Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF2 leveling for noobs

Default FF2 leveling for noobs

This is some info I got from the GameSpot forum. Here is the link: http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot...18572109&page=0

In case you are too lazy to copy and paste the link into your bar, I put the info in this thread:

Allright, I'm still in Altair (very begging of the game) and all my players (including minwu) have 2000 hp, 100 mp (except minwu who has 400) level 9-10 weapons, level 15 shields, and toad at 13. Here's how:

1. Start the game and equip everyone with two shields (all three characters). Start fighting the local hornets and goblins by "attacking". Let them run away eventually. Your shields will level at an ungodly rate. You wont believe it. Now everyone should be about level 12 shields.

2. Now give everyone one weapon and one buckler (shield) (except maria, give er a bow and put her on the front line too) Now spend every battle attacking one another until HP raises are decent. Shouldn't take too long. With the money go but 2 fire, 2 thunder and 2 blizzard (have 2 cure also). Equip everyone how you feel.

3. Go get minwu (spoilers) get the ring in Fynn, talk to Hilda about it.

4. With minwu attack one another around altair, but use Minwu's teleport on every creature. Get it to level 4.

5. Go to Fynn (SAVE before each battle now). Fight a captain, use teleport. You will get fire bows, golden armor, curse tomes and toad tomes. Equip them as you get them.

6. Maria should attack for about 200-300 with a fire bow if you got her bow up earlier (she should be on the front line taking damage).

7. Continually fight captains. Use every Minwu spell! They are pretty much a single casting from leveling up. Use toad on yourself every round and ensuna it with Minwu every round (double level up) Always cure with 1 or two characters to get that up after the battle(mine are all level 10).

8. Use minwu's sap to level up MP, use magic when you feel like it. If you need MP, take the canoe across the lake from Fynn to Gatrea and use the Inn. Don't worry about the cost you're getting 300-450 gil for every captain killed.

Use common sense, level up what you want. Have fun, I'm breezing through the game.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Common sense, yes............

Equipping armor or shields on anyone cripples their soul & intelligence, and usually their evasion too

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

DJZen: I thought equipping shields would boost your evasion.

/Ifrit/: Those hints are quite effective, though it takes forever to level up that way, unless you're playing FF2 DoS.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    /Ifrit/: Those hints are quite effective, though it takes forever to level up that way, unless you're playing FF2 DoS.
    Since it refernces MP, I would assume it mean DoS.

Also, yes, those are some nie little hints. But I'll stick to doing things the old fashion way, like apple pie.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Equipping armor or shields on anyone cripples their soul & intelligence, and usually their evasion too
    In my experience the level of a magic is much more important than your soul or intelligence levels, with the exception of status inducing spells, which I tend to avoid using usually. Besides my soul + int usually go up quite a bit regardless whilst playing.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Paladin_Cecil
    Since it refernces MP, I would assume it mean DoS.

Also, yes, those are some nie little hints. But I'll stick to doing things the old fashion way, like apple pie.
    FF2 has always had MP, even in the Famicon version. Apple pie?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

DJZen: I thought equipping shields would boost your evasion.
    Shields raise evasion minimally (the best shield raises it by 10, the worst raises it by 4), but armor turns you into a walking target. The Genji Armor ALONE reduces it by 79. Intelligence and Spirit get affected much more. ALL shields have an int/spirit penalty of 70, the Diamond Helmet has a penalty of 34, and the Ice Armor has a penalty of 72. If you're trying to make a character a mage, you're better off giving them crappy equipment.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I just wanted to add that even if you're not a n00b you may use these leveling up techniques as well.
    Figaro Castle

leveling Minh's(sorry i'm old school) warp takes way too long imho. I follow the same techniques you said, except the shield one, but take it one step further. I usually go to semite falls and get the warp book there so I can cancel trick it to a decent lvl (dont say the cancel trick is cheating, if they didnt want it in there they would've gotten rid of it in newer versions)

another strategy i used to use was to go north of Phin and kill Sorcerers to get Beserk tomes and stuff like that. they're 5000 a piece. then try to get down to mysidia and get swaps and weapons and armor that are godly at that point of the game.
    Last edited by Dragonfire; 02-03-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just deequipped frioniel of all his equipment, and the only stats that changed went down, instead of up.

Is the 'omg soul and intelligence dies!' a DoS thing then? I did it with guy and maria also and had similar results. They've got stuff like ice and flame shields, diamond armor.

FF2 has always had MP, even in the Famicon version. Apple pie?
    :laughing:

Crap, been talking DoS FF1 too much.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

the tips are okay but is there an easy way to get my HP and attack up early in the game

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yeah, attack each other to low hit points.
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    I just deequipped frioniel of all his equipment, and the only stats that changed went down, instead of up.

Is the 'omg soul and intelligence dies!' a DoS thing then? I did it with guy and maria also and had similar results. They've got stuff like ice and flame shields, diamond armor.

The information I'm basing this on is from the Famicom version's code. The stat changes probably don't apply until battle or something. Or who knows, maybe the bytes are in the code but they were never gotten to work. Or something equally ridiculous. Nasir may have been a very good programmer, but he sure knew how to leave tons of sloppy code lying around. For example, in FFI (for NES/FC) Intelligence seems to not do anything at all. I have yet to hear a real explanation of what this stat does by someone who's hacked the game to pieces. Soul/Int and Agi penalties may work the same way. For all I know, NONE of the bytes attached to weapons and armor work properly, all I can say is what it appears they were meant to do.

Also, if you want me to give you the specific attributes of any weapon or armor, just say so and I'll gladly give it.

well i ak on my way to the mythril cavern but the monsters keep killing me. what should i do ? almost all my people have 100 HP and lvl 3 stuff. but they are hard any tips that are easy to understand plaese give them to me thank you.Also is they a chatroom here or is it only a fourm. one more thing how do yall get those pictures on yalls thing when you reply they are all so cool i want one.