Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cid

Default Cid

As you all probably know, Cid is a very common name in FF games. He's usually associated with airships in some way, but not always.

Like in Final Fantasy VI. What exactly does he do?

In FF2, he's the owner of the airship and the pilot. In FF4, he's the engineer of the airships. In FF7, he's, well, an a**hole pilot of the airships. In FF10, he's the Al Bhed guy with the airship.

But what does he do in FF6? I know he's a soldier of the empire, under Gestahl's command, but what is he? A general like Celes or Leo? A lower officer like Kefka? Or a common underling like Vicks and Wedge? Or maybe he's the chief engineer like he is in FF4's Empire of Baron?

Anyone know for sure?

Feion
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

He's not a soldier. He's in charge of the Magitek facility and came up with the process of injecting people with the essence of Espers to give them magical powers. And yes, he does work for the Empire.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Cid is always a technical scientist type of guy that works with the latest and greatest in technology in the world (except for FFVIII) and it just happens that airships are basically the cutting edge technology in each game.

FFII - Airship Owner/Pilot
    FFIII - Airship Owner
    FFIV - Airship Engineer
    FFV - Airship Scientist
    FFVI - Magitek Scientist
    FFVIII - Airship Pilot after space program is canned
    FFVIII - dunno
    FFIX - Airship Engineer
    FFX - Al Bhed leader that embraces technology, Airship Owner
    Figaro Castle

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
    FFVIII - dunno
    Cid is the owner of the Balmb(sp) garden...which tuns into a hovercraft
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by final-andy
    Cid is the owner of the Balmb(sp) garden...which tuns into a hovercraft
    Actually he's the headmaster, NORG is the financial owner.

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor
    A general like Celes or Leo? A lower officer like Kefka?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kefka of equal rank to Celes and Leo?

I'm not sure. The scene at the Doma Camp could imply that Leo outranks Kefka, but that's not certain - he might just not want to use the poison in front of Leo, as the poison is a horrible warcrime and Leo might kill him for it or something.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

How I always took it was that kefka was an advisor of some sort.

General Leo was the highest ranking military officer and had the loyalty of the Troops, therefor purposely alienating him while the troops are needed is a bad idea. Also even if you put someone above him in rank I think the troops would still look to him if they had any doubts on the orders. Hence the neccessity to remove Leo from the scene at the camp. As it was there were some feeble protests if I remember... If Leo was there and hadn't left it may have been outright refusal.

That is how I always took it anyways. Leo was loyal but he wouldn't condone acts that went against his code so to speak. In fact if I remember right the whole time to until his death Leo still has a pure image of the Emperor and the Empire, and thinks Kefka is rogue... that and the Emperor gives Kefka the whole blame for the poison making it appear as if kefka was rogue(Leo doesn't like him :P) and that also cements Leo's Loyalty because it makes The Emperor look good in his eyes.

But I am repeating myself.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Coorect me if I am wrong but wasn't Kefka the first, and only male injected with magitek? Thus driving him insane? Though being powerful I think Gesthal kept him there as a weapon.

And Cid was definetly the cheif of the magitek research faciility. I am currently replaying FF6 for the 12-hundredth time, and just a few days ago i was at the point I learned of Cid

You say you want to hear the truth? I say that you are lying! You do not want the truth. Instead you want to hear a well crafted lie mixed with half truths that you find more appealing than the real truth.

The Legend of Mythus

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

He was not the only male, he was however the first. "The process wasnt perfected yet, and something snapped in Kefka that day." Soldiers in the facility have magic, and there's even a boy in Vector we see with magic.

Kefka was definitely not the same rank as Celes and Leo. Celes and Leo were generals. Kefka had authority because he could tell soldiers what to do, as he often did ("Ahem, there's sand in my boots"). But the scene at the camp outside of Doma shows soldiers talking about quitting if Kefka becomes the next general.

And I never knew that Kefka had been infused with magicite (I almost said Mako. Hahahaha). I guess that one must've missed me. So that's why he so f***ed up!

Good old Kefka. Now that's a villian. Such an evil guy. I mean Sephiroth was bad, but Kefka, he'd friggin work Sephi over and then bathe in his blood. Zeromus, Chaos (where did he come from), the Emporor, X-Death, Ultemecia, Kuja... They all just don't compare to Kefka. As a soldier in the Imperial Castle in Vector said:

"Kefka's scum."

Feion
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As far as Cid's ranking, since he wasn't military personelle, strictly speaking, I think he had some authority and access to certain information, but wasn't high enough in the pecking order to give orders to most. He could probably boss the grunts around though.

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor
    Kefka was definitely not the same rank as Celes and Leo. Celes and Leo were generals. Kefka had authority because he could tell soldiers what to do, as he often did ("Ahem, there's sand in my boots"). But the scene at the camp outside of Doma shows soldiers talking about quitting if Kefka becomes the next general.

And I never knew that Kefka had been infused with magicite (I almost said Mako. Hahahaha). I guess that one must've missed me. So that's why he so f***ed up!

Good old Kefka. Now that's a villian. Such an evil guy. I mean Sephiroth was bad, but Kefka, he'd friggin work Sephi over and then bathe in his blood. Zeromus, Chaos (where did he come from), the Emporor, X-Death, Ultemecia, Kuja... They all just don't compare to Kefka. As a soldier in the Imperial Castle in Vector said:

"Kefka's scum."

Feion
    Join the club

Kefka has a Maniacal personality. He is overly done and bizarre, and I see no reason in the bossing around of his soldiers other than the sole reason to let you know that he has power, and he is not afraid to use it.

I thought this thread was about Cid?

Oh! Cloud! Your hair looks like a Chocobo!

Tifa, Final Fantasy VII

Sorry but I have to ask,
    Abominatrix:He was not the only male, he was however the first. "The process wasnt perfected yet, and something snapped in Kefka that day." Soldiers in the facility have magic, and there's even a boy in Vector we see with magic.

Where did you learn that?