View Poll Results: Best 'football'

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Football (Gridiron)

17 38.64%
  • What the rest of the world calls football (soccer)

27 61.36%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: American Football vs Real Football

To say that Basketball is easy is ridiculous. Let's see you throw a basketball from 23 feet and make it in the net with a hand in your face. Anybody can kick a ball, albeit some better than others. Shooting a basketball is much more difficult than kicking a soccerball. Not to mention there's much more 1-on-1 defense, an entirely different skill.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

is it wesh look ive done a 26 yard shot in the net with ease (im double jointed in my hands so it got more power and speed) im small compared to the others they're all about 5'9-6'4 im only 5'6-5'8 in height. footballs harder as you need to get passed the strikers and defenders then quickly make a perfect shot before you get tackled or fouled.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

OK. You still said basketball is easy, which it is not by any stretch of the imagination.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

i find it easy same with alot of ppl i know all you need is good throw and speed and thats it while in football there's kicking heading deflecting saving corner taking throw in taking & tackling.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

If you really want to get that specific, here are the following skills in basketball:

Shooting (Jumpshots)
    Layups
    Dunks
    Free-throw shooting
    Defending
    DRIBBLING
    Running
    In-bounds passes
    Passing as a whole
    The alleyoop pass
    Blocking
    Stealing
    Rebounding
    Jumping

Trust me. Real basketball requires a lot more than "good throw and speed."

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

most of them are just for showing off, seriously ive scored points in a b ball game about a hell of alot more times than football which i hardly ever score at. but i have scored 2 Hatricks before in the last month plus i can do spinba;lls on anyball when im goal at football or shotting in basketball since i practiced cricket and done spinballs when i was bored so i do it in these games. Basketball isnt as violent it s a cleaner sport but it can be very boring at times but with football when you see the skills of someone going through the midfielders and defence and doing a beautiful shot to the back of the net. they're both great sports and both own Rugby but on Tv Football is better

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoden
    most of them are just for showing off
    xDDDDDDD

I don't know why I'm continue to post about B-Ball, since it's off-topic, but no. Just no. Dunking and alleyoop passes are for showing off.

Dribbling, shooting, defending, jumping, blocking, stealing...all of those are parts of the game.

And basketball is one of the most exciting sports in the world, with the proper teams.

Again, different skills required in each different sport. I can understand your frustration Kirobaito. I would be more than sceptical if someone told me they could shoot a basket from 26 yards....

Shoden, you're giving soccer fans a bad name and making us look ignorant about American sports. Basketball is a hell of a hard game to play and you need a lot more than speed and accuracy. The standard of Basketball in British schools hell in the pro British league is so far from the NBA it's not even funny. I take it back to my earlier point about the British not being privy to the best American sports have to offer and vica-versa so its now wonder the opinions vary so widely from country to country.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    I was talking in general. Compared to other sports the refs are the worse. Not other basketball leagues. Its a very tough game to call no doubt but they still make too many bad calls. With football they implemented reviews to cut down on that. The other sports are pretty cut and dry when it comes to the calls and there isn't a lot of interperation.

That is what I meant.
    The baseball strike zone is the most inconsistently and difficultly called point in sports in my opinion.

Of course you are going to score more in basketball than in soccer. The playing field is much smaller and the net is elevated so that you cannot directly defend it. A soccer game goes 5-4 while a basketball game goes 95-94. I don't think you can compare the two. Both take a hell of a lot of aerobic endurance, though, possibly more than the other top sports.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I think the strike zone, while hard to call, is called correctly most of the time. The Umpire is usually very good at making the call and all those instant replays prove it to me. While it is very hard it is still more cut and dry than B-Ball. How many times have people been called for a clean block because they pushed the shooter down with the ball. Perfectly legal but it happens all the time. How about charging or defensive fouls. There are so many they let go by as well as so many that don't deserve to be called. Its a game where you don't want to slow down the game by over burdening it with ticky-tack fouls but you also don't want to let people get away with stuff. That is highly interppertatable(is this a word?). That is why I think basketball is the hardest sport to call over all. There are parts of other sports that are hard to call but almost all of basketball is hard to call.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You're probably right. I just wanted to get baseball mentioned since it hadn't been for about a page or two.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    The baseball strike zone is the most inconsistently and difficultly called point in sports in my opinion.

Of course you are going to score more in basketball than in soccer. The playing field is much smaller and the net is elevated so that you cannot directly defend it. A soccer game goes 5-4 while a basketball game goes 95-94. I don't think you can compare the two. Both take a hell of a lot of aerobic endurance, though, possibly more than the other top sports.
    That's a rather high score for a soccer game, isn't it?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah, it is. But he got the point across.

Basketball? *Looks at thread title* Ok. I think basketball is nicer to actually play, but that footy (soccer) is nicer to watch. I can't watch basketball because it's too fast-paced, and too repetitive after a while.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

5-4 certainly is a high score. Only once this season has a game had 9 goals in it. If a game has more than 4 goals it's seen as high scoring, but that's part of the beauty of football, when you do finally get a goal, it's so rewarding...and you run around the house screaming in celebration...