Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Your thoughts on Kefka...

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He is one of the first villians to have a decent sense of humour compare to the villians from FF1 - FF5.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Why would they make a game where the player must decide what's right or wrong to do? Instead, it's much easier for all parties to simply say "this is what's wrong, fix it", and we go on our merry way. Was there a question that we should destroy Kefka and the Statues, because without curative magic, it'd be much harder to help people?
    I would love to see a game like that. It would put a deeper meaning into the game, which is what I would prefer even though it's just a game.

i also love how in the ending of FF6, when the airship is flying around, the land and sea have reverted to happy sunshine land again, despite the damage done by kefka.

oh! the statues are gone, and kefka are gone. everything's better!
    nihowma buffet? $4.65 please!

i have a Yoshitaka amano "dawn" art book for sale, only damage to it is on the corners, and that's from the convention i originally got it from. PM me if you're interested, and feel free to make an offer. i'm flexible. also mail me at lord_skeletor_1983@yahoo.com

thanks!

Kefka is the evilestest guy ever.
    Call me a treasure hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    He's well-developed, it's easy to understand he wants to control the world, and he believes what he's doing is for his greater good. Makes sense.
    Yes, but being selfish and wanting to destroy and/or control the world are traits shared by a lot of the other villains that fit into the stereotype I mentioned. I'm going to pass on how well-developed he is--as someone mentioned before, a lot of his story is hidden, and I wouldn't be surprised if I've managed to miss most of it.

This is a video game, buddy, not 1930s Germany. Maybe a little less serious, yathink?
    I realize that. I'm really not trying to say that there's anything wrong with the way Kefka is portrayed, just that it's not my cup of tea--more serious villains and stories are. You are talking to someone who obsesses over Xenogears, after all.

Again, this is a video game. It's not easy to make a video game character scary, especially with 16-bit graphics. I'd say Kefka is realistic and believable enough, and as scary as he could be at the time.
    Well, you have a point about the 16-bit graphics thing. Now that I think about it, a lot of the villains I was mentally comparing him to were from later games--not really a fair comparison to make, considering the advances in technology that were made.

But the main reason I say he's not very believable or scary is because he strikes me as a very comical character. With the clown get-up and lines like "Son of a submariner!" (and the infamous self-help booklet line, etc.), it's hard for me to take him seriously, because he's always making me laugh. And again, I personally prefer a more serious villain/story.

Where I do see your point, and somewhat agree with you (on all your points), again, this is a game. Why would they make a game where the player must decide what's right or wrong to do?
    Actually, I think that would be very interesting. It could give your brain exercise and inspire a lot of thought, if it was done well. Obviously, it wouldn't be for everyone, but what is?
    However, the above is just my opinion and could be completely wrong.

"If there's one thing I believe, it's that I don't know anything and anything can happen." ~ Amy Lee

Oh my, come back from the grave just in time...

For one, this thread is intended to get oppinions on Kefka, not to enforce oppions on everyone else. I see no problem with someone not liking Kefka, even though I am an advid fan of the great Kefka. As long as the oppinions are supported with reasons for those oppinions, that's good enough for me.

Xenogears and Xenosaga are wonderful games. I am as well a hard core XG/XS fan.

It was mentioned that Kefka justs fits the mold of the other FF villains? There I would have to disagree. Please allow me to explain why.

Kefka was the first true human villian in the FF series. The only other human villian before him was the Emperor of Palmaceia (FF2j). X-Death doesn't count because he turned into some tree thing.

Kefka was the first villain in the FF series that turned on his superior. Kefka so foar has been the only FF vilian to accomplish his goal. And Kefka's reason were clearly laid out....

"I am going to create a monument to nonexistence."
    "What fun is it if no prescious lives were lost?"

Kefka was an experiment gone wrong. An experiment of infusing Magitek power into a person. After that something snaped in him and he went mad. He was not some badarse carrying around a long sword wanting to return the world to the ancients. He was not some crazy person looking to live on forever, he was not some self-righteous person seeking to save the world by becoming something worse. No, he just wanted to be god and destroy everything, which he did. He actually won.

He is the only FF villain to accutally cause the heros to become depressed and lose faith...

~Celes attempting sucide~
    "I just don't have the will to fight anymore.."
    ~Strago becoming a worshipper of Kefka."

He definetly is not in the same mold as the other FF villains.

I am currently trying to recover from a near fatal car accident. I may not be online much for awhile as sitting behind a computer is hard to do. But I will check in from time to time...

You say you want to hear the truth? I say that you are lying! You do not want the truth. Instead you want to hear a well crafted lie mixed with half truths that you find more appealing than the real truth.

The Legend of Mythus

Default :|

I am very sorry to hear about you being in a car accident.
    I hope you get well very soon!

But uh yes...
    About Kefka.
    I think he's definitely an interesting character.
    Makes you want to know more about his past life and why he turned out the way he did...

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero
    Why would they make a game where the player must decide what's right or wrong to do? Instead, it's much easier for all parties to simply say "this is what's wrong, fix it", and we go on our merry way. Was there a question that we should destroy Kefka and the Statues, because without curative magic, it'd be much harder to help people?
    I would love to see a game like that. It would put a deeper meaning into the game, which is what I would prefer even though it's just a game.

Have neither of you played Star Wars KOTOR I or II? You spend the whole game decided if you want to do the good thing or the evil thing, and the story changes depending on your actions (More so in II) So they've already made a game like tht. Unless of course I misinterpreted what you both meant.

well he reminds me of Chuckie.
    looks a little as a clown too

The truth within other mostly lies within your own
    truth wich only can be discovered by yourself wich
    means you have to discover your own truth to get to
    the truth within other that only the bearer himself can
    discover to let other people know about his/her truth
    wich means I'm not talking any sense now.