Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: the #eoff party - Newbies, Chat, Stats and Hats!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You can say that there are nice people in chat to newbies, but I really have not seen it. I don't recall anyone with an FF name joining #eoff and lasting very long and becoming a member of a community, and eh, I first went to #eoff in 2002 (And the first time I did certain EoFFers who currently go by the names of "Lindy" and "MecaKane" were jerks to me for no apparent reason, but eh, I beautifully outwitted them in a discussion about boxes, but most newbies lack my skills of discussing boxes. It's a rare gift!) and if I haven't seen it in roughly 2 years - admittedly I have not been a regular for all of that - then I somewhat doubt that it occurs. And the whole idea of warming them to the group is getting them to stay...something seems to be failing.

Your song, while intended to be lighthearted, merely highlights these prejudices and difficulties. And as for the party believing all that about chat flavour and the like? Yeah, OK. Maybe you personally believe that, and I'm not going to say that you don't, but it seems to me that BoB made his same old party, and tacked #eoff onto it just to gain more members as he knows his popularity is dwindling.

Butt head :coolnakedgreeniepandanamedmegan:

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can only give my interpretation of what I hope the party is meant for. I like chat, and I like newbies and I like new friends so I hope more newbies come to chat so I can be their friend, as long as they're nice newbies and not meanies. I still don't think my song highlights the demerits of chat, as much as it satirizes it. It's not meant to be taken seriously. No one is really malicious or hateful. David doesn't ban everything that breathes, and even if he did someone would put a stop to it.

I like my song, even if I did rip the idea off from someone else.

PS: Newbie and vet alike are in chat as we speak, talking about the SuperBowl. There are at my count TWO people with usernames that are Sephiroth references, and neither of them has been teased or derided yet.

POOPHEAD

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles

Well, I can believe that you are nice to newbies. But not everyone in #eoff is. And no, I don't specifically mean being malicious or hateful. I mean not making them feel welcome, and a part of the community by generally ignoring them and using in-jokes and references like there's no tomorrow. It's not overt spitefulness by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly wouldn't boost their self-esteem and make them want to come back.

PS: Yeah, and what happens when those newbs want to talk about which dressphere is the best to equip to Paine in FFX-2 in order to fight (SPOILER)Dark Bahamut in Bevelle? And eh, I didn't say EVERY newbie with an FF name was derided, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Sephiroths was Sephiroth1999AD (Or maybe another Sephiroth established at these boards, such as Sephiroth.)

BUTTHEAD :elk:

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, Sephiroth1999AD hasn't been there in a while. One is fairly new to the forums, and one isn't related to the forums at all, to my knowledge. HAHA THERE YOU GO WITH YOUR ASSUMPTIONS POOPHEAD DID IT GET YOU A SHINEY NICKEL, NOPE.

And I don't know anything about FFX-2. Not many people talk about it. I can tell you that, typically, while some people do get a slap for asking questions about certain FF's, someone usually helps them out.

We'll never be finished with this argument, because we're both repeating the same stuff. Just two different sides of it, I guess. BUT MINE IS BETTER/COOLER/ER!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Deion Branch tied a Super Bowl record with 11 receptions. Just a random stat for you guys.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've chatted with several people about FF in the chat room. Not that long ago me and some random newbie were comparing Cids from the various FFs.

So yeah.

Articles

As a matter of fact, it did.

And so therefore if people get a slap for asking such questions, surely you people should sort out your attitudes and the attitudes of your peers before complaining that the chat community is "losing its flavour".

Yeah, I agree so now I will probably go to sleep. Except for the last sentence, I don't agree with that. You know why? BECAUSE THE #EOFF PARTY IS A SOCCY SUCKY PARTY! VIVA LA BAoTW RESISTANCE!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You give that back!

I wasn't complaining myself. I was trying to speak for other people. OOPS THERE I GO WITH MY ASSUPMTIONS AGAIN.

Still cooler than you~

Bah. jc's sig SUCKS. But I don't want to have to make one tonight.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

I'm not in #eoff much, but count me in.

*goes to code a special countdown sig*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We just keep growing.

And Psy, you're wrongwrongwrong. It's not anti-newbie in there. The advice that foa was giving applies to both oldbies and newbies. If an oldbie was to go in there and typ lik dis then, unless they are krissy (who is "special"), they would get a good slapping around the ears. In fact, you could say that it's pro-newbie because the song is directed to helping newbies, whereas oldbies have to figure it out themselves. It all makes sense!

*adds Samuraid*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Can I join the party?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Sure! Good to have you on board, Antenna. Hmm... Do you have any preferred nickname? [/random curiosity]

EDIT: Alright, everyone, list off 1-3 forums you would like to represent and I'll hopefully find something for everyone! May turn into a first-in-first-serve ordeal though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Feedback forum.

General Chat, EoEo or World Events.
    lol signature