Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was FF9 too much fantasy

Default Was FF9 too much fantasy

It seems that the trend set by seven continued through all the FF's except 9, which appeared heavily fantasy. I may be wrong but from alot of people i know FF9 seems the odd one out and one of the least liked.

Was there too much fantasy in FF9

personally i feel so, but there were still plenty of things i liked

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is nothing wrong with a lot of fantasy. It is Final Fantasy after all. Not Final Reality. If anything Final Fantasy VIII didn't have enough fantasy.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

I thought FF9 was one of the better games because it was so unlike reality, but yet in their realm it was all possible and believable.

It seems that the trend set by seven continued through all the FF's except 9
    Exactly what trend? the only trend that follows your analysis is the badness trend. 7=awesome, 8= bad, X = bad, X-2 = horrible. The only one not in that decline is 9 where 9 = pretty decent.

Not to knock X, but it was a fun game and was VERY entertaining and had a cool story, but it was too short and too sidequest driven.

So your answer? FF9 is fine, noit too much fantasy at all.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

I didnt like the medieval theme, there was too much of it though I loved the game.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

chaos: All Final Fantasies were good someway, but when compared to others, are bashed way too much. Too much Fantasy? Yes, that's what made it a great game. FFIV had too much Fantasy, as did V, VI. They all had a ton of fantasy one way. FFX-2 had "too much" fantasy as well, with people from a thousand years ago constantly travelling around.

Rubedo: I loved FFIX. People from different races working together

me being the bitter person i am i hate it when people say
    "why is FFIX not the same as normal FFs like FFVII?"
    its a really silly thing to say!! (sorry)
    FFVII was brillient but as with all of them, very different!
    FFIX is like FFV and FFVI (in a way) but very fantasy!

sorry i ranted

i love FFIX! its the best!

Trust No one

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

A Final Fantasy game having too much fantasy? Is such a thing even possible?

I mean really, everyone should know that ff9's purpose was to make a tribute to the roots of final fantasy, which means it's SUPPOSED to have a lot of fantasy.

A Final Fantasy game having too much fantasy? Is such a thing even possible?
    of course not!! i mean just look at the name people, "final fantasy", get it? final FANTASY "!!!

I don't believe that any Final Fantasy game could ever have too much Fantasy. Finaly Fantasy IX may have been a bit too cartooney, but it had a(n) excellent story line. For that, I am not ashamed of playing it. However, they could have left Ozma out of the game, but than again what would be a challenge without a few "hidden" bosses like Hades, Ozma, etc? So, there never is a game that has too much Fantasy to be a Fantasy game.

Did you think any different of Square-Enix (Presently Squaresoft) at the release of FF Tactics, no and I hope not.

Fantasy by definition means: The creative imagination (a.) Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.

So whoever's imagination thought up the realm of Final Fantasy is a master in the art of Fantasy, and they will live in my Heart and hopefully everyone in this forums also.

Hironobu Sakaguchi will be remembered when he is gone..

Off-topic..Did anyone know that he was inducted into the Hall of Fame by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences?

Just a bit of news I thought I would share

Oh! Cloud! Your hair looks like a Chocobo!

Tifa, Final Fantasy VII

ok, it seems alot of people didnt understand my point so i will try to put it another way.

Fantasy is classically goblins and trolls, medieval or period setting, style and clothing with minimal technology, such as Dragonlance or tolkien.

FF7, 8, 10 and X2 all possed a future'istic feel and design/look. Certainly 9 had airships and industry, but it was really underdeveloped and heavily overshadowed by magic and period, it had returned much more to the grass roots of fantasy in almost every way.

Im not saying this is bad, im saying that 9 was very Fantasy driven and stands out from the other FF's, in my opinion.

Theres other things that made this game bottom of my list, but then i feel it has some of the best FMV of the FF's and it has the best character ever, the four armed bandit.

Online here it's easy to get similar oppinions, but i know alot of FF fans who never visit these sites and didnt like FF9.

~and~ I am not saying you did say it was bad!

Oh! Cloud! Your hair looks like a Chocobo!

Tifa, Final Fantasy VII

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

"Fantasy" is anything that is not mundane. Star Wars has just as much "fantasy" as Lord of the Rings, just as FF7 has just as much "fantasy" as FF9.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

i dont really understand why people hate 9 :/ its deffinatley one of my favorites in the series.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krang
    There is nothing wrong with a lot of fantasy. It is Final Fantasy after all. Not Final Reality. If anything Final Fantasy VIII didn't have enough fantasy.
    Sums up what I was about to say. I love FFIX the most, and largely because it has so many elements that really define "fantasy" for me.
    rawr

FF9 is my personal favourite - though I understand what people are saying when they say " too much " fantasy that's the point , the medieval theme was intended as a tribute to the entire series by returning to it's origins. I think FF9's lack of popularity within much of the established FF fanbase is due to being over-familiar with the futuristic outlook and " feel " of it's two predecessors , so they were rather alienated from the medieval theme of 9. However it's a great game that I'd rank as probably one of the most outstanding in the entire series ...

And yeah , the Four-Armed Bandit was cool ,but Amarant would beat him hands down !