Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving Weapon Skill in FF2

Okay.. Maybe I'm the smart one... But theres a HUGE glitch in the FF2 system. I'll spoiler it. Also i know it works for the NES and Origins versions of the game, DoS version I don't know yet. Y'all can tell me.

(SPOILER)The way FF2 is set up you are supposed to go up 1 weapon point everytime you use a specific type of weapon. The glitch: It counts the point when you select the enemy you want to strike NOT when you strike him. Thus if you use Frionel to select an enemy, cancel it and reselect you get 2 points, not one. if you cancel and recommand him 100 times in a single battle he gets 100 points towards the next sword skill raise. do this 16 times and you have mastered sword skill. The same applies for magic, its when you select the character NOT when its casted. So when you get Ultima, you can beef it up to Ultima 16 quite fast.

Also, if you want to power up quickly early, when you get Minh/Ming-Wu/Mindu (same guy) do what I said and get all 3 major characters weapon (AND SHIELD!!!! I can't emphasize enough how important level 16 sheild is! Level 16 sheild raises your evasion magnificently) Then when you feel lucky/strong enough you can travel to Mysidia by curling around the ocean and using the canoe. When there save up the money to buy everyone the Swap spell (not Mindu). Level that up to about 8 when you return to Altair, then use it on the nearby enemies reducing your HP and MP to incredibly low. after the battle watch your HP and MP soar! heal at the Inn in Altair and redo until you are gods. Once money becomes a huge issue, go to Mysidia and fight there, avoid the Cockatrices, they stone you. Hopefully you can get Esuna high enough to not make that an issue.

Once your HP and MP are at about 1000 and 500 respectively, equip a weapon you do NOT have any skill with (most likely fist, rod or bow) and unequip your shield, against low leveled enemies you won't have to worry about them hurting you much, so instead attack your own characters to about half of their HP, doing this raises their strength and HP even higher. After a long boring time your characters will be ready to take on the final boss, all before you leave for Paloom. From now on, use the fourth players slot to attack your own characters (with shields) while the other 3 do the task of story progression, never even bother with Lionheart when he joins, because the glitch only works with the first 3 players.

With that FF2 will be a mere twinkle in your eye because by the end of the game you can equip 2 blood swords on your main sword user (mine was Frioniel) and whoop the crap out of the final boss in a round an a half. (2 blood swords lv. 16 with Frioniel, Ultima 16 with Maria and Excalibur and Masamune Lv. 16 with Guy. Lionheart sits with a thumb up his butt.

Now that you know, FF2 will no longer be at ALL difficult.

To be completely honest, I barely used my magic. The only spells I used was Cure (it got to about lv 10-12 per character), Ultima (16), Esuna (8) ans Basuna (8) before Ultima you can just run from the jellys and flans that require magic to kill them. I did have Fire up to level 12 but that was early on, and I barely used it. Don't waste a lot of time on magic, focus on your attack stats, weapon skill and HP. If you follow my instructions in the spoiler using 16 MP for ultima isn't much MP, its a bargain.
    Last edited by RedCydranth; 01-31-2005 at 08:08 PM.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yeah, just so you know, the select/cancel trick is very well documented. You don't have to worry about putting that in spoiler tags. In fact it's practically considered an essential play mechanic by some.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

RedCydranth: That's the action-cancel trick, and it doesn't work in DoS version. It's quite well known among FF2's players. According to your description, you used virtually all the cheap tricks you can do in FF2, exploiting all the bugs and glitches, beating up your own guys, action-cancelling spells and weapons, using the Swap trick, Blood swords etc. Pretty much none of those tricks works in FF2 DoS anymore, except for (I think) Swap and Blood Swords.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Beating up your own characters, Swap and blood swords still work. Actually, I haven't tried the blood swords yet, but I just know they haven't taken that one out.

Soon, however, I'm going to be able to give MUCH dirtier strategies....

Well, I'm at least trying to do this honestly. Thankfully, beating down the Captains in Phynn seems to work well. The only thing I'm dreading now is going to be beefing up Esuna. *sigh*

In my eyes if it can be done withing game's limits its not cheating. If there was an armor you could give Cloud to always take 0 damage, you'd use it. If there was a spell that cost 0 MP and killed any enemy, even bosses, you'd use it. Why? Because it was programmed into the game. Glitch or not, its there and will be used. Its not like I whipped out a gameshark and coded my guys. THAT is cheating. They give you Blood Swords, they allow you to hurt yourselves, and they programmed it the way they did.

Have you beaten the Weapons in FF7? did you mass use Mime and KOTR? thats cheap and dirty but I'll bet you did that. The reason you did was because it could be done.

Final Fantasy 2 sucked, but it bugged me that I hadn't beaten it, so I busted through the game faster than any other game I've played.

Its NOT cheating, its just cheap. But I'm an economical person and will do things as cheap as possible if it gets the same results in the end. Why buy a loaf of bread for $1.50 at a supermarket when you can buy it for .75 at Wal-Mart? Cheap works.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

Because $0.75 bread tastes like napkins and Wal Mart treats their employees like [explitive deleted], but that's another issue for another time. It's true though that it's enitrely Square's doing that those things were in the game. It's sorta like the Penninsula northeast of Pravoka. Was it unintentional? Probably. Is it there anyway? Yup!

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

RedCydranth: I never said you were cheating there, and I haven't decided yet whether that's cheating or not, or whether it's okay to use the trick or not, but it doesn't matter since your opinion counts when it's about your game. I just said you used very cheap methods, and even you admitted yourself that you did things as the cheap way in FF2. And I also pointed out that many of those features don't work in FF2 DoS anymore.

DJzen: The Peninsula NE of Pravoka might actually be intentional. Who knows, Square kept it in FF1 WSC and Origins, and FF2 also has a peninsula full of strong enemies if you go slightly south of Althena.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I think the fix in DoS was agreat idea because now when you fite guys that through some seriously hard times allows you to amass lvls quickly. Cheating is hard and the bllod swords were made for the final fite and nothin else.
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)