Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving Weapon Skill in FF2

Default Improving Weapon Skill in FF2

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone could reccomend any places to improve your characters' weapon skills. Right now, I have all three main characters at level 4 in their respective weapons. Are there any good places to improve on that, or am I stuck beating on myself while a bunch of hornets stand around and watch?

Thanx

basically u do have to sit there and beat yourself, but u dont need to be too strong just yet, for a long time the enemies are very weak
    :nibbles: :<3:

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Or just start walking north from Fynn

im playing the DOS version, and if u beat the Captain's in fynn, they are rank 5, which brings up your stats by a lot, but they have 750 hp and high defense, but you can take them down with magic, they give u the flame bow which is very strong and can be sold for 2000 gil, the golden armour which can be sold for 1000 gil, the curse tome which i havent gotten yet, or the toad tome which can be sold for 5000 gil, they also give 300 - 450 gil for beating them...

On the battlefield

If you get Curse, don't sell it. It's probably the best spell you'll run into for a while.

what does curse actually do? and how come they made FF2 sooo boring and FF1 soo sweet?

Curse would have been better titled "Cripple", it makes the target absurdly weak. Plus, you can stack that on top of Blind and Mute/Fog. Or, if you're like me, you can stack it on top TWO AXES TO THE FACE!!!! Gyahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!111

lmao, sweet, but i'd stack it on 2 swords, 2 javelin's and 2 axes to the go-nads

Articles

The mention of dual-axes has made me think of a sub-topic -

This mostly applies to swordsmen, spearmen, axe-wielders (basically any physical fighter that doesn't wield a bow) - Does anyone choose to NOT wield a weapon in each hand? In my experience the extra damage supplied by dual weapons for outweighs the lack of defense that is the result of this equipment arrangement. I've never had a problem with being too weak in the physical Def department, so all of my fighters are always wielding a weapon in each hand.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never really thought about doing that.

Doing good enough still by only having one weapon per person.

Quote Originally Posted by SePhO_zO
    The mention of dual-axes has made me think of a sub-topic -

This mostly applies to swordsmen, spearmen, axe-wielders (basically any physical fighter that doesn't wield a bow) - Does anyone choose to NOT wield a weapon in each hand? In my experience the extra damage supplied by dual weapons for outweighs the lack of defense that is the result of this equipment arrangement. I've never had a problem with being too weak in the physical Def department, so all of my fighters are always wielding a weapon in each hand.
    Shields don't add to your defense. Having a shield means you have the chance of being able to block an attack. They also add to evasion, and subtract from Intelligence and Spirit. At least, they did in the FC version.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I never go without a Shield, otherwise my front-row fighters have to live with 0% evasion, which means they really do feel the pain in some dungeons. I'd rather take two rounds to kill a monster and take no damage than take only one round and have a large chunk of my life taken from me.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Shields don't add to your defense. Having a shield means you have the chance of being able to block an attack. They also add to evasion, and subtract from Intelligence and Spirit. At least, they did in the FC version.
    I remembered the purpose of shields some time after my post, but depending on how valuable one considers the Evasion stat, that info could actually strengthen my argument.

Personally, I don't disregard Evasion entirely, but I only bother with it if the stat can be raised to a high level relatively easily. Otherwise, I'd rather take consistent damage with a high defense to support me, than hope for an attack to miss altogether (but that's an entirely different topic).

Well.... It's kinda weird how it works...

The amount that they raise evasion by is usually only about 7 or 10 points. However, evasion tends to be more important than defense. A character with high defense and low evasion will consitently take more damage than a character with low defense and high evasion. I managed to get through the entire Deist Cavern with barely a scratch on Layla, who only had her starting HP (300 some-odd.... right?), but Guy routinely took thousands of HP of damage all the time. This happened because Guy had virtually no evasion because he was using dual axes. Layla had a sword and a knife, which barely made a dent in her high evasion.

The way damage works is monsters don't just hit you once. They hit you as many times as their accuracy stat allows. With higher evasion, you can dodge more hits per attack. So let's say a monster has 30 strength. not a big deal, right? Well, let's say this monster can also hit 5 times. All of a sudden the damage jumps from 30 to 150! Now, here's where evasion comes into play. If a character's evasion only lets them dodge one blow, they'll still be taking 120 damage. That's better, but it's still not great. A character who can dodge 3 blows will only take 60 damage. See where I'm going?

Now, defense DOES reduce damage, but it only reduces damage per hit. So let's use the above example of 30 damage X 5 hits. A character whose defense blocks 10 damage is still going to get hit 5 times and wind up taking 10 damage. While that's one hell of a lot better, let's say that monster now does 80 damage per hit. At 5 hits that going to be 400 damage. With that -10 from the defense, you're going to wind up taking 350 damage. However, with an evasion of 3 (which is a pathetic evasion, mind you) you'll take only 160 damage! This discrepancy only gets wider and wider as the game progresses.

Now, to make things even MORE interesting, while shields DO raise evasion by a somewhat marginal amount, their true value is determined by your shield skill. The shield skill is essentially your likelihood of using your shield when struck. Your magic ability WILL go down, but you'll also wind up getting hit even LESS. In my game, Firion almost never gets hit 'cause he's had a shield for the whole game. Not only is his evasion high, but his shield skill is approaching 12. Meanwhile, Guy and his higher defense still take thousands of HP worth of damage during tough fights, while the other 3 usually only lose a couple hudred worth (maybe two thousand if it's an especially volatile boss).

In summation, evasion makes more of a difference in reducing damage than defense does, especially later in the game.