Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on how to be a good player

Got it.

If you in a War in Dunes, for the love of God don't think that moving around will make the enemies hit you less. I distinctly remember someone doing that in one of my pts before *shakes head*.
    Sigless

I only do that because Im a roleplay whore.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Use appropriate weapons, this goes specifically for all the idiotic sword WARs. I blame Square Enix for giving WARs the onion sword. Use an axe, or better yet, a great axe! Every job has different caps for different weapons, use the weapons at the highest cap as it makes the weapons more effective that other possible choices.

Know what equipment to buy first. If you're going to be tanking (WAR, PLD) you'll want to buy the most up to date armor first. As NIN tanks shouldn't be taking very much damage because they use their shadows you can usually focus on other things such as STR and attack increase equipment that will increase your damage and help you maintain hate. I've seen many NINs lose hate before their shadows are up because they aren't putting out enough damage to keep it off of the damage dealers.

As a damage dealer, like the ninja, focus on STR and attack increasing equipment as well as the most powerful weapons available. A lot of people like to load up on DEX hoping that it will dramatically increase their accuracy- which it doesn't. The relationship between DEX and acc. is supposedly a curve, so each extra point of DEX becomes less and less effective. Sticking with STR will add that much more damage to your attacks when connect, usually about a damage point per STR point. The only job that really, really needs DEX is the THF as it is directly related to their sneak attack, which they get at L15. At L30 they learn Trick Attack which relies on AGI. So obviously for a thief that's what you want to focus on.

For mages keep up to date on spells. If you can't afford all of them, go with the important spells that you're going to be using. While helpful, at lower levels the bar-ra spells aren't necessary, buy them if you can afford them. Load up on MP increasing equips.

As a WHM you'll want to get as much MND as you can. For a BLM you'll want as much INT as you can. For a RDM, early on you'll probably be stuck as a back-up healer, so MND is a more realistic choice, at least until /BLM becomes viable at the later levels. SMN will *always* sub WHM, so stick with the MND.

For BRD and BST, load up on all the CHR you can. Both will most likely end up subbing WHM, so it's a good idea to get MND in equipment slots where you can't get CHR. For BRD have an array of instruments that will increase the potency of the different types of songs. Like spells, keep up with the necessary songs at all costs, usually you'll end up using certain songs a lot more than others.

That's all for now.

NINs usually dont use STR to gather hate and use Ninjutsu and enfeebles to do so instead, most load up on Evasion gear since they got an A+ in the skill and can avoid many attacks before their shadows are hit.

DEX is not linear to Acc but it is generally believed that 2DEX=1 Acc. Its not that significant but DEX's main thing is to have more Crits. And guess what that DOES make you hit more...DEX does in a way raise Acc in terms of more Crits...but it is generally not as favored as Acc as Crits are not as consistant. But by no means does DEX doesnt raise Acc in any way even if indirectly. Acc is actually the one that will give dimishing returns when you get a certain ammount...its rumorued to be +40 Acc then it starts giving you dimishing returns. No basis though.

Attack i heard raises the ammount of damage you do, STR will minimize lower hits i heard..either that or its the other way around. Either way i know ATK sooner or later, like Acc gives dimishing returns.

MND i disagree for WHM having alot, MND is only useful when you are doing enfeebles when you have no RDM in your party. WHM is essentially an MP job. While it is true that MND does raise your cure cap a bit, its usaully +5 - +7 to raise it by...a whole 1 hp.

MND and INT should be sought after by RDMs, since they are enfeeblers. I would sugguest enough MND til you can enfeeble WHM type enfeebles consistantly, then go for INT for BLM Enfeebles and Nukes.

I also recommend BLMs getting elemental ATK up and Magic ATK + Bonus equips over INT as the damage formula seems to calculate INT last...and while at low lvls INT might make a difference, as you get higher, INT all it does is give you 1 more dmg point...so INT at low lvls then focus on Elemental ATK up and Magic ATK + Bonus equips..then fill in INT on those that dont have a slot for those two..or MP depending on your race.

For BST i recommend +MP equipment over MND, however as for BRD do load up on CHR Equipment. IT will make Lullaby stronger and that is important. Minuet, Lullaby, Minne, Mambo, Ballad, Madrigal, Elegy, Finale, and Paeon are the absolute basic for me...

SMN subs WHM but i still recommend MP gear over MND, as they are to heal and to manage MP, when a SMN is healing, as well as WHM, it is not a stat job but an MP job and the management of that MP. After management comes the regain rate of it. That is what seperates downtime and another chain. SMNs might want to even load up on Magic ATK Bonus up gear or INT because their avatars can do more dmg that way...other than that their MP keeps their Avatars out longer and therefore more Blood Pacts.

I agree though that WAR doesnt need a Sword at early lvls -_- i was tricked too..

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

WEll you can just play the game linear.Do what opthers tell you wat to do.Like if your a BArd .Even thoughy ou can throw any sub with a bard.Some idiots had to say "hey lets make the bard do more work and sub him with WHM"Wow they went well good.ME I sub it with THF yeah I'm lazy.

edit- only a few players actually care what a bard subs on it.Literally.I've been in so many PTs and only 3 of them questioned me subbing THF lol.But I'm RPing the Bard job.And Bards are known for thieving peoples money away so BRD/THF soundsed kewl to me lol.

Most of the time people are happy with a BRD with the buffs they give and rather not care too much. But most people have little respect for BRDs should they ever complain about something illegitimate like LFG (especially that).

BRDs will optimally sub a WHM. What will THF give you as a sub? Gilfinder(useless...most things you exp off arent beastmen), Sneak Attack(if you ever wanna poke stuff...'wwww'), and maybe Flee..but the BRD rarely gets hate and even if they do they need to stay there and not run off like a wuss..

A BRD will be best with WHM in which if you ever find yourself in a tight spot, that CureIII and backup healing can push the chain/survival up alot. I know that happens when i have less than 100 MP because the Gobs in Gustav threw a few too many bombs in one fight...the BRD's MP gave me enough time to heal without the chain stopping because of his backup healing and ended the chain 4 quite nicely....with chain 5 much more manageable(and hence why WHM sub is better than a SMN sub for BLM..he helped too). He also saves me MP by curing certain status alignments and sometimes Bar-element spell when i am too occupied. That sure saved a few bomb tosses doing over 200 dmg. The party is only as good as the weakest link..although some weak links are more apperant than others.

The effort you put into your job really shows what player you are...and its easily seen if not in the BRD job, in another...and i will be sure to take note of gimp/rude players...and i am pretty linient on 'gimp'. =/

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

if you want to be a good player never and i mean never eat alot of mexican food before you play =)