View Poll Results: Best 'football'

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Football (Gridiron)

17 38.64%
  • What the rest of the world calls football (soccer)

27 61.36%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: American Football vs Real Football

Default American Football vs Real Football

I know this is going to cause a trans-atlantic argument, but I love arguments;

So is it American Football (a.k.a Gridiron) or Real Football (a.k.a Soccer)?

If you vote American football I will employ a mercenary to kill you...painfully.

Never watched a game of American Football, so I can't really vote. Using Rugby as the closest comparison though, I'd probably prefer 'Soccer' to the American sport.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

I play for teams on both sports and Like them both alot BUT Soccer will always be my favourit sport VIVA PORTUGAL!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think American football is best sport in the world, and the NFL is the best run sports league in the world. I like it because it's a tactician's game. I don't think there is any other game out there where you try to come up with so many varied plays one after another. I don't like soccer because there's not enough scoring, and the action gets repetitve. Plus all the players are basically the same type of athlete, at least not as varied as the NFL, baseball, and basketball. It's the same reason I don't like hockey.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I've watched American football, and I found it incredibly boring.

And Del Murder, if you came to England and watched a good quality side, you'd see that the types of players vary dramatically, we've got hardmen who aren't afraid to knock you off the ball, tacticians who can vary the pace of play and have the sporting brain of a genius, explosing attackers who can strike the ball with almighty power, dainty forwards with bucket loads of pace, leaders who can command a game, goalkeepers with amazing agility.

The whole of Europe, South America, Africa and Asia can't be wrong, Football (soocer) is the worlds number 1 sport...and for a good reason!

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Del Murder summed it up nicely. American football is indeed the best sport in the world and I look forward to each season.

I respect and admire soccer players, but I just can't get into watching it.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

baseball.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Football is my favorite sport. There's too many breaks in American Football. Football has 45 minutes of non-stop action. I can't wait until the '06 World Cup!

Fact: The Football (soccer) World Cup is the most watched single sport event in the world.

Fact: Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in most European, South American, Asian and Afrian countries.

Fact: Football (soccer) is the most played team sport in the world.

Fact: The 2002 World Cup final was watched by over 1 billion people world-wide, the biggest ever worldwide audience for a sporting event.

Fact: Football (soccer) is a fast paced, exciting game.

Fact: Football (soccer) has international teams, something American football doesn't have. You'll never experience the glory and the patriotism when you beat another country in a world-wide event.

I could go on forever...

Part of this argument could be fueled by the fact that American Football has not caught on in Europe and Soccer has not quite caught on Stateside either. If both sports were played equally all over the world, then it would probably be easier to judge one against the other.

Take care all.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think you will get any arguments, tomarmar, that soccer is not the most popular sport in the world. It just doesn't have the things I like to see. I don't care that much about the rest of the world to get too excited over international sports, but when the Raiders play the Chargers....watch out! International rivlaries in Europe are replaced by regional rivalries here.

I really enjoyed your reply to my post, even though I didn't understand most of it.

What I meant by different types of athletes was that only in the NFL will you see a 6'0" 300 pound physical lineman, a 5'10" 200 pound agile running back, and a 6'4" 180 pound speedy wide reciever all invloved in the same play. Perhaps soccer has those, I admit that I have not seen many professional soccer matches.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoy American football better. But I like them both.

However, eestlinc knows the score. Baseball am win.

Signature by rubah. I think.

you of course have physical differences 6ft 3 centre backs. Pacy wingers, strong front men. But you dont' have any Rhino sized men because they'd be too slow and not agile enough for the game. American football iritates me in that every move is "in the playbook" they'res no room for individual creativity and the kind of showmanship you get from players like Ronaldinhio and jay jay ocacha. you also get several forms of play in football in different areas of the pitch not just the same thing moved up 10 yards. Must say i do like the cheerleaders though.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

i'm american and i like soccer better than football.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    International rivlaries in Europe are replaced by regional rivalries here.
    That's probably where Football wins out over American Football: Not only are there regional sides (I'm not an expert in the NFL or anything, but from what I've seen only major cities have sides - in football, every single town has a side or maybe several, but I suppose in a country as large as the US that isn't really possible) but there are also international sides. It's fun to have rivalries against such people as Czanthor over here, say (Because Liverpool >>>>>>>>> Arsenal ) but then both me and Czan will unite behind the England team and the glory of Shaun Wright-Phillips. It's great.

Oh, and rivalries aren't limited to just Europe. If you knew of England and Argentina...hoo boy.