is built-in, so that's not an issue.

Battle system is both real-time and menu based. You can save some time whirring through menus by using macros, though -- that's important, because it's not like FFVI where you can take your time going through the menus and not have the mobs pounding on you in the meantime. If you take 10 minutes to make a decision, that gob is going to destroy you

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FFXI is time consuming if you plan on taking your character to its full potential, minimum 5 hours to get anywhere I'd say. Some people manage to get everything done in less time but this game is team orientend, so you need minimum 6 people to do most quests, missions and leveling, (which is uber fun '-')/ I play on the computerand I like it but I dc alot due to virus checks and other stupid crap, Jalbrean is on a PS2 and it's basically the same thing but no dc's @_@. It's a fun game I recommend you get it but if you work full time and have a family, then you may not want to get this, very time consumming.

Battle play in real time and team oriented, You still get your ass kicked even i you're looking through menus.. hence why macros are crucial @_@. Hope this answers any of your questions
    Too big.

When you say minimum of 5 hours, do you mean in one sitting or a five hour investment to reach the next level, not necessarily at once? I could probably do 1-2 hours at a time max.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

1-2 hours at a time is fine up until about level 30. After that, you're looking at a substantial time investment per party.

My average party gets 10,000 exp in a run, 150-250 exp per kill, depending on how far into the chain we are. I average 2-3k exp per hour most parties, but occasionally I get better ones -- I've seen up to 6k exp in an hour (and the party gave me a lot of credit for that, because I'm a bard...well, maybe they couldn't have exped that fast without me, but if I were such a great bard, all of my parties would get that kind of mad exp)

2-3 hours will get you somewhere until about level 51, whrere it beomes 10,000 to next level (as already mentioned)
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

Quote Originally Posted by UKG
    2-3 hours will get you somewhere until about level 51, whrere it beomes 10,000 to next level (as already mentioned)

Watashi lvl 55 desu! @20,000 Exp! Sugoi ne?!?......*dies*

I hope your SPT can stand it....its still the same 180-290(usually max) exp from mobs as it is from lower lvls.

When you say minimum of 5 hours, do you mean in one sitting or a five hour investment to reach the next level, not necessarily at once? I could probably do 1-2 hours at a time max.
    Probably 1 setting..although it might not always be 5 hours even though it possibly can.

Battle is most like EverQuest except with improvements such as skillchaining and other involving things as well as a better hate system.

You buy the game and get Rise of Zilaart expansion with the game, and thats all you really need, Chains of Promathia is so far not a NEED like RoZ for the time being.

Accessability/time requriements: One of the appealing things for me with WoW is the accessability and the ease of jumping on for a brief period of time hammering out a quest and then going offline. I've got a family and a full-time job so I'm not always able to sit down for hours at a time. WoW allow for me to hop on for brief periods and still feel like I'm getting stuff done. Does XI allow for this or is it more of a time sink?
    FFXI and WoW are different spectrums of each other, simply from what it sounds this game is NOT for you.

PC controls do feel kinda screwy when you start out, but now i find it easier than ever. Maybe moreso than Controller since when i used a Controller for a while in the FFXI Event they had at San Jose Great Mall...i just kept running into walls and after 10 mins i said..SCREW THIS! *uses keyboard*

But simply because you cannot spend alot of time on this game...its probably best if you dont play it.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

From playing FFXI for a year and WoW through Open Beta plus retail I can honestly say they are completely different MMORPG's. One's a more time investment, and one is a more casual playing.

If you can't spend a bit of time in a game, then I wouldn't bother with FFXI. But if you just want to 'pop on and get something done quickly', then WoW is for you. I don't think any other MMORPG will suit you apart from WoW, and don't even mention Matrix Online (*cough*).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."