Thread: They can't what, now?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Default They can't what, now?

Tell me, is it just me or is this the most pathetic thing ever?

Here.

How much power does America need to exert upon Iraq? I thought they were supposed to be helping rebuild the economy and infrastructure. All I see here is "Let's pocket a few nonexistant dollars while we're at it." :/

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't know what to say. I don't know much about how the US even treats their own farmers anymore, and whether or not their allowed to save seeds. But this is ... just.... appalling? Flabberghasting? Inane? With so much of the worlds population STARVING to death, and with as much money as we're purported to spend on it, how can it cross the mind of even a slightly moral person to destroy a food source and make poor people pay for it.

Mankind. Ugh.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

If Bush is, as some suspect, angling for oil, that is understandable. Not only is oil worth lots of money, but it keeps the US going--and it keeps us under a degree of Mid East control. If the war is indeed motivated by petrolium, then at least we have some excuses to offer to justify our actions.

But seeds? That's just pathetic.
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

Quote Originally Posted by o_O
    All I see here is "Let's pocket a few nonexistant dollars while we're at it." :/
    WHOA SURPRISE!!

Not. C'mon, who didn't see this coming?

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I really hate what companies like Monsanto are doing (I've been hearing about them for at least 5 years. Hello terminator seed.), I see a few positive points for Iraqi farmers:

1) It's unenforcable. Coalition and Iraqi forces have enough on their minds with weekly/daily bombings, so it's not like they'll go fine farmers from the middle of nowhere. I think we all agree that Iraq won't exactly be peaceful in a matter of weeks either, as much as I'd like it to happen.
    2) Given enough time, the Iraqi autorities will be able to change that law.
    3) Given enough time too, patents fall in the public domain.

And then there is Death

I am not surprised, i mean America never really truely cared for Iraq. America was in there for the oil and to cause infighting after all. I doubt USA will do anything to rebuild the infastructure, they just want everyone to adopt their way of government to sorta get into their mindset and in their influence, whether it works or not it doesnt matter as long as USA gains the money from whatever they can there.

Why it doesnt matter? Because quite simply if the new mock government works, then good for them. If it doesnt then well thats too bad isnt it? Its the "terrorists" fault. USA did nothing wrong in tearing down a government and starting war after all its the "terrorists" fault this happened.

There will always be fighting since the beginning of Iraq when the three territories "merged" since the British left the Middle East. The new government will cause lots more in-fighting and therefore weakening Iraq as a whole in which Saddam did create a semi-unified place out of when he went in power. >_> Ah well USA was always about weakening/divide and conquer in the most subtle of ways in the name of freedom.

If the war is indeed motivated by petrolium, then at least we have some excuses to offer to justify our actions.
    I dont think hundreds of people should die just for petrolium -_-; Thats just insane.

Nonetheless i feel this is just so "terrorists" cannot get food from farmers that actually still farm atm, giving American troups permission to arrest(or fire) at will for growing crops.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Nothing is absolute... UltimaLimit's Avatar

I never said America would have good excuses to offer for soldiers dying in the name of oil. My point was: at least Bush could try and argue that by controlling the oil we could break our dependence on the Mid East's oil. Or that we need the oil to keep our cars running--or (ironically) to help the war effort. It's a rotten position, but at least you have a hope in hell of trying to justify and defend it. Wheras the seed business said "private corporate interest" to me.
    I am alive I will never run away Places inside My heart screams inside with pride Once I cried Now I wipe away the tears Once I died Now I'm alive

--Alive (Korn)

And we sneak a call And we're like thieves I love the times like these Just don't say goodbye Just won't you please I'm trying to do the right thing

All my life I was in the cold Now I find I feel nothing more Leave me to learn Leave me to hurt Now I'm not so invincible

--Invincible (Static-X)

Blog Entries

I don't click links. But will somebody sum up the seed thing?
    I'm having a hard time seeing what the government can do about seeds.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Yay for Imperialism...

What's next... Iraqi's forced to buy American cars, and foods... yay, let's strengthen our economy by ruining another.

Blog Entries

So they're being forced to buy American seeds?

That isn't true. It's impossible to enforce that. But I won't complain if they start trading with America.

And once they have a plant, they'll never need to buy an American seed for it again so long as they know how to grow plants (Which they will, if they have grown one from a seed already.)

You know the whiole purpose for this war was for the american corporations to profit from the lives of those who helped htem get to the money.Thats why bush did it.Anyway I didn't want to sound mean fo rhtose who had just came back or is currently stationed in tht regioned and those who have lost friends.But the truth hurts adn those people died in another dirty war.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

It's insane that those laws exist in the US. Those laws existing in Iraq is an insane side-effect. Those laws do exist in the US from what I know, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr
    So they're being forced to buy American seeds?

That isn't true. It's impossible to enforce that. But I won't complain if they start trading with America.

And once they have a plant, they'll never need to buy an American seed for it again so long as they know how to grow plants (Which they will, if they have grown one from a seed already.)
    Unfortunately, that's not true. When seeds have a patent on them, you cannot save the seeds from any of the plants you grow from those patent seeds. They have to buy more seeds from the companies again, for every harvest.

This is causing problems world wide, and putting small farmers out of business all over the world, because they simply cannot afford to buy these new modified seeds, or to keep up with larger farming operations that have much higher yield than them.

It's a terrible thing really. They can't win either way. Oh, what can I do to change the world I wonder. Thing's are becoming so ridiculous that an honest farmer can't live a simple, honest life off the land. That American bastards and companies are claiming to OWN actual types of plants in whole, the minute they pop out of the ground.

Hey, from here on, I own all Golden Retrievers. But they can't have puppies at all, and you can't let them. And if they do have puppies I automatically own them and you cannot sell them or keep them for your own enjoyment. The only way you can get a Golden Retrieverisi from me because I have a patent on this variation of a living thing that has already has existed for thousands of years before I ever tried to change it through breeding. And in world you live in now, owning a Golden Retriever is essential to staying alive.

Good god, that pisses me off so much I just made the most non-sensical rant known to humankind.

lol man I feel ya.Its not right and not even fair but hey they do it to american farmers also.Thats why faming sucks.