Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT THE..?

Default WHAT THE..?

hey. just read the marginally official final fantasy VIII FAQ thread, and saw that it said laguna is squall's father and raine is his mother! i only just tuned into the site so i guess i missed all the debate about that, but can someone fill me in where these clues come from?!
    DIE AND BE FREE OF PAIN, OR LIVE AND FIGHT YOUR SORROW
    I'll be waiting, so if you come here, you'll find me. I PROMISE.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

These are all spoilers, of course. Especially for the ending. So yeah.

2) Kiros at the same time jokes that it's good that Squall doesn't look like his father. This implies that he knows his father well enough to jest like this. Who else does kiros know so well?

3) At the ending, Laguna visits Raine's gravesite and remembers the night he proposes to her-- offers her a ring, she slides it on her hand and he has one matching. She gets giddy, most definitely a marriage proposal.

and probably some other stuff. Like Ellone being close to Laguna and knowing Squall better than the orphanage kiddos.

Also, the moombas call Squall "Laguna" in the D-District Prison.

Oh, and this isn't really solid proof, but Laguna has Squall's card. Usually, the parent of a character has the card of their child. Rinoa's dad has her card, Zell's mom has his card, so it makes since that Laguna has his son's card.

This thing about Laguna being Squall's father has always puzzled me. I understand that thereis evidence pointing towards it in the game but...well, the game manual states the characters ages. And it says Laguna is 27 and Squall is 17. So....well wouldnt Laguna have to have fathered Squall when he was 10 then?....???

amra

Articles

Spoilers below-

Laguna is 27 years of age during his scenarios, which take place some years before the present time (assuming you're playing as Squall and company during the present time).

If you assume that Squall was conceived around the time you experience his last couple scenarios, you can add 17 to 27 and that equals out to Laguna being in his mid 40's. If you look at him during the final FMV, he clearly appears middle-aged - his skin is pale, and he has crow's feet around his eyes.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Exactly - if you'll notice in those Laguna scenarios, Ellone is like 5 YEARS OLD, and she's obviously a lot older now, so quite a bit of time has passed. Other evidence includes:

1)The fact that Raine died giving birth to Laguna's son, who then got sent off to an orpahnage with Ellone.

2)Even though Squall tries to pawn it off, he's the only one who calls Ellone "Sis." The other characters only call her that when they're quoting what Squall used to say.

3)The "love" theme of the game (which is technically official, given Nobuo Uematsu's inclusion of it in the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec anagram) doesn't really do much unless you look at the fact that Squall and Rinoa's parents (Laguna and Julia) were supposed to be together, but circumstance kept them apart. So fate intervenes and Squall and Rinoa get together, and Julia and Laguna's romance is played out through their children.

And please DON'T start to quote that Laguna is Rinoa's father. it's just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    Also, the moombas call Squall "Laguna" in the D-District Prison.
    didn't the Shumi people also mistook Squall as Laguna ? i haven't played FFVIII in a long time . n-e-ways, you can really see the resemblance between Squall/Laguna if you've played KH before . and one more thing...what's up with the water/sky names like Laguna, Raine, and Squall ?

Quote Originally Posted by SePhO_zO
    Spoilers below-

Laguna is 27 years of age during his scenarios, which take place some years before the present time (assuming you're playing as Squall and company during the present time).

If you assume that Squall was conceived around the time you experience his last couple scenarios, you can add 17 to 27 and that equals out to Laguna being in his mid 40's. If you look at him during the final FMV, he clearly appears middle-aged - his skin is pale, and he has crow's feet around his eyes.
    .......You know...I never realized that, that the manual meant he's 27 IN the dream sequences.... god I am so scatty-brained sometimes...doh

amra

Articles

Nah, it's a commonly misinterpreted detail; I initially overlooked it as well.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

It is somewhat misleading, although I think Square did it in order to not spoil for players who Laguna was and that the dreamworld was in the past - something you don't figure out until quite late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    Oh, and this isn't really solid proof, but Laguna has Squall's card. Usually, the parent of a character has the card of their child. Rinoa's dad has her card, Zell's mom has his card, so it makes since that Laguna has his son's card.
    I think it's actually very solid proof. If you look to it, it all works out.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

Default ...........

I knew something was strange when you talk to Laguna Kiros and Ward on Ragnarok. Laguna said he wanted to tell Squall something after it was all over so I guess that was it.

I think it's actually very solid proof. If you look to it, it all works out.
    Only problem is that for instance, Irvines card is held by some random bloke in Deling =P

No its held by Flo in Fishermans horizon after losing the sacred card to the Queen of cards. Flo prbably won it from the former headmaster of Galbadia garden who takes up residence moping outside the mayors house in FH.