Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

kind of a broad topic...could write a novel on that. Can you be a bit more specific?

Well theres one general rule: Dont suck

You might want to be specific as to your job and lvls. Also what do you want to know? Crafting? Party etique? Doing well at your job? Equipment? Be more specific.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I guess just what you expect from other players and what characteristics you want to invite them in your party. I've only started two days ago and want to know what people expect.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should have up to date equipment/spells/etc. If you have a subjob, it should be *fully* levelled. (i.e., for a level 10 war, your sj should be level 5, in which case I will assume that when you ding 12, your sj will ding to 6, or you will leave to level it)

If no subjob, there's nothing you can do -- you'll be passed over for someone who has one.

Also, you should have an appropriate subjob. For warrior at low levels, this means monk. For whm, it should be blm or smn, and for blm it should be whm and nothing else. Warrior should never sub whm. Rdm should rarely or never be subbed. I will always pass over a /rdm sub for something more appropriate (I'd rather have a drk/blm than a drk/rdm, although for preference, drk should have war or thf subbed)

Two things that I would never invite into an exp party are people who have drg or brd subbed. Drg and brd are main jobs. Without the 2hr, drg is gimped, meaning that drg is always gimped as a sub. For bard, you need to have an instrument equipped to be effective, and you can only equip an instrument with a brd main. About the only time I'd consider brd as an acceptable sub is if you're a bst subbing it for the chr bonus--but then you'd be soloing anyways. Bst are OK for parties, as long as they don't charm, and you only need chr for charming.

At lower levels, I also tend to invite someone who's close--so if you're in the teens, put up your seek flag and stay in the Dunes. At higher (post-Kazham) levels, I'll tend to invite someone who is either in Jeuno or who has a search comment indicating that their HP is in Jeuno so they can Warp/deathwarp back in a jiffy. Jeuno's the gateway to the wider world.

And speaking of search comments--use one! A search comment can tell more about you than just your job, such as exp to next level (important if you might become too high for the party) I usually have a format like such:

@10000 tnl / HP: {Jeuno}
    {English} / {Japanese} {Party} OK
    (Any additional info I wish to add at the time, such as stat boosts, food type, or occasionally "nihongo de jouzu ja arimasen")

Also, you should have an appropriate subjob. For warrior at low levels, this means monk. For whm, it should be blm or smn, and for blm it should be whm and nothing else. Warrior should never sub whm. Rdm should rarely or never be subbed. I will always pass over a /rdm sub for something more appropriate (I'd rather have a drk/blm than a drk/rdm, although for preference, drk should have war or thf subbed)
    I find SMN before 50 without Auto Refresh to be a big waste, you lose Bind which really helps on the Aquans you meet ie crabs and pugils.

RDMs are fine up til around 40ish i would say as a sub, being that around then BLM gets you Conserve MP. If you are a BLM, RDM sub until a certain lvl is fine. But WHM is more preferred because of status heals and bar spells. Fast Cast is not that great but RDM sub is acceptable in a little ways at least til 40. Then WHM or BLM sub on a mage is more acceptable. However around 66 RDM sub becomes acceptable again when you can learn Dispel.

The thing with your sj is that its to re-enforce your main job, not to make up weaknesses. At least in a party situation, when you are soloing you can sub whatever you want.

DRG/BRD sub before 20 i would find acceptable, it has been sorta proven that BRD sub before 20 for some jobs are pretty effective. Paeon and Madrigal(or Minuet) is very good to have and outweighs some other subs. Like THF, cant tank for jack even with WAR sub, however a BRD sub makes it work actually better. A DRG with BRD sub can use healing breath in the all aweful Dunes when ppl are in deep crap. All you have to do is sing Requiem and bam healing breath when you low life. I also sub BRD when theres a RDM or when theres no refresher around high lvls, a WHM/BRD can help boost the power of going through chains post 50 with Ballad I. You just have to know how to keep up with the busy-ness. Of course none of these thigns apply next to DRG/BRD pre 20 when theres a REAL BRD in your party.

I wouldnt say people staying in the Dunes, LaThine or Konschat is a good place to ask too. Some people Solo there when theres no party.

My search comment says what i am good at:

@10000/20000 JPN/ENG OK! sj: BRDorBLM
    (Dark Staff) : O (Light Staff) : O MND+18
    RaiseII@(Bazaar)Rdy! (Roast Mushroom) O

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

*takes notes*

Oh my dear Doctor Recognized Member Wyllius's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All I can offer is simple advice based on my meleeing and maging adventures. If you choose a melee class and you see the monster going for a mage Provoke if you can, you'll learn early on that a mage is not designed for physical combat in any way, woe betide you if you're in a pt that allows the whm to take hits per battle, it does happen, but the keynote for your blm or whm is try to keep them safe, and if your mage whips out their staff/wand and starts to hit the monster SCREAM AT THEM TO STOP AND GET THE FECK AWAY FROM THE MONSTER AND GET BACK TO CASTING, a mage will do pitiful damage with their weapon, it's what melee classes were designed for and by doing this they're bringing down the pt security as they're now in range for Area Of Effect attacks which will drain the white mages ability to keep others alive.

Ideally you'd want a tank class, a white mage, and damage dealers in the pt, while in the dunes you'll notice that there is a shortage of whms, if you do choose to be a whm, prepare for multiple blind invites for people wanting you, accept them or not, I went to the dunes with my 12 whm after leveling my 3rd job to 35 so I was used to waiting in jeuno for party messages before accepting so I was more selective in my dunes pt acceptance, didn't save me from idiots though.

You'll develop your own playing style in the game and your own acceptances from experience, all I can say is beware of idiotic subs like bleys has mentioned. if you ever see something like a war/whm or pld/whm join your pt, and they do not change their subjob then run away, war/whm sounds fantastic, a warrior who can heal himself, he'll have maybe enough mp to heal himself twice, or what about a whm/war a whm who can attack monsters and keep himself alive! no, 3 hits dead from his pitiful whm defense.

From my experience:

The job combos I have left pts from seeing:

war/whm
    pld/whm
    drk/pld
    thf/whm
    rdm/war - this one I had to think about for a while, but as I seen it a rdm needs all the mp he/she can get, voke wouldbe nice but slow/paralyse/bind/blind/gravity is as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think this is the first 100% serious post I have ever seen from Wyll, except maybe three in Staff.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eat food! Food is your friend.

Oh my dear Doctor Recognized Member Wyllius's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys
    I think this is the first 100% serious post I have ever seen from Wyll, except maybe three in Staff.
    It's laced with mind controling suggestions as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is that why I burned down all those churches last night? I was sort of wondering where I got the idea, but I just couldn't resist.
    Last edited by Citizen Bleys; 02-01-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Do you hold it against a player when there game crashes and they leave you alone in a monster filled area?

Well no not really, connection losts are kinda typical at times =/ So no not really unless they d/c tons of times and still want to party. What control does anyone have when a game crashes anyway?

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Don't tell anyone how to play their job, if you think that they are doing something wrong just suggest an alternative method.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."